C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag warning light stays on

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 12:25 AM
scotchrocks
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Airbag warning light stays on

Hi, everyone,

I'm new to this forum, hope you can help me with a problem with my 98 coupe.

Recently, the horn went off in the garage one night about 10PM, I disconnected the battery to get it to stop, then found a thread on another site that explained how to change the membrane under the airbag.

That project went well, except at start-up, the airbag warning light blinks 7 or 8 times and then remains on.

My codes are: 28-TCS--- C1243H, C1255H, C1281H, C1288H.

Any advice is most welcome.

Last edited by scotchrocks; 05-15-2017 at 12:27 AM.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:14 AM
scotchrocks
Cruising

Just went out and ran the codes again....now shows only 1281 and 1288, both H. No other codes. I cancelled those out, will be driving again today, I'll check after for any others.

Thanks for your comments and advice.

Another issue I've had for the entire time I've owned this wonderful machine, (Purchased 9 years ago, mileage then 14.000, now 82,000), is the "Service Vehicle Soon" light comes on every time I start the car.

Chevy dealership told me replacement part no longer available, they warned against any aftermarket products. I know about re-setting after oil changes, but is there any other potential solution?
Old 05-15-2017, 12:27 PM
v6turbo87
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Did you plug the airbag in the steering wheel back in when you changed the Horn Membrane? You should have had the battery disconnected prior to unplugging the air bag too--did you do that?
Old 05-15-2017, 03:53 PM
PHILLY JOE
PHILLY JOE

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Air bag light

I believe their is a plug under each seat aND could come loose or bad connection.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:45 PM
scotchrocks
Cruising

Drove the rocket about 75 miles today, some at 35,some at 75. Several stops, airbag light always on while driving, service vehicle soon light comes on every time I start the car, reset makes it go away until the next time I start it.

Codes still 1281 and 1288 H.

My car does not have active handling, it was a early 98.

Yes, definitely did disconnect the battery, I went back and checked the connection to the air bag a second time, it is very clean and a solid connection.

This is the first I've heard of a connection under the seats, I"ve never been under there, can I access without removing seats?
Old 05-15-2017, 10:25 PM
PHILLY JOE
PHILLY JOE

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Air bag light

The c6 has a connector and I believe the c5. The c6 use to unplug when usEing the power seat along the carpet. You can try to raisE the seat all the way up. And you should feal the plug connectors. Otherswise just four nuts and tilt it towards the console for a better view WITH A TOWEL ON THE CONSOLE

Last edited by PHILLY JOE; 05-15-2017 at 11:37 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:24 PM
scotchrocks
Cruising

I checked the connectors under the seats, they look perfect, solidly in place. Is it possible a dealer with a computer could reset the warning light? Would they even talk to me? I replaced the horn membrane, after market fix, I heard the dealers replace the airbag system for hundreds of dollars.

Horn works fine, I did nothing to the bag, don't know why the light stays on.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:05 PM
v6turbo87
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

The number of times the air bag light flashes prior to it going on solid is a clue to what air bag is giving the fault. You need to count how many times it blinks. I do not know what air bag 7 or 8 blinks refers to but maybe someone else does???
Old 05-19-2017, 09:33 PM
scotchrocks
Cruising

Originally Posted by v6turbo87
The number of times the air bag light flashes prior to it going on solid is a clue to what air bag is giving the fault. You need to count how many times it blinks. I do not know what air bag 7 or 8 blinks refers to but maybe someone else does???
Just counted them, it's seven times before it stays on. Any advice appreciated.

Get notified of new replies

To Airbag warning light stays on

Quick Reply: Airbag warning light stays on