C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't let anyone convince you that you don't need to match balance your flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 10:48 PM
evolmotorsprt
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Don't let anyone convince you that you don't need to match balance your flywheel

I just had my flywheel, clutch, torque tube, hydraulics, etc. replaced. Shop didn't match balance my clutch assembly after I instructed them to. Now the motor is thrashy from 4K+. I'm trying to be reasonable but I'm pissed. I had 3 pins/weights in my old flywheel. At least I still have the old clutch assembly for reference. This is my new reality I have to deal with. Do not, and I repeat do not let anyone convince you to not match balance your clutch assembly.

Btw, I put in an LS7 clutch with a RAM flywheel.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:03 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Did you use a credit card to pay them? I would dispute the charge with the credit card company.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:03 AM
bravo29
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

I am seeing to much on this topic of you don't and you do. It seems if your shop did it they should have known it was needed. Sucks they didn't do it.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:23 PM
evolmotorsprt
Instructor

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Did you use a credit card to pay them? I would dispute the charge with the credit card company.
That may be my end game. Right now I'm going to give them an opportunity to make it right. I've been trying to find a local company that can dynamic balance the engine in the car, but apparently no one knows what I'm talking about. I love this car, but GM really shafted us with regards to the maintenance info on the clutch assembly. Everyone has an opinion because GM never explicitly stated how to deal with the balance weights in the flywheel.

The shop did everything else correct, they just didn't match balance the clutch assembly after I specifically asked them to, and it is a buzz saw at high RPMs.

Hopefully I can get this figured out.
Old 06-17-2017, 12:06 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Did they check the assembly for neutral balance before installing it?

I see many posts about this but don't see people checking the assembly for neutral balance first and still getting a vibration. It seems that it's assumed what is sent is properly balanced.

I recall one responder who had a vibration and they found the assembly was not balanced when it was removed and checked.

You could try balancing it yourself. Put different weight washers onto the pressure plate bolts until you start to find the vibration improving and then tweak from there.

Last edited by lionelhutz; 06-17-2017 at 12:08 AM.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:48 AM
outsideline
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Clutch

If the ram flywheel has the same pin holes as the stock you can put those in by removing inspection plate & adding in the same location.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:01 AM
sirdano
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts

If you did not get it in writing it was never going to happen.

Took a suburban in to get a transmission replaced and part of deal i ask for a transmission cooler to be installed. After all work was done he wife picked up truck. I checked it out and no cooler. Took it back up and he actually said" I dont see that stated in the bill of sale anywhere you are out of luck"
Old 06-17-2017, 12:14 PM
evolmotorsprt
Instructor

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Did they check the assembly for neutral balance before installing it?

I see many posts about this but don't see people checking the assembly for neutral balance first and still getting a vibration. It seems that it's assumed what is sent is properly balanced.

I recall one responder who had a vibration and they found the assembly was not balanced when it was removed and checked.

You could try balancing it yourself. Put different weight washers onto the pressure plate bolts until you start to find the vibration improving and then tweak from there.
I took the clutch assembly to a machine shop myself and had it zero balanced in case there weren't any pins in the original flywheel.

I'm going to try the washer method today to see if I can make any improvement.
Old 06-17-2017, 12:15 PM
evolmotorsprt
Instructor

Well I balanced it with washers.

It took 3 washers (8 grams) on one bolt and 1 washer (2.5 grams) on the adjacent. It feels pretty good. In the end I'd like to get it professionally balanced, but for now it's solid.

Thanks everyone one on this website for the washer tip! It does work if you're patient.

The white marks are where the pins were in the LS6 flywheel.
Here are the washers on the bolts.
Ghetto race ramps.
Victory Beer!

Now I just have to wait for it to cool so I can put it back together.

Last edited by evolmotorsprt; 06-19-2017 at 04:19 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:40 PM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Glad you figured it out! How do you feel about this same subject, but for the harmonic balancer?
Old 06-19-2017, 04:29 PM
evolmotorsprt
Instructor

Originally Posted by Georgies
Glad you figured it out! How do you feel about this same subject, but for the harmonic balancer?
I have not messed with my harmonic balancer yet, but from my research and experience with the flywheel:

- If you're using an OE type replacement you should mark the harmonic balancer before removal, transfer any pins to the new balancer in the same positions, and reinstall the pulley in the exact same orientation as the original.

- If you are going to use an ATI, Fluidampr, etc... just install without the pins. Apparently these better dampers will take care of the imbalance. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong)

Again, I have no experience with the harmonic balancer yet, but I will be buying a Fluidampr when I put a cam in the car.

Get notified of new replies

To Don't let anyone convince you that you don't need to match balance your flywheel

Quick Reply: Don't let anyone convince you that you don't need to match balance your flywheel