C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harmonic balancer, water pump, alternator???

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 05:15 PM
gpd132
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Harmonic balancer, water pump, alternator???

I have a "new to me" 2002 with an auto trans and 82000 miles. I just had rear brakes and a tire sensor replaced at my local shop. The mechanic found that I have a "leaky butt" and a rear main seal leak, but other than that things seemed fine. He said i'm probably looking at $500 to $1000 to fix each and that I can probably live with it and see if it gets worse. This car is a weekend car, not a DD.

On the way home after about 20 minutes of driving I noticed a chirping sound. Pretty constant but very noticeable when giving it gas. I got it home and left it running a few minutes. I noticed the temp gauge was nearing 260 and the electric fan was kicking on alot. I popped the hood and noticed the serpentine belt was kinda slow and doing a start-almost stop kinda motion.

That evening I got home and started the car. No chirping, no belt problems, however I just let it run a minute or so.

I was thinking I could have a water pump or alternator dragging on the belt then discovered the harmonic balancer issue on the C5.

Could that be the likely problem here? And if it is, I don't want to go back to the OEM. I see alot of recommendations for the Powerbond with a new ARP bolt. I'm not mechanically inclined so if you have part numbers for those that would be great.

Is there anything else that should be done while things are apart if that is my issue.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 05-23-2017, 06:06 PM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 971 Likes on 783 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

For the stock one It is PB1117N
The bolt is ARP 234-2503
Old 05-26-2017, 10:12 PM
zachaeous
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 376 Posts

You should also replace the seal in the front timing cover that seals around the balancer. It is GM #12585673.

I did this job last year and this is a method I used to hold the crankshaft from turning. This worked great for me and saved dropping the exhaust to remove the starter to place a tool there to hold the crank while removing and re-tightening the ARP bolt.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ving-bolt.html

Last edited by zachaeous; 05-26-2017 at 10:18 PM. Reason: link
Old 05-28-2017, 10:36 AM
kp1
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If you have a bad harmonic balancer you should be able to see it wobble. The chirping could be caused by an old belt, grease/oil on the belt, or tensioner or idler pulley. I'd check those first.

Get notified of new replies

To Harmonic balancer, water pump, alternator???

Quick Reply: Harmonic balancer, water pump, alternator???