C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter install c5 ls1 2001

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 04:48 PM
Bruce A Johnson
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter install c5 ls1 2001

2001 C5 convert LS1 - Starter installation - got a starter and I have

the jack, stands, and creeper and do lots of light mechanical - Initial look makes me think the exhaust has to come off? I'm 73 years old and don't move around as good as I once did - Can I do this and any hints on this project would be greatly appreciated
Old 06-29-2017, 10:38 PM
SilverC54me
Melting Slicks

Received 411 Likes on 333 Posts

It is easier to take the H-pipe out when changing the starter. Get it up as high as you safely can. The studs/nuts for the exhaust flange at the manifolds can be difficult. I have had to replace several due to snapping the stud taking it off. Have a spare set of studs handy for the reinstall, Dorman Help #03113 is one of the packages I have used for replacements.

Also it is quite possible that you have a oily mess in that area.

Gary
The following users liked this post:
Bruce A Johnson (07-01-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 09:24 AM
Fast one
Safety Car

Received 348 Likes on 220 Posts

Penetrating oil usually won't be enough to overcome the corrosion on exhaust stud threads. Heat the nuts with a torch before trying to remove them from the studs to avoid breakage. Avoid heating any nearby wires and use a scrap piece of metal to shield them from the heat. Try to get the socket on the nut right after the torch is removed and reheat the nut if it doesn't break from the stud. Once the nut breaks free, spray with penetrating oil and unscrew the nut some then tighten a little with more oil as if tapping to clean the corrosion off the threads as the nut is removed. Reheat the nut if needed.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:35 AM
old stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

You can almost bet on breaking a few manifold studs. Take Fast one's advice,good luck.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:22 PM
Bruce A Johnson
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast one
Penetrating oil usually won't be enough to overcome the corrosion on exhaust stud threads. Heat the nuts with a torch before trying to remove them from the studs to avoid breakage. Avoid heating any nearby wires and use a scrap piece of metal to shield them from the heat. Try to get the socket on the nut right after the torch is removed and reheat the nut if it doesn't break from the stud. Once the nut breaks free, spray with penetrating oil and unscrew the nut some then tighten a little with more oil as if tapping to clean the corrosion off the threads as the nut is removed. Reheat the nut if needed.

Thanks Fast One - Got the H pipe off and then the starter went in easily - Still hate working on exhaust but got er done

Get notified of new replies

To Starter install c5 ls1 2001

Quick Reply: Starter install c5 ls1 2001