C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Various C5 issues - First owned corvette

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 08:43 AM
calcazar
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Various C5 issues - First owned corvette

Hey Guys!

Just wanted to introduce myself... I just purchased a 2001 C5 with 89k miles for $9,000. I thought and still think this was a pretty good deal but I'll let you guys decide after reading the below

That being said, the C5 that I have isn't perfect.. It's riddled with small issues left and right that I don't really know how to fix (yet) and was hoping some of you vets can point me to the right direction.

First things first.. I was driving home and was caught in the rain. Water was coming down from the T-Top weather strips AND under the dashboard. I understand that the weather strips become dated and don't seal well but I have no clue how I'm getting tons of water coming in from the passenger side dash board. It's not the AC condenser as it only happens when it rains. so there is a leak somewhere...

After the vette was caught in the rain, the driver side Front turn signal and day light no longer works (Daylight off, turn signal blinks fast and doesn't come on in the front). Any tips on where to look? I had issues with the hazard switch where the turn signal wouldn't engage at all but this is different.. no amount of punching fixes it.

I did swap out the clutch fluid using the ranger method because when I was driving in a... sporty fashion, going from second to third just wasn't feasible. No grinding.. just couldn't push it in to third. After changing the fluid, It's going in to gear as it should.. but figured I'd share.

Lastly, There are some paint chips in the rear bumper.. I've read this is the norm with the GM paints of this year but I figured I'd ask if anyone had vinyl Wrapped their vette before with this kind of paint. I had an older car that I wrapped with chipped off paint and I did more harm than good to that paint job.

Any who, sorry for the long rant.. despite all of these small issues; It's an amazing car

P.S The pop up headlights work but when you turn them off and they close, you hear an awful grinding noise as if the car is trying to close the headlight even after it's closed.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:30 PM
Dub D
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not sharp on most of your questions but, since I just finished repairing both headlight motor gear assemblies I'll give you my thoughts on your headlights. It's probably the plastic gear making the grinding sound because of broken or worn teeth. There is a lot of info. on the Forum about this problem. I used the double gear kit from Rodney Dickman to fix mine. Check this out, and enjoy the mass of information that's on the Forum here.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:42 PM
motomanvette
Melting Slicks

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Turn signal could just be a dead bulb. Had same situation, swapped in a new bulb, problem solved. Good luck.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:42 PM
motomanvette
Melting Slicks

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Post some PICs when you get a chance.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:49 PM
MAC5
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 148 Posts

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your repairs. There is a wealth of info on this site to help you along. Take the time to read all the "sticky" posts at the top of both the "general" and ""tech" sections.

Your water leak source is from two possible areas.

The targa top leaks are probably due to the rubber seal being cracked. Most likely the rubber seal gaskets will need to be replaced. The under dash leak source could be clogged drainage "utters" that drain water from under the plastic cover at the base of the windshield. There are 3 of them and they will clog from accumulated debris. The utters are located on the firewall. Use the search function on this forum "drain utters" for information on location and how to clear them. You could also have a windshield seal problem but I'd start with the utters and move on from there.

Check post 1 at this link https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ak-checks.html

The C5 DRL/parking light assembly has a know problem with leaking water directly onto the bulb. The halogen bulbs give off heat that melts and cracks the top of the plastic housing directly above the bulb. You'll need to inspect those housings for cracks and either replace them, or repair the cracked area. I would recommend replacing the halogen bulb with a LED bulb to keep the new housing or replaced housing from cracking again.

Excellent link to "all things that can go wrong" drl/turn signal assembly, bulbs, sockets, and assembly removal
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rning-out.html

Concur with Dub D's comments on the headlamps grinding.

Last edited by MAC5; 06-21-2017 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:27 PM
huesmann
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Could be the lights got shorted out in the rain by leaky seals.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:34 PM
calcazar
3rd Gear

Here it is! Did not purchase this from CarMax lol, figured I'd take a quick photoshoot for you guys

Old 06-21-2017, 03:34 PM
Corvette#2
Safety Car

Received 394 Likes on 247 Posts

The turn signal issue is probably just the bulb. I got caught in storm last year and had to drive through some flooded streets, maybe 6" deep water and I lost one of my signals. But after replacing the bulb, it was all good.

Water coming out from under the dashboard sounds scary. You don't flood any of the electronics. I guess it could be the weather stripping around the windshield ?
Old 06-21-2017, 05:51 PM
dork
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 143 Posts

Mac5 is most likely right about the dash leak--it's probably clogged udders behind the battery in the engine compartment. The first thing I'd do is remove the BCM (Body Control Module) to guarantee it doesn't get wet. The BCM is different from the PCM. Search this forum for instructions on removing the BCM; it's fairly straightforward--pull up the passenger's side carpet cover (where their feet would rest) and unplug the connectors to the silver box you find beneath it. The (E)PCM is a brake module that's located under the battery in the engine bay; it's got nothing to do with this; it's very well sealed. The BCM is the module that is vulnerable. Remove the bolt(s?) that hold the box in place and remove the box. Those are just general directions--I can't remember specifics--if there's a plastic cover over the silver box, or how many connectors (two I think) and how many bolts, etc. My car's not with me right now.

If your BCM gets toasted, you'll have BIG troubles. They're hard to find, even on the used market. As I recall, only the 2002+ models are "readily" available--but you'll pay an arm and a leg for one if you can locate one. ALL of the C5 generation BCMs have been discontinued; I don't remember for sure, but there are definitely two versions--one for 1997-X, and X-2004 (I just don't remember what year 'X' is). If yours is ruined but you're lucky, yours will be the X-2004 version; they're still "available". If you find a new one, they're >$600 and will need dealer programming, so take care of the one you have if it's still dry. You can disassemble the metal housing to get to the circuit board and dry it out. Check for oxidation, and if it's wet, let it dry out for a few days before you reassemble the box.

There are several possible sources for leaks. Go through this "tutorial" and do everything advised in the article: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ak-checks.html

If nothing else, keep your car in a sheltered area (or godforbid, tarp it) until you can be sure you don't have a leak that'll ruin the BCM.

Also, check to see if your car has an LCM5 installed. Search the forum for "LCM5" and "service column lock". This is another dreaded idiosyncrasy of the c5s.

Last edited by dork; 06-21-2017 at 06:19 PM. Reason: LCM5
Old 06-21-2017, 07:40 PM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

The grinding noise you are hearing is probably the headlight door gears. Rodney Dickman sells a C5 Headlight Gear Repair Kit. I don't think he is a vendor here so I'm not going to post a link.

The problems you listed may be a PITA to fix but none of them are super expensive to fix. As mentioned, get that leak fixed or keep the car under cover untill you do.

Last edited by Greg_E; 06-21-2017 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:07 PM
calcazar
3rd Gear

Thank you for the replies guys!

The car will be garage kept and it will not be exposed to the rain. I'll also try my best not get surprised by the rain again.

Aside from the LCM5, is there anything I should look for or do from a maintenance standpoint? The bay looks untouched and unmolested.. I'll also take a look at the tutorial that was posted.

Thanks again!

Get notified of new replies

To Various C5 issues - First owned corvette

Quick Reply: Various C5 issues - First owned corvette