C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window motor/regulator

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 11:01 AM
huesmann
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Window motor/regulator

My passenger side window has stopped rolling up and down again (2004 targa coupe). It happened once before and self-resolved—no idea how, just by sitting.

Anyway, it's happened again. When I press the up and down buttons (drivers side and passenger side) I hear a little click coming from the area of the speaker, a bit like a relay, but no movement. Fortunately for me, it's stuck in the up position!

Is this indicative of a regulator and/or motor ***'y that needs to be replaced, or an electrical issue? Should I replace just the motor, or the motor and regulator as an assembly?

Last edited by huesmann; 04-26-2017 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:13 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by huesmann
My passenger side window has stopped rolling up and down again (2004 targa coupe). It happened once before and self-resolved—no idea how, just by sitting.

Anyway, it's happened again. When I press the up and down buttons (drivers side and passenger side) I hear a little click coming from the area of the speaker, a bit like a relay, but no movement. Fortunately for me, it's stuck in the up position!

Is this indicative of a regulator and/or motor ***'y that needs to be replaced, or an electrical issue? Should I replace just the motor, or the motor and regulator as an assembly?
I just went through this. If you hear the relay click for both up and down operation of the switch then it's the regulator.

here is my post :

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...placement.html
Old 04-26-2017, 11:29 AM
huesmann
Burning Brakes

Thanks! Do I need to fool around with the plug if I have a 2004?

Last edited by huesmann; 04-26-2017 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:41 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Thanks! Do I need to fool around with the plug if I have a 2004?
Mine is a 04 and I had to change the plug.
Very first picture shows the difference between the old and new plug.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:44 AM
huesmann
Burning Brakes

Minor question though: why would the regulator need to be replaced, and not just the motor? Is it just easier to replace as an assembly?
Old 04-26-2017, 11:51 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Minor question though: why would the regulator need to be replaced, and not just the motor? Is it just easier to replace as an assembly?
You'd have to remove the pulley assembly when you pull the motor. If you unravel the cable and trust me you will, there is only one way that it can go back together. More trouble then it's worth, These regulators do not come with bolt on replaceable motors, much easier to replace the entire unit.

Last edited by SG Lou; 04-26-2017 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:59 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Check out this thread and you tell me which of the 2 options is the easiest with the least amount of hassle, Rebuild or Replace ?

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...uild-pics.html

Last edited by SG Lou; 04-26-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:48 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,213 Likes on 774 Posts

Before you dig into the door, try the method I coined as the 'window wack method'.
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Window Wack Method.doc (131.0 KB, 48 views)
Old 04-26-2017, 04:31 PM
midnight01
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I have an 01 and just replaced my assembly. I picked up a brand new one for 50.00 and had it installed in about an hour taking my time. it sucks that it wont roll down because getting it aligned is going to be a pain, when you start the job see if you can push it down a little so you can see the alignment tabs and get it as close as you can. Its not that hard to do, just when you put it back in compared to when it is out will have yo scratching your head.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:26 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rrwirsi
Before you dig into the door, try the method I coined as the 'window wack method'.
I did the wack method....lasted about a week. Now do I keep wacking it every other week to make it work...and hope the window is UP when it finally dies for good or just replace the damn thing and be done with it ?
I choose the latter.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:49 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by SG Lou
I did the wack method....lasted about a week. Now do I keep wacking it every other week to make it work...and hope the window is UP when it finally dies for good or just replace the damn thing and be done with it ?
I choose the latter.
Well said...
The following users liked this post:
SG Lou (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 04:19 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,213 Likes on 774 Posts

I choose the latter.
Like Einstein theory of insanity, keep doing the same and expect different results. So far, no further problems with mine going on 3 months using the wack method.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:03 PM
jcgunn
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 184 Posts

The regulator/motor assembly is a generic part (used on several GM and Saturn) vehicles. They are pretty cheap at Rockauto and as the others have said, not too bad of a job to replace. The fine adjustments for my vert were a bit tedious.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:16 AM
huesmann
Burning Brakes

Check out this thread and you tell me which of the 2 options is the easiest with the least amount of hassle, Rebuild or Replace ?

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...uild-pics.html
If you have to unwind the cables to R&R only the motor, it does look like your "replace" method is the Easy Button.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:00 PM
Rastan
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 03 did the same thing. It slowly stopped working, I would then hear the clicking sound. The dealer wanted $700 to fix it. I paid $100 for them to determine the regulator was bad. I got a new one from Ecklers for $160 and another $100 to install it. So for half their price I'm up and running.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:22 PM
huesmann
Burning Brakes

Just wanted to follow up on this. I bought one of these from Amazon. Used this as a guide and installed it. No muss, no fuss. Connector plugged in with no fooling around, window works great, just as good as the one on the drivers side.
The following users liked this post:
SG Lou (06-22-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 02:40 PM
midnight01
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Just wanted to follow up on this. I bought one of these from Amazon. Used this as a guide and installed it. No muss, no fuss. Connector plugged in with no fooling around, window works great, just as good as the one on the drivers side.
My driver side went on me, luckily the window was up when it happened. All it did was grind. I bought a new one from Amazon for 49.00. A couple weeks later the passenger side went out because when I replaced the speakers i pulled the whole wiring harness out of the door by accident which caused a short circuit and fried the window regulator somehow. Anyways i bought a new one and then fixed the wiring issue and the alignment has been a nightmare for both sides even though I got a black marker and marked where the old regulator met the glass.

THEN I found that the idiot who owned the car before me replaced it before......one of the areas where the bolt goes through was destroyed because they forced it off and ripped out the fiberglass. What a nightmare that was to find a way to secure the regulator so it wasn't loose and causing the window to rattle.

Get notified of new replies

To Window motor/regulator

Quick Reply: Window motor/regulator