C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock C5 Pinging Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 11:08 PM
wrmiles
Racer

Received 126 Likes on 95 Posts

Default Stock C5 Pinging Question

2002 Coupe, MN6, 161,000 miles, Completely Stock

Has what sure sounds like intermittent light pinging when under load such as going up a hill.

Several peculiar things:

Only happens right around 1500 RPM

Giving it more throttle does not initiate pinging or make it worse.

Seems to happen more/worse at lower altitudes (I live at 5400').

Any ideas or anyone know what is so special about 1500 RPM. I have considered that it may be something else, but it sure sounds like pinging.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:07 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Clean the MAF
Old 06-07-2017, 08:25 PM
ZZ06
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

While I agree with FASTFATBOY, there are some other things that need be mentioned. Have you done a tune up recently on the car? ie. filter, changes, plugs, and wires....Id like to believe some type of maintenance was done seeing the amount of miles ad still running, but has it been done recently?
Old 06-07-2017, 08:54 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

don't lug the engine uphill at 1500rpm for starters... I'm willing to bet the car is not driven hard and rarely (if ever) sees the upper rpm band, you could have excessive carbon buildup on the pistons... if that is the case a good top end cleaning and some spirited driving can clear that up... also use the highest octane gas available in your area if you aren't already doing that
Old 06-07-2017, 09:02 PM
evolmotorsprt
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

My brother's C5 had that problem and we determined it was carbon buildup. We live at 4800ft, and the cars seem to run pretty rich up here. I've found BG44k works awesome to clean out the carbon. We ran a can through his car and drove the **** out of it. The whole back bumper was black with soot. It solved his pinging problem.

Run a can or two through yours and see if it cures your problem.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:50 PM
JESSTERLSX
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by evolmotorsprt
My brother's C5 had that problem and we determined it was carbon buildup. We live at 4800ft, and the cars seem to run pretty rich up here. I've found BG44k works awesome to clean out the carbon. We ran a can through his car and drove the **** out of it. The whole back bumper was black with soot. It solved his pinging problem.

Run a can or two through yours and see if it cures your problem.
My 02 C5Z is having this same issue. I have longtube headers and just assumed that it was noise from the thinner walls of the headers. For starters what is BG44k? I would like to use some to help clean mine out as well. I just bought the car recently and even though it doesn't have high miles I believe it may be carbon build up from not being aired out. I've given it a couple pulls but nothing serious yet. Did you just pour it into the gas tank? Would it be comparable to sea foam? Thanks for the info!
Old 06-09-2017, 07:54 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by JESSTERLSX
... For starters what is BG44K?
It's a chemical fuel additive, similar to SeaFoam. You add it to the fuel tank, then give the car an "Italian Tune-Up"..............(get out on the highway and "lean on it" real good, a few times)
The following users liked this post:
JESSTERLSX (06-09-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 08:18 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

personally I prefer to do a top end cleaning where you introduce the cleaner through the intake... in my experience that works much better than any additive you can put in your tank and it also works faster, the results are nearly instant
Old 06-09-2017, 08:12 PM
JESSTERLSX
Advanced

Originally Posted by neutron82
personally I prefer to do a top end cleaning where you introduce the cleaner through the intake... in my experience that works much better than any additive you can put in your tank and it also works faster, the results are nearly instant
I was just about to mention this. In my fbodies I used one of the vacuum lines, i think it was the PCV line. I don't remember. Was years ago. But I put it in through that with a friend in the car to keep it from dying.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:33 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

I was just about to mention this. In my fbodies I used one of the vacuum lines, i think it was the PCV line. I don't remember. Was years ago. But I put it in through that with a friend in the car to keep it from dying.
Yeah, that's the difficult part of doing that with a C-5, because there's no mechanical throttle linkage to modulate the engine speed with.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:27 AM
ZZ06
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Yeah, that's the difficult part of doing that with a C-5, because there's no mechanical throttle linkage to modulate the engine speed with.
With a friend in the car, like he mentioned, its all the same. Ive always gone through the brake boost line(which I'm sure that is what he is referring to) with a buddy or my wife to keep it running. I actually just did this for the first time with my stroker and good gosh all mighty did a smoke out my street!!!!
The following users liked this post:
JESSTERLSX (06-10-2017)
Old 06-10-2017, 10:55 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

have a 5.3 in a truck started doing that with similar mileage...had been driving it too easy too long as its getting old so lots of carbon

Italian tuneup did the trick, the cleaners didnt do anything. MAF clean a good suggestion!
Old 06-10-2017, 11:47 AM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

you get ridd of carbon buitld up you spray watter into the engine at wot.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:37 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by romandian
you get ridd of carbon buitld up you spray watter into the engine at wot.
You going to hold your engine at WOT, while you, or someone else, sprays water into it??

............and yes, I'm familiar with the "water spray technique". but not at WOT!
Old 06-10-2017, 03:24 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

what I like to do is use a really long vacuum hose and route it near the drivers area and put that in the can of seafoam or whatever cleaner you might be using, that way I can control how much cleaner is ingested and modulate the throttle at the same time by myself... if you use the brake booster hose only the back cylinders are going to get the cleaner, I like to use the vacuum port on the side of the intake as well... maybe run half a can through the side of the intake so the front cylinders get some cleaner and then use the other half through the brake booster hose to get the rear cylinders

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
You going to hold your engine at WOT, while you, or someone else, sprays water into it??

............and yes, I'm familiar with the "water spray technique". but not at WOT!
that's what water/meth kits are for... but your average owner doesn't have one of those already installed... e85 also works great as a cleaner from what I've seen, but again not a ton of people running that either
Old 06-10-2017, 09:16 PM
JESSTERLSX
Advanced

Hey gang. Car was almost empty today. I put an entire 16oz can of sea foam in the tank and filled it up with 93. Not a lot of smoke or anything. But I aired it out real good with a couple of third gear pulls. Car runs smother and seems to be much more quiet on the engine noise. I put it all in the tank because my gas level sensor is messing up as well so I wanted to see if this would help clear that up. So far so good. It's at about 3/4 of a tank now and it's still working so it looks like I killed two birds with one stone. On the next oil change I might run a can through the intake system via the via the vacuum hoses.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:18 AM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

take your windshield washer hose, put a jet on it and put it in a place the engine will ingest. i prefer distilled water.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:53 AM
Roddy13
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by romandian
take your windshield washer hose, put a jet on it and put it in a place the engine will ingest. i prefer distilled water.
what in the fk??? Windshield washer fluid hey? facepalm.

Sounds like a how to for Cavitation.

Last edited by Roddy13; 06-11-2017 at 04:55 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Stock C5 Pinging Question

Quick Reply: Stock C5 Pinging Question