C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replace crank shaft pulley, 1998 corvette

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 03:14 PM
awallison78
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replace crank shaft pulley, 1998 corvette

what is the procedure on replacing the crank shaft pulley on my 98 corvette
Old 06-19-2017, 04:03 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

I will ask the Moderators to move this to C5.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:31 PM
Tact
Law Dawg Moderator

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
CF St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by RicK T
I will ask the Moderators to move this to C5.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:57 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by awallison78
what is the procedure on replacing the crank shaft pulley on my 98 corvette
It's rather involved, so hopefully, if you're going to attempt to do it yourself, you have a fair amount of automotive experience, and a fair amount of tools.

The one basic hurdle, is that the C-5's engine sits both low, and well back in the chassis. The steering rack is directly in front of the balancer, so job #1 is to remove the rack. This means car up on stands or other suitable, SAFE means of support, while you remove the front wheels. Also, the steering wheel has to be locked in place, when you disconnect the steering shaft from the rack.

The bolt holding the balancer in place, is tightened to a high amount of torque. Therefore, A) it's somewhat hard to remove. Some means of keeping the engine from rotating, while removing this bolt is necessary. B) It will also be necessary when installing the new bolt, to be able to keep the engine from rotating, as you tighten the new bolt.

Choice of replacements is varied, but important. Do NOT use an OE balancer, It, too, will fail over time. The Dayco/Powerbond balancer is a decent, low cost replacement. If the budget is a little heathier, ATI makes a really nice piece.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:04 PM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
It's rather involved, so hopefully, if you're going to attempt to do it yourself, you have a fair amount of automotive experience, and a fair amount of tools.

The one basic hurdle, is that the C-5's engine sits both low, and well back in the chassis. The steering rack is directly in front of the balancer, so job #1 is to remove the rack. This means car up on stands or other suitable, SAFE means of support, while you remove the front wheels. Also, the steering wheel has to be locked in place, when you disconnect the steering shaft from the rack.

The bolt holding the balancer in place, is tightened to a high amount of torque. Therefore, A) it's somewhat hard to remove. Some means of keeping the engine from rotating, while removing this bolt is necessary. B) It will also be necessary when installing the new bolt, to be able to keep the engine from rotating, as you tighten the new bolt.

Choice of replacements is varied, but important. Do NOT use an OE balancer, It, too, will fail over time. The Dayco/Powerbond balancer is a decent, low cost replacement. If the budget is a little heathier, ATI makes a really nice piece.
We just did a '98 last year. If doing it yourself and time spent is NOT a problem:
  • Remove the hood
  • You must remove/move the steering rack.
  • Easier yet remove the radiator, power steering, water pump and Alternator.
  • If you have a manual put it in 5th, Auto you will need a tool to keep the engine from moving to loosen/remove the HB bolt.
  • Use a gear puller to remove the HB
  • Heat the new HD in the center and install (We used the HB from Summit Racing)
  • Torque (we used an "ARP" bolt) the HB to spec (I think 240 ft-lbs)
  • Reinstall everything

Ok, so there are easier and shorter methods. This is one we used and so far after a year absolutely no problems. This is the general procedure we used, but research on the forms the details if you have a question.

Tools ( we had a "fairly decent set" )
  • bought a large gear puller
  • bought a 300 ft-lb max torque wrench

We save about $800 in labor and increased our tools and choice of parts.

Last edited by Dutch08; 06-22-2017 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:25 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Do NOT skimp on a replacement just to save a buck. I also highly recommend the Powerbond (Dayco bought them and it sells under the Dayco brand name now). They give you about 4 choices, 2 of which are the stock diameter, meaning no belt length change required after installation. I prefer their "race" series as it has extra snap ring retainers to physically block the outer ring from moving forward/backwards in case any failure of the bonding rubber in the future.
NOTE: Do NOT be tempted to use the old bolt to install the new dampener! Follow the procedure outlined in the stickies and do it right
I also highly recommend using the ARP bolt that just gets directly torqued to spec and can be re-used in the future if necessary. No torque angle gauge required, etc.

Happy motoring ~
Old 06-23-2017, 08:08 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Dutch08
We just did a '98 last year. If doing it yourself and time spent is NOT a problem:
  • Remove the hood
  • You must remove/move the steering rack.
  • Easier yet remove the radiator, power steering, water pump and Alternator.
  • If you have a manual put it in 5th, Auto you will need a tool to keep the engine from moving to loosen/remove the HB bolt.
  • Use a gear puller to remove the HB
  • Heat the new HD in the center and install (We used the HB from Summit Racing)
  • Torque (we used an "ARP" bolt) the HB to spec (I think 240 ft-lbs)
  • Reinstall everything

Ok, so there are easier and shorter methods. This is one we used and so far after a year absolutely no problems. This is the general procedure we used, but research on the forms the details if you have a question.

Tools ( we had a "fairly decent set" )
  • bought a large gear puller
  • bought a 300 ft-lb max torque wrench

We save about $800 in labor and increased our tools and choice of parts.

I did this job 2-3 years ago, at my "advance age", I don't remember exactly when....

Anyway, I did not remove the hood, nor the fans/radiator. Since I was going to "pin" the balancer hub, and replace the timing chain with an LS2 chain, "while I was in there", I had to also remove the water pump and front cover, to get access to the internals, then the oil pump, to get the timing chain off. My car is a 6 speed, but I opted to drop the starter, and use a flywheel locking tool.

I installed an ATI balancer and an ARP bolt. The torque value, with the ARP bolt, is 240 ft/lbs, with both the threads as well as the interface between the bolt head and washer, lubricated with ARP's assembly lubricant, per ARP's instructions.

Get notified of new replies

To replace crank shaft pulley, 1998 corvette

Quick Reply: replace crank shaft pulley, 1998 corvette