C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All warning lights problems - help

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 08:03 PM
Bumble Boogie
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: River City USA, East of the Mississippi Peoples Republic of Illinois
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All warning lights problems - help

Returning from a club drive out my 2000 C5 went crazy on my dash. Check engine light, check guages light, seat belt light, fuel guage went to empty, temp guage went to zero. windows would not work.

Went to O'Reilly's for a check engine light readout this morning.

It showed;

U1301, class 2 bus shorted to battery.

U1301 Communication shorted to battery

Rt Frt wheel speed sencer variation

U1016 loss of communication modul.

I stopped the engine and all went away. After about 10 minutes it came back again. This went on for about 30 miles, on and off again. I even rest the computer with the key fob to no avail About 45 miles away from home it went away and didn't come back.

What should I be looking for to correct this problem? Had fuel guage problem in May, dumped a can of Tech-Ron in the tank for it's annual C5 Cocktail. Was Kosher until Sunday's drive out. Any thoughts on this?
Old 06-26-2017, 08:21 PM
SilverC54me
Melting Slicks

Received 411 Likes on 333 Posts

I would look at the wiring harness that goes through the doors. Also check the wiring at the driver seat.

Search out the threads posted by Bill Curee on electrical issues. He has a laundry list of procedures on how to narrow down where the issue is.

More than likely there is a frayed pair of wires that is causing the issue.

Gary
The following users liked this post:
Bumble Boogie (06-27-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 08:32 PM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 444 Likes on 327 Posts

There is a good chance the problem is easy to fix. Bill Curlee did a writeup on how to fix. There is a electrical connection in the chassis near the accordions in the door that can become loose or corroded. Remove the accordion near the chassis and fish the wire and connector out. Open the connector to clean and ensure the male pins fit tightly into the female ends. It will likely be the driver's side but do both sides. It doesn't take long. (Maybe 30 minutes total)

When it happened to me, I was able to confirm it was the conection by pulling over, opening the door, and wiggling the accordion. The craziness went away for a little while.

DEFINITELY look at those connectors before digging any deeper.
Bumble Boogie (06-27-2017)
Old 06-27-2017, 01:14 PM
Bumble Boogie
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: River City USA, East of the Mississippi Peoples Republic of Illinois
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default warning light crazieness.

Originally Posted by 3sACROWD
There is a good chance the problem is easy to fix. Bill Curlee did a writeup on how to fix. There is a electrical connection in the chassis near the accordions in the door that can become loose or corroded. Remove the accordion near the chassis and fish the wire and connector out. Open the connector to clean and ensure the male pins fit tightly into the female ends. It will likely be the driver's side but do both sides. It doesn't take long. (Maybe 30 minutes total)

When it happened to me, I was able to confirm it was the conection by pulling over, opening the door, and wiggling the accordion. The craziness went away for a little while.

DEFINITELY look at those connectors before digging any deeper.
Thank you for the advice. Makes me feel so much better. I can do the accordion search in the door. If I didn't have my truck payment I would be driving a yellow C 6. Just have to grin and bear it until then.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:10 AM
Tttiger
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bumble Boogie
Returning from a club drive out my 2000 C5 went crazy on my dash. Check engine light, check guages light, seat belt light, fuel guage went to empty, temp guage went to zero. windows would not work.

Went to O'Reilly's for a check engine light readout this morning.

It showed;

U1301, class 2 bus shorted to battery.

U1301 Communication shorted to battery

Rt Frt wheel speed sencer variation

U1016 loss of communication modul.

I stopped the engine and all went away. After about 10 minutes it came back again. This went on for about 30 miles, on and off again. I even rest the computer with the key fob to no avail About 45 miles away from home it went away and didn't come back.

What should I be looking for to correct this problem? Had fuel guage problem in May, dumped a can of Tech-Ron in the tank for it's annual C5 Cocktail. Was Kosher until Sunday's drive out. Any thoughts on this?
I had the same problem. It was a loose or dirty connection of one of the door wiring harness. If you open the door, in the jamb, you'll see a rubber tube. The wiring is inside. Peel back one end and you can see the connectors. Unplug them and shoot some contact cleaner in both ends. Let it dry and reassemble. It cured my problem and I have not had any issues.

You might also check the two ground connectors on the frame rails up front by the radiator. Make sure they are clean and tight.
Bumble Boogie (06-28-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To All warning lights problems - help

Quick Reply: All warning lights problems - help