C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS/TCS/Active Handling lights c1226

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 02:58 PM
jrp1588
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 89 Posts
Default ABS/TCS/Active Handling lights c1226

Just got back from a week long vacation, and took my 2001 out for a drive for the first time since I've been back. After about a half mile, the DIC starts throwing service warnings for the ABS,TCS, and Active Handling systems. I checked the codes, and I'm getting c1226. If I'm reading correctly, this involves the front right speed sensor?

I jacked the car up to take a look, unplugged the sensor harness, added a bit of dielectric grease for fun, and plugged it back in hoping maybe it was just a little loose. The only thing that I really noticed being amiss was that the metal clip where the harness attaches to the steering knuckle wasn't fully pushed down possibly allowing things to vibrate around. I fixed that, took it for a drive, and it still flashed warning at me after a couple minutes.

Any thoughts on where I should go from here?
Old 05-21-2017, 04:24 PM
jrp1588
Burning Brakes

You know, I think you might have it. I think the connector did look more like the one on the right. Glad it's probably something simple. My first thought was EBCM.
Old 05-21-2017, 04:28 PM
johnson-rod
Melting Slicks

Received 366 Likes on 259 Posts

You can try this. It sounds silly but it has worked for me for years (sometimes).

Swap the ABS leads from one side of the car to the other. You are effectively faking a "new" connector on each connection. One that has never been there before and contacts in entirely different spots. It works for while sometimes years.

The leads have another connection about 18" down the line from the wheel's speed sensor connection. Take them apart there. Clean them with some contact cleaner. Only use the dialectric grease on the outside of the contacts and the seals.

If this doesn't work you really have to take the contacts apart which is not hard. It is the only real way to clean and re-spring the contacts correctly. The little blue tips come off and the insides of the contacts come out. Wipe them with some sandpaper and bend them so they will make better contact. You really only have to replace them when they break. (Ask me how I know).
Old 05-21-2017, 04:32 PM
jrp1588
Burning Brakes

Interesting. Well once I cool off a little bit from mowing, I'll jack it back up and see what I can see. Knew I should have just left it up in the air. haha
Old 05-21-2017, 06:16 PM
jrp1588
Burning Brakes

Well I do believe it's fixed. Bent the contacts back as instructed and took a 20 minute test drive without issue. Unfortunately I will need to replace that same hub soon though, as I discovered it has some play. Should be an easy job compared to my Subaru with pressed in bearings.
Now I just need to fix the AC, rear defrost, front knock sensor, oil level sensor, fuel sending unit, entire windshield washing fluid system, and either get tpms sensors or get the system programmed out. Oh well, one thing at a time.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:44 PM
jrp1588
Burning Brakes

No problem, I hate threads that leave you hanging in the end.

Get notified of new replies

To ABS/TCS/Active Handling lights c1226

Quick Reply: ABS/TCS/Active Handling lights c1226