C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diff Fluid - Too Much Friction Modifier?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 08:22 AM
ClevelandTim
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Diff Fluid - Too Much Friction Modifier?

Guys,

First time changing diff fluid on my 2000. I drained the old oil, added the little bottle of GM friction modifier and then added my new Valvoline 'high performance' diff oil. Then I noticed it was marked 'limited slip' on the bottle, so I'm assuming it also has the friction modifier in it as well. Question is, will too much of the stuff hurt the differential or will I be ok? In other words can my diff overdose on the stuff? If so I'll just drain it and do over.
Attached Images  
Old 05-22-2017, 08:29 AM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 979 Likes on 622 Posts

Too much will make it act like a open diff, the clutches will slip. Too little and it will chatter when turning
The following users liked this post:
ClevelandTim (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 08:32 AM
ClevelandTim
Advanced

Originally Posted by feeder82
Too much will make it act like a open diff, the clutches will slip. Too little and it will chatter when turning
Good to know! So if it was your car would you just dump out the oil and add the stuff I had pictured without the GM friction bottle?
Old 05-22-2017, 08:34 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,341 Likes on 1,093 Posts

I believe, if there's too much of the "friction modifier" in the oil, then the differential's clutches will slip too much, and not hook up both rear tires under heavy acceleration.

On the other hand, a number of years ago, we had a Chevy Caprice LTZ in our family fleet. It was basically a "cop car" with a nicer interior, and as such, was equipped with a positraction rear axle. Shortly before we went on a vacation, I gave the car a maintenance "once over", including replacing the diff oil. I used, I seem to recall, Valvoline gear oil that was labeled for use in limited slip differentials. It did NOT have enough friction modifier, and the rear end was NOT happy. Problem for me, was this "situation" didn't appear for several days, and by that time, we were several hundred miles from home............

EDIT....

OP, in the picture you posted, I don't see that the Valvoline oil pictured, is synthetic gear oil. I do believe that the GM spec for C-5 rear axles is synthetic gear oil. FWIW, I've had RedLine's synthetic gear oil in my 2001 C-5 since 2002.

Last edited by leadfoot4; 05-22-2017 at 09:01 AM.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:02 AM
C5SCCA
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

How much peace of mind is $15 dollars worth? It may be fine, but you will always wonder. My advice...Drain it and do it right!
Old 05-22-2017, 09:40 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 624 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
....On the other hand, a number of years ago, we had a Chevy Caprice LTZ in our family fleet. It was basically a "cop car" with a nicer interior, and as such, was equipped with a positraction rear axle. Shortly before we went on a vacation, I gave the car a maintenance "once over", including replacing the diff oil. I used, I seem to recall, Valvoline gear oil that was labeled for use in limited slip differentials. It did NOT have enough friction modifier, and the rear end was NOT happy. Problem for me, was this "situation" didn't appear for several days, and by that time, we were several hundred miles from home..............
Exactly the same with my Impala SS. I put Valvoline in that said limited slip and it chattered bad. I added one bottle of the GM additive and that made it work great again.

Good luck.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:34 PM
ClevelandTim
Advanced

I believe, if there's too much of the "friction modifier" in the oil, then the differential's clutches will slip too much, and not hook up both rear tires under heavy acceleration.

On the other hand, a number of years ago, we had a Chevy Caprice LTZ in our family fleet. It was basically a "cop car" with a nicer interior, and as such, was equipped with a positraction rear axle. Shortly before we went on a vacation, I gave the car a maintenance "once over", including replacing the diff oil. I used, I seem to recall, Valvoline gear oil that was labeled for use in limited slip differentials. It did NOT have enough friction modifier, and the rear end was NOT happy. Problem for me, was this "situation" didn't appear for several days, and by that time, we were several hundred miles from home............

EDIT....

OP, in the picture you posted, I don't see that the Valvoline oil pictured, is synthetic gear oil. I do believe that the GM spec for C-5 rear axles is synthetic gear oil. FWIW, I've had RedLine's synthetic gear oil in my 2001 C-5 since 2002.
Just out of curiosity, I know that synthetics won't break down as quickly as a conventional oil, but on a light use vehicle (like 3,000 miles a year) is their much of a difference?
Old 05-22-2017, 02:31 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

If it were me,,,,,,,,,,,, I would DRAIN and refill with just the GL-5 lube. Take her out in an empty lot and doo a LOT of figure 8 turns. IF,,,,, you ever feel it CHATTER when you do a very tight left or right turn, ADD a LITTLE more limited slip additive.

You can always add a little more limited slip additive. Its expensive to take it out!

YES, it can cause the clutches to NOT function and glaze over.

Bill
Old 05-23-2017, 02:07 PM
ArtGle
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

When I did my transmission back in December, the dealership parts guys spoke with their 'Corvette Tech' for me about this subject.
He told them, and they sold me a second small bottle of the additive to put in.
He said it was 'better for the posi trac..
This time around, I'm going with just one bottle.
All factory fluids in the differential every time.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:13 PM
The Wrench
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I didn't check to confirm, but I seem to remember that the required amount for my 2000 diff was 1/2 of the bottle of GM additive??????
I could be wrong......

That being said, when I had my diff rebuilt last year I put in the Valvolene LS with no additional additive and she's perfect; no chatter and dead-straight pulls when the tires spin.

But, yeah, get it right; oil and changing it are cheap and easy, diffs are a bear to pull out, and a ton of $$$ to repair.

DG
Old 06-14-2017, 05:48 PM
ArtGle
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

Gentlemen, here is a photo of my factory Service Manual about rear axle fluids
Attached Images  
Old 06-14-2017, 07:50 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Art

GM uses a lube without the modifier. That is why they add the bottle of modifier.

The GL-5 has its own modifier already in it

Bill
Old 06-14-2017, 09:43 PM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

Amazon sells the correct fluid with the correct amount of friction modifier:

ACDelco 10-4034 Dexron LS 75W-90 Gear Oil - 32 oz

somewhere under $18/qt.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:14 PM
reactor2
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I added the little GM bottle to my rear end along with Royal Purple differential fluid that already had it. I did that several years ago, I don't notice a difference at all. Both tires spin when it loses traction.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:21 PM
v8srfun
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 123 Posts

To much friction modifier will cause the diff to act tighter so you may get wheel hop on tight corners. The friction modifier increases friction on the clutches not decreases like the others were saying.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:35 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by v8srfun
To much friction modifier will cause the diff to act tighter so you may get wheel hop on tight corners. The friction modifier increases friction on the clutches not decreases like the others were saying.
Nope...........
Old 06-17-2017, 07:40 AM
v8srfun
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 123 Posts

Nope...........
You may want to do some research

Get notified of new replies

To Diff Fluid - Too Much Friction Modifier?

Old 06-17-2017, 08:00 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

You may want to do some research
I did, FIRST HAND. Re-read post #4.............
Old 06-17-2017, 11:45 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Without friction modifier added to gear oil for use in a limited slip clutch disk differential, the clutches will grab/pop/bind. The situation will be noticed when you do tight turn.

The modifier allows the clutches to slip in a smooth fashion in a controlled amount. TOO much is bad and not enough is also bad.

To properly make the clutches work when you add new oil, you should do some very tight figure eight turn in a safe place to burnish in the new oil/LS fluid and make sure the clutches are happy. You can always add a bit more LS fluid.

I never add the whole bottle to my differential if I use lube that doesn’t have the LS Additive already in it. I put 3/4 of the load in and then see how the clutches work.

Man,, that modifire stuff STINKS!
Old 06-17-2017, 12:42 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
...Man, that modified stuff STINKS!

OH YEAH!

Smells like "high octane" cat p**s........

Quick Reply: Diff Fluid - Too Much Friction Modifier?