C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tech II and HP Tuners Failure to communicate

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 01:00 PM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

Do you think the serial data link tester is a tool worth having? In both the video and your particular case the tester got you to a point and then you had to get creative to pinpoint the source of the problem.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:10 PM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 971 Likes on 783 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by EZGone
I didn't have any codes at all. I had zero communication until hooking up the kent moore tool. My experience with the kent moore tool and the Tech II is very limited, so I really had no idea what I was looking for. After using them together I had tons of codes and no idea where to start.

So I decided to further isolate the problem using the star connector cap.
Did you ever try using the DIC to pull hour codes? Just curious
Old 05-02-2017, 11:07 AM
EZGone
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Greg,
Now that I know how to isolate them individually and then test for communication... I would say no. But I'm sure it would be helpful to more experienced tech II users because I feel I was not able to fully utilize either tool. I think removing each module 1 at a time is really the easiest method to find the source of a serial data bus issue and its also the cheapest option if you don't have the kent moore tool.

Smoken,
The list of codes on the DIC was too cumbersome to sort through. We had done things like swapping the PCM, BCM, door modules, etc. So it was picking up tons of unrelated codes. I suppose on a car that was recently running and tuned that suddenly lost communication through the OBD II port it might have less codes and therefore easier to track the issue. No doubt in my mind that one of the codes was linking to the EBCM being the issue.
The following 2 users liked this post by EZGone:
Greg_E (05-02-2017), Smoken1 (05-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 01:44 PM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

Thanks for that info. I was thinking that the serial data bus tester would be a nice companion tool to have with the Tech 2 but I have no immediate need for it and may never have. As long as I have an alternate method for testing, the money is better spent on other things.

I'm kind of surprised an disappointed that the Kent Moore tool isn't able to get you to the final resolution.

For future reference, here are the pin assignments for the DLC and star connectors for a 2004. If troubleshooting a different year verify the pin assignments and wire colors are the same. When I looked at the 1999 manual for my car it didn't show (or I couldn't find) the star connectors.
Attached Images
The following users liked this post:
EZGone (05-03-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 08:06 PM
ZZ06
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Thanks for posting back what you found and how you went about it. I'm sure your hard efforts will help another poor soul one day. Believe me
EZGone (05-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 07:16 AM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by EZGone
Greg,
Now that I know how to isolate them individually and then test for communication... I would say no. But I'm sure it would be helpful to more experienced tech II users because I feel I was not able to fully utilize either tool. I think removing each module 1 at a time is really the easiest method to find the source of a serial data bus issue and its also the cheapest option if you don't have the kent moore tool.
I was rereading the article that I added to my post with the link to the video. Another use for the Kent Moore tool is to use it in isolation mode for PCM programming, so it's not money wasted.

"This isolates the PCM from all the
controllers on board and directly links PCM to the data
link connector to program the PCM in isolation mode.
This prevents any controller network noise from affecting
PCM programming."

I think that when K-Spaz was programming his PCM without the Kent Moore tool this is what happened and it bricked his PCM.
EZGone (05-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 08:37 AM
EZGone
Advanced

Originally Posted by Greg_E
I was rereading the article that I added to my post with the link to the video. Another use for the Kent Moore tool is to use it in isolation mode for PCM programming, so it's not money wasted.

"This isolates the PCM from all the
controllers on board and directly links PCM to the data
link connector to program the PCM in isolation mode.
This prevents any controller network noise from affecting
PCM programming."

I think that when K-Spaz was programming his PCM without the Kent Moore tool this is what happened and it bricked his PCM.
I never thought of using it for that. But definitely makes sense to utilize it for that. We will definitely be doing so. I told him the Kent Moore tool can be added to his arsenal. I have no way to use it without his Tech II.

Thanks for the info.

Brian
Old 05-22-2017, 11:16 AM
EZGone
Advanced

Update:
The tuning capabilities were restored after installing a replacement EBCM.

However communication with the TCS was never restored(via both obdII port and the DIC). Which I did not realize because all I cared about at the time was gaining communication to the PCM Via HP tuners.

Since the car idles now we wanted to finish it up to run it around the block. So we tried to bleed the brakes using the Tech 2 but no communication with the TCS quickly halted that. Left puzzled we decided to install another ABS harness to see if we could quickly solve the issue(having access to our parts inventory is quite handy). Low and behold we now have communication with the TCS. At least via the DIC, I did not check communication with the TECH 2 but I would assume it now has communication since it restored communication with the DIC.

That was late last night and it'll likely be a few days until we can see if we can bleed the brakes and clear some of the codes.

I'll keep this thread updated for the simple fact it may indeed help someone in the future.

Brian

Quick Reply: Tech II and HP Tuners Failure to communicate