C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering rack adjustment bolt

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 08:16 PM
Jax03z06
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering rack adjustment bolt

I've been having some play in my steering wheel. I've read that there's a bolt to adjust the steering rack. Can anyone post a picture of this bolt because I can't find it...
Old 05-24-2017, 01:56 PM
tbrowne
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 83 Posts

I am not familiar with any adjustments to the rack. Play in the wheel is most likely caused by worn components, such as tie rod ends, ball joints, bushings.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:22 PM
AllVette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is supposed to be done with the steering rack out of the car but can be done in the car. You may need to move the EBTCM out of the way.

The following users liked this post:
Sam Handwich (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 12:04 AM
Jax03z06
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AllVette
It is supposed to be done with the steering rack out of the car but can be done in the car. You may need to move the EBTCM out of the way.

I should've been more specific. When i drive straight my steering wheel is turned to the left and then I can jerk it and make it straight but it will go back after driving longer.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:16 AM
Andrew
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Jax03z06
I should've been more specific. When i drive straight my steering wheel is turned to the left and then I can jerk it and make it straight but it will go back after driving longer.
That is strange and concerning. Never heard of something like this other than maybe a loose steering wheel / column. I do know that there is a bolt on the steering shaft that connects to the rack. It is right next to the manifolds, under the AIR fittings. Sometimes that bolt can become loose and you need to really make sure it is very tight. Worth a look and it easy to get to. Other than that, no idea...
Old 05-25-2017, 07:51 AM
Ludeaem
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrew
That is strange and concerning. Never heard of something like this other than maybe a loose steering wheel / column. I do know that there is a bolt on the steering shaft that connects to the rack. It is right next to the manifolds, under the AIR fittings. Sometimes that bolt can become loose and you need to really make sure it is very tight. Worth a look and it easy to get to. Other than that, no idea...
Best way to access is to remove alternator which is super easy (2 bolts and removal of belt). I don't have the torque spec off hand but it not much so investigate and make sure you don't break that bolt! Want to say its 30 ft lbs but don't quote me on that.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:43 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Try this:

Have an assistant sit in the drivers seat, engine OFF, key turned to unlock column lock.
Tell them to move the steering wheel back and forth slightly LEFT & slightly RIGHT. While they are doing that, you observe ALL the components of the steering system. The ONLY thing that should be moving/flexing should be the tires/rims. Check the steering rack mount and mount bushing, rack tie rod ends, and the wheel bearing hubs.

Anything that flexes when it shouldnt would cause the steering to be compromised. The coupler that connects the steering shaft to the steering box is the one that they are asking you to check. If the bolt that secures the coupler is loose, there will be lost motion at that joint.

Hope this helps.

BC
Old 05-26-2017, 12:45 PM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

Well, if the steering wheel isn't centered when you are driving straight, that can be fixed by adjusting the tie rods. Toe needs to be checked while adjusting to center the steering wheel. Also A arm bushings gone bad on one side will cause the suspension to sag on that side and give you an off-center steering wheel. One loose lower control arm eccentric will do the same.

Never heard of a jerking motion straightening it out, maybe the magnasteer system is activating or perhaps the TCS, depending on how forceful you are. Nonetheless this seems like a not-so good idea if you are around other cars.

If you have play in the steering likely a rebuilt rack is in your future, or at least the tie rod ends.

What is your tire wear like? the wear will tell a lot about the alignment, condition of the steering and suspension system, and your driving habits. If you aren't getting corner wear on the inside of the two front tires, I would be greatly surprised. C5's and C6's are really easy to align so either doing yourself or having it looked at is step one. You can wear off $200 worth of tires just driving to the alignment shop if it is off, so that is the first place to head. If the tech is worth anything, he will tell you what your problem is.

Also, most all roads have a crown and slope slightly, so you are always putting a little steering input in to keep the car between the line and the ditch. Otherwise, the road doesn't drain rainwater and the consequence of this should be obvious.
Old 05-26-2017, 02:01 PM
Carl Timonen
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I would check the steering intermediate shaft and the rack bushings and mounts.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:17 PM
Jax03z06
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Carl Timonen
I would check the steering intermediate shaft and the rack bushings and mounts.
well turns out the steering shaft mounting bolts were just loose. 😐
Got them tightened and an alignment and problem solved lol
thanks for the help though guys I really appreciate it still.

Get notified of new replies

To Steering rack adjustment bolt

Quick Reply: Steering rack adjustment bolt