C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems after installing external LED bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 10:04 AM
v6turbo87
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Problems after installing external LED bulbs

Having an issue on my 99 after installing external LED bulbs. First I DO HAVE a hyperflash harness installed. I started at the front of the car an put in the bulbs at each corner and tested the operation as I installed the bulbs. All worked fine until I had all the LED bulbs in. When I turn on the left blinker it works fine. If I turn on the right blinker all four of the blinkers flash, the rear side markers flash and the cluster back lights flash! If I put 2 stock regular bulbs in the right rear tail lights everything works fine. Here is another odd issue....if I have all the LED bulbs in and I press the LOCK on my fob the alarm goes off!!! If I put the 2 stock regular bulbs back in the right side the fob locks the car fine with no alarm. Admittedly I am using Ebay LED bulbs but I bought 4 taillamp bulbs from Superbight LEDS (made in Taiwan on the boxes) and had the same problem. Do I need to put in load resistors? I was under the impression with a hyperflash harness that load resistors were not needed? Anyone have any input on this?
Old 04-02-2017, 11:09 AM
jcgunn
Melting Slicks

Received 278 Likes on 185 Posts

I have LED switchbacks and a hyperflash harness and everything works great. When I tried LED brake lights, everything went crazy (like you describe). I went back to regular brake lights and all is well.

Quick Reply: Problems after installing external LED bulbs