C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocker arm Trunion upgrade options?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 09:58 PM
19corvette98
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocker arm Trunion upgrade options?

I am currently working on a 98 C5 Corvette.
I am swapping to a cam with .600 lift paired with a .660 dual spring.

What are my options for trunion upgrades and what do you suggest? Are you running your suggestion? How many miles do you have on your setup? Any issues?

Really I am debating bushing vs needle.

The reason I am asking is I went with with the Comp Cams Trunion upgrade kit and I am disappointed with the quality of their product. They were shipped in plastic bags within a cardboard box. So the trunions were bouncing off each other in shipping. Several had nicks on the trunion bearing journal (where the needles contact). Also while inspecting the bearings I found that 2 needles out of a bearing were missing (they offered to send a replacement). I also did not like that many users saw the needle bearings wear into the trunion with this kit..

Last edited by 19corvette98; 05-03-2017 at 08:24 AM.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:01 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Had that happen to some caliper pistons I bought. When they arrived they were useless due to the gouges in the metal sealing surface.

I personally prefer the bronze bushings being sold by Chris Straub.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:31 AM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts

I second the Straub kit. It's also repackaged under other vendor's names...I bought mine from ColoradoSpeed.

I like the brass bushings instead of needle bearings. The kit is high quality, install a breeze and they're very quiet.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:33 AM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

the trunions a supposed to be hardened. if they have nicks because of bouncing against each other thats really weird.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:49 AM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,284 Likes on 1,938 Posts

I chose the Straub design.

I'm glad it is more commonly known now, too.

Though if anyone wants a comp kit, I do have one nib which I had bought and then decided against.
Old 05-03-2017, 12:21 PM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 971 Likes on 783 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by Tusc
I chose the Straub design.

I'm glad it is more commonly known now, too.

Though if anyone wants a comp kit, I do have one nib which I had bought and then decided against.
At least I'm not the only one to have nib extra set that I never used
Old 05-03-2017, 04:13 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

my comps with less than 10k miles... needless to say they were replaced with straub's kit

Old 05-03-2017, 06:44 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

This has been discussed numerous times, but anyway, here's my $0.02.....

I initially installed the Comp Cams kit, years ago, when OE failures were first noted, and the Comp Cams kit became available. My car is a stock C-5, and driven in a "reasonable" manner.

I became concerned, last year, when reports started coming in about the Comp trunnions were showing wear issues. The Straub trunnions were available at that time, so I removed the Comp trunnion kit, and installed the Straub bushing kit.

Conclusions....my Comp trunnions didn't show any wear. The Straub bushings significantly reduce valvetrain noise. The cost for each kit is similar. In retrospect, I probably should have gone with the CHE bushings, years ago, because over time, the cost would have been the same. Yes, CHE wanted $400 to install their bushings/trunnions in my rocker arms (no "kits" available for DIY), and yes, there would have been more "down time" for the car, but OTOH, I would have done the job only once.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:16 PM
493lszosix
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 104 Posts

I decided to replace my comp cams a couple months ago with the straub kit after seeing pics of some of the wear issues, these have about 23 thousand miles on them, a few of them showed no wear while most looked like the ones on the right
Old 05-03-2017, 09:26 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

493lszosix, is your car cammed?... it seems like the cars with cams are having the wear issues and cars with stock cams not so much, as in leadfoot4's case... and the op is installing a cam so I personally would stay away from comp... I brought it to their attention after taking mine apart and they tossed me around to a few representatives all of which said they had never seen this problem before which I found strange and ultimately they quit communicating with me... to my understanding the general consensus is that there is a hardness issue with comp's kit that causes them to fail, hopefully they rectify the issue so their parts don't continue to fail for people that are unaware of what could happen

Last edited by neutron82; 05-03-2017 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:27 PM
ZZ06
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Sigh....IRC I sent my stock rockers to Brian Tooley. Alas it was the comp upgrade that went into them. They were used with the second cam as I was becoming nervous after my first cam was ate by a lifter. Now the rockers are in my stroker. You guys can make a man nervous If I had to take a stab at the miles on them since the trunion upgrade, id say somewhere in the ball park of 20k+ miles. No issues thus far. Then again I'm not a track junkie either so....
Old 05-03-2017, 10:43 PM
493lszosix
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 104 Posts

[QUOTE=neutron82;1594664321]493lszosix, is your car cammed?

Yes it's cammed, first with lg g5x2 and now has the x3 their around.600 lift, I took a couple off and they didn't seem to have any play in them or feel loose but decided to go ahead and freshen it up before track opened this year, I don't know if they would have come apart but glad I changed them
Old 05-04-2017, 03:53 PM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

My comps were trash in about 4kmi, with cam and HPDE use. When I get a chance I'll measure the hardness of the trunnion. The roller bearings are too small for me to measure.

I replaced with CHE bushings.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:49 PM
marc a
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by DetroitPlac
I second the Straub kit. It's also repackaged under other vendor's names...I bought mine from ColoradoSpeed.

I like the brass bushings instead of needle bearings. The kit is high quality, install a breeze and they're very quiet.

I went the Colorado Speed route as well. Came packaged in such way as it was impossible for the trunions to touch each other. Bushings were packed in pairs end to end so they could scratch or dent.

Very happy with the quality and concept.

Marc

Last edited by marc a; 05-09-2017 at 11:43 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:13 AM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,284 Likes on 1,938 Posts

So what is the issue with the Comps.... more a material problem, design issue, or just general lack of lubrication?
Old 05-09-2017, 07:43 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

So what is the issue with the Comps.... more a material problem, design issue, or just general lack of lubrication?
If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say it's a combination of materials and design. Too soft or not properly hardened a material, for the high valve spring rates of "big" camshafts.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:17 AM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by neutron82
493lszosix, is your car cammed?... it seems like the cars with cams are having the wear issues and cars with stock cams not so much, as in leadfoot4's case... and the op is installing a cam so I personally would stay away from comp... I brought it to their attention after taking mine apart and they tossed me around to a few representatives all of which said they had never seen this problem before which I found strange and ultimately they quit communicating with me... to my understanding the general consensus is that there is a hardness issue with comp's kit that causes them to fail, hopefully they rectify the issue so their parts don't continue to fail for people that are unaware of what could happen
I got the same runaround from them a few months ago. I have a new Comp trunnion kit that has been sitting on the shelf for almost two years due to this issue. I decided not to install them on my stock rockers when I read about this here. I originally bought them from Colorado Speed but it was too late to return them so there they sit. I am running HS rollers so I haven't upgraded to the Straub kit on the
stockers yet.

Get notified of new replies

To Rocker arm Trunion upgrade options?

Old 05-09-2017, 09:31 AM
punz
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

When I installed mine 2 years ago, I really juiced them up with assembly lube on everything. Curious to see what they look like when I swap springs next year. I personally think it is lack of lube, people installing right out of the box.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:33 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say it's a combination of materials and design. Too soft or not properly hardened a material, for the high valve spring rates of "big" camshafts.
I would say they are probably too soft for anything other than stock it seems like... I wouldn't consider my cam big and I'm running pac 1518 springs which aren't insane stiff either... either way I will never recommend them to anyone else I come in contact with whether their car is stock or not

Originally Posted by Patches
I got the same runaround from them a few months ago. I have a new Comp trunnion kit that has been sitting on the shelf for almost two years due to this issue. I decided not to install them on my stock rockers when I read about this here. I originally bought them from Colorado Speed but it was too late to return them so there they sit. I am running HS rollers so I haven't upgraded to the Straub kit on the
stockers yet.
some of the "reps" I talked to claimed to have had comp's kit on their own personal car with over 30k miles, big cam, yadda yadda, and never had an issue... I find that very hard to believe that they have never even heard of it happening and I understand stuff happens when you mod cars but I would have more respect for them if they just come out and admit there was a problem and do something to fix it rather than just ignoring people
Old 05-09-2017, 09:37 AM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by neutron82
I would say they are probably too soft for anything other than stock it seems like... I wouldn't consider my cam big and I'm running pac 1518 springs which aren't insane stiff either... either way I will never recommend them to anyone else I come in contact with whether their car is stock or not

some of the "reps" I talked to claimed to have had comp's kit on their own personal car with over 30k miles, big cam, yadda yadda, and never had an issue... I find that very hard to believe that they have never even heard of it happening and I understand stuff happens when you mod cars but I would have more respect for them if they just come out and admit there was a problem and do something to fix it rather than just ignoring people

Quick Reply: Rocker arm Trunion upgrade options?