C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wipers keep re-parking

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 03:01 PM
LymanSS
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Wipers keep re-parking

Hi All,

I just installed a new BCM, due to a no-start condition. The new BCM seems to be the fix for my problems, as I've already regained control of the radio, HVAC and windows (at least I can hear them clicking - though they aren't going down yet).

I'm doing the BCM relearn procedure, but I've suddenly got a problem with the wipers. They keep re-parking. Here are the symptoms:

1. When I turn them on, the wipers run as expected
2. When I use the "mist" function, the wipers run as expected
3. When I turn them off, the wipers attempt to park, stop for a moment, move up about 4 inches and then try to re-park. They continue in this cycle until I shut off the ignition.

I haven't done the re-learn procedure yet, because I'm reluctant to leave the wipers going through this cycle continuously for half an hour. Any suggestions? If it's an easy fix I'd like to do that before the re-learn. If not, I'll just find the fuse and pull it.

Thanks!

Scott
Old 05-03-2017, 04:20 PM
LymanSS
Melting Slicks

For what it's worth, I pulled the fuse, did the BCM re-learn and was able to start the car. Now just trying to solve the wiper problem. Also, the driver's side window goes down, but the passenger's side just clicks. I'm thinking I might need a new window regulator - thoughts?

Scott
Old 05-03-2017, 05:46 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

clean your udders, the circuit board in the motor could be cracked !! (when water doesn't drain it cooks the wiper motor !!)
The following users liked this post:
LymanSS (05-05-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 06:01 PM
LymanSS
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the response Pounder.

The udders are clean - that was the first thing I checked, as I'm combating some moisture issues in the cabin. So I don't think water is building up near the wiper motor - though there's definitely moisture elsewhere.

Everything about the wiper operation seems to be fine other than this one behavior. And when the wipers park, I can see the parking pin dropping into place, as I think it's supposed to. It just doesn't stay parked.

Thanks again,

Scott
Old 05-05-2017, 03:46 PM
LymanSS
Melting Slicks

Anyone else have suggestions on this? The udders are clean and the wiper area appears dry. However I do have moisture issues in other parts of the car. Has anyone seen this specific behavior in the past? Park, un-park, park, unpark. They don't actually wipe unless I turn them on. But they never stay parked.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Scott
Old 05-05-2017, 07:01 PM
twokbolt
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say wiper motor pulse board. If it was the switch, they would run non stop even if they were "off". If it was the motor they wouldn't run at all. Motor rarely goes bad on these cars, pulse board on the other hand, pretty common.

Get notified of new replies

To Wipers keep re-parking

Quick Reply: Wipers keep re-parking