C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door chime problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 10:17 PM
danm1
Racer

Received 249 Likes on 90 Posts

Default Door chime problem

I have an 02 Z06 and the door chime sounds when the door is open even with no keys in the ignition and all the electrical components powered down. Where do I begin to troubleshoot this? Never had it happen before in any car I owned.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:03 AM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,216 Likes on 776 Posts

I would try spraying some electrical cleaner in the ignition switch. Maybe some foreign material is keeping the connection open even with the key off. I had a issue 2 years ago with the car not starting when I turned the key to start. Spraying some cleaner in the switch fixed it.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:32 AM
danm1
Racer

Originally Posted by rrwirsi
I would try spraying some electrical cleaner in the ignition switch. Maybe some foreign material is keeping the connection open even with the key off. I had a issue 2 years ago with the car not starting when I turned the key to start. Spraying some cleaner in the switch fixed it.
Thank you! I'll give it a try.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:37 PM
GabeNation
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

have you had issues with your headlight gears? mine grind and i need to replace them with the brass gears, but since i have HID's and have to flip the high beams to get them to lower, i turn the high beams off as soon as they're settled to prevent the obnoxious noise. since i do this so quickly the car doesn't thing the headlights are down, and i live a constant door chime as a biproduct.
-Gabe
Old 06-08-2017, 10:04 PM
danm1
Racer

Originally Posted by GabeNation
have you had issues with your headlight gears? mine grind and i need to replace them with the brass gears, but since i have HID's and have to flip the high beams to get them to lower, i turn the high beams off as soon as they're settled to prevent the obnoxious noise. since i do this so quickly the car doesn't thing the headlights are down, and i live a constant door chime as a biproduct.
-Gabe
Thank you! I tried that, it works! You just solved my problem. I'm the fifth owner of my Vette so I don't know its history, or some of the newer parts that it has. I was always wondering why I had to have my high beams on for the headlights to go down! Low and behold! Thanks, now I know what's going on.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:38 PM
GabeNation
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

hell yeah! glad to help, i just bought mine a month or so ago and am learning everything i can, so pass it along! funny, I'm the 5th or 6th owner of mine too. i have the replacement gears for the motors and just have to swap em out, and think I'm gonna get a higher end hid kit at some point so i don't have to flip the highs to get em down. apparently higher wattage ones or some higher end ones have enough resistance to make the computer know they're on.
-Gabe

Get notified of new replies

To Door chime problem

Quick Reply: Door chime problem