C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heater core replacment problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 02:50 PM
odxr
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Heater core replacment problems

I work at a shop that restores 60's muscle cars and the boss drives a 98 vette.The heater core was leaking so I got the job.The boss got a core from a local radiator wholesaler.The brand on the core was TYC.Got the box out of the dash and changed the core.Put the box back in the dash and the fun began.The tube assembly that runs behind the motor would not bolt back on to the heater box.After removing the heater tubes and checking alignment many times( 4 hours lost) I removed the heater box again.I checked the heater tubes against the box on the work bench and found out the tube spacing on the new heater core was not the same and the after market core would not work.These parts are obsolete from GM.Got another core (Spectra Cool) from O'Reilly and that one fit the box when bench tested for fit.What i would do next time-check the fitment of the heater tubes to the heater box while the box is out of the car.There is a clamp that supports the tubes that you can use to check the alignment before the box is installed back into the car.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:10 PM
jim993
Drifting

Received 523 Likes on 334 Posts

Good to know, might save someone else a lot of time and frustration.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Heater core replacment problems