C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 brake lights not working, flashers, signals work

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 10:22 AM
Mark Fav
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 brake lights not working, flashers, signals work

I have a '02, everything stock. I'm having the issue of the middle brake light working and the other 4 do not. The turn signals and hazard lights work correctly. All functions of the MFS work correctly. I replaced the hazard flasher about a year and a half ago (pain) when I was having an issue with the turn signals. That fixed the issue and all has been well since. I'm reading conflicting information on the forum that the problem could lie in the muti-function switch. Some say that if you look at the circuit diagram, if the hazard flashers are working correctly that it cannot be a problem with the MFS. I can run a multi-meter, but cannot judge the truth in that statement. I'm kinda stuck and am not sure how to progress in identifying the issue. Would removing the hazard flasher (pain) and jumping the white wire (pin 17) to the brown wire (pin 27) in the wiring harness connector to the hazard switch be the first thing I should try? Also, is there a brake light ground somewhere in the rear that could be the culprit? Seems unlikely as the hazards work. Thanks in advance for any help you can lend me.
Best,
Mark
Old 05-20-2017, 10:48 AM
Mark Fav
Heel & Toe

I found the diagrams, just not sure how to proceed.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:14 AM
Mark Fav
Heel & Toe

OK. Of course I pulled fuse 8 to make sure it was ok and it was good. Was hoping to not have to pull the hazard switch, but that looks like the next logical thing to do, thx.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:22 AM
Mark Fav
Heel & Toe

OK, taking it apart today, I'll post my results. Thanks!
Old 05-21-2017, 03:16 PM
Mark Fav
Heel & Toe

It was the hazard switch. Brand new GM switch lasted one year, very disappointing. Thanks for the help!

Get notified of new replies

To 4 brake lights not working, flashers, signals work

Quick Reply: 4 brake lights not working, flashers, signals work