C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you take the cats off an X pipe without a tune?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 03:22 PM
delta_bratwurst
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Can you take the cats off an X pipe without a tune?

So I'm on lunch break right now and thinking about taking off the cats from my new header and X pipe system on my 01 Z when I get home. Can I safely remove the cats without the car going into limp mode because the emissions will be out of whack? I haven't had the chance to tune it yet.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:34 PM
Vetnutts
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by delta_bratwurst
So I'm on lunch break right now and thinking about taking off the cats from my new header and X pipe system on my 01 Z when I get home. Can I safely remove the cats without the car going into limp mode because the emissions will be out of whack? I haven't had the chance to tune it yet.
if you do, just add spark defoulers. It will trick the computer and not throw a code. C
Old 06-24-2017, 08:22 AM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 447 Likes on 329 Posts

[QUOTE=delta_bratwurst;1594999087] Can I safely remove the cats without the car going into limp mode because the emissions will be out of whack? /QUOTE]

Yes. Your check engine light will activate and throw codes for catalytic efficiency 0410 and 0420 IIRC. Your car will run fine otherwise.

There are a total of 4 O2 sensors. The first two are what the send info to the pcm to adjust the air / fuel mixture and are before the cats. The second two are after the cats.

Last edited by 3sACROWD; 06-24-2017 at 08:29 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Can you take the cats off an X pipe without a tune?

Quick Reply: Can you take the cats off an X pipe without a tune?