C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service message bundle

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 05:27 PM
Barry6547
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Service message bundle

I bought my 2001 C5 (manual 6-speed) a little over 2 months ago. It had 20,000 miles on it...was driven all those years with the 1st to 4th shifting still intact...and was kept in pristine condition. It looks absolutely new, fresh.

When I brought it home I had all the fluids, belts, etc., changed....had the skip shift eliminator installed...had the LMC5 with brown wire modification taken care of as well. After having had the car for a little over a week I took it to the local dealership as I was getting the service messages: Service ABS, Service Active Handling, Service Traction System. The main Corvette guy at the service facility fixed it by tapping a couple of places with a hammer and an extension. It took a couple of times, but apparently that saved me what I was told could have been a $1,000.00 replacement figure. As I was ready to drive off, dodging a substantial bullet, the guy said the car probably needs to be driven.

It has been about 2 months since I had those service messages. Today, I broke loose from work (had been 5 days since driving the Vette) and with the windows down drove all over town, everywhere...so enjoyable.....and enroute to my veterinarian's office those service lights came on again; however, when I was leaving the vet's office, the service lights were gone. Had they not been, I was going to ask you kind folks (because I cannot remember) the exact location where the service guy tapped to make those service messages go away....so if anyone knows for sure I would appreciate the info. as I will not forget this time! And, perhaps my little car was telling me I need to be driving it ...a lot more...more often...as it is over 16 years old and is hardly even broken in, it seems.

I enjoy the car so much....I must overcome the concerns about people doing bad things to it when it is parked and out of my view...and have more great times like today! Barry
Old 04-24-2017, 06:33 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Oops

Last edited by SG Lou; 04-24-2017 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:37 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

From seeing the messages you got I'd say he probably, no make that most likely helped a slightly un used EBCM aka electronic brake control module.
A faulty EBCM will set those messages. Yours was probably hung up from not being used. Just like the mechanic said. I would pull the codes and let us know what you have stored. H is history codes and C is for current codes.

Watch this video carefully. It shows how to pull codes, clear individual codes or clear all codes:

Last edited by SG Lou; 04-24-2017 at 06:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Barry6547 (04-24-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Service message bundle

Quick Reply: Service message bundle