C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 12:13 PM
a_ahmed
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Default clutch recommendations

i know.. there's so many threads and everyone has an opinion.

I shift fast, i down shift, i go to redline, i heel&toe into corners... the car sees stop and go traffic... i like instant fast clutch/shift changes...

clutch kits cost $$$ for a vette of course...

I've run cerametallic puck clutches before in other cars just not the vette... chromoly and aluminum flywheels... in my track car the chatter was hell but then the entire car was so loud... and i could bear it... but im older now... but i still liked how fast my car would shift... as i enjoyed driving aggressively...

so... ceramic puck clutches... it seems there's monster level 3, spec stage 3 and 3+... what else?

Aluminum flywheels seem a no no with everyone... but the 18lbs chromoly ones seem okay... even the ebay one thats a hundred bux got some good reviews... not so sure id want to try the stage 3 puck cerametallic ebay specials... as the labor involved in a clutch swap is a nightmare... and costly.... do it right once...

everyone seems to be concerned with stock feel.. i hate the stock feel... its crap... its stepping on a marshmellow and shifts are slow... i missed the instant shifts and downshifts of my other cars...

it seems both the monster level 3 and spec stage 3 have reviews that mention no chatter or very little with proper break in...

so are my only options in the cheaper price range monster level 3 and spec stage 3?

I also read monster level 3 only lasted some guy two years.... they are not balanced from factory?

Last edited by a_ahmed; 07-26-2017 at 12:15 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:22 PM
99blkfrc99
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Your just like me 4 months ago. Want a sturdy clutch with no marshmallow pedal. Engages right at the top of pedal travel and have about 2 inches between off and on but can still slip it if needed. Monster stage 3 is it. That's what I've got and it's perfect.
The following users liked this post:
a_ahmed (07-26-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 12:34 PM
a_ahmed
Burning Brakes

yeah im spent between the two.. i also like the fact it comes with a flywheel and 50 bux more u get the chromoly 18lbs.... but im also in canada which sucks... tick only uses UPS and wants to charge me 100 bux for shippign and i know UPS rapes on their stupid fees and i dont trust UPS....

Hmm... i want the 18lbs chromoly flywheel... and monster level 3 or spec stage 3... they are both the cheapest options i can find... also from tick for only a bit more u can get premium c5 slave... so as a package it makes sense im just worried about ups and customs...
Old 07-26-2017, 01:41 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

ive sold cars over chattering clutches drives me up the wall

How much power are you making? Buy the least amount of clutch you need..some want to believe they need a race clutch then whine cause it acts like one.

Prefer a heavier feel myself but grew up with big blocks and stiff pedals.

So basically Im of no help

one mamo designed a pretty trick one but explains why it does what it does. the rest youll just hear repeated bs....buy xx brand cause i did.

Last edited by cv67; 07-26-2017 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:13 AM
My Vette Life
Safety Car

Received 240 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by a_ahmed
i know.. there's so many threads and everyone has an opinion.

I shift fast, i down shift, i go to redline, i heel&toe into corners... the car sees stop and go traffic... i like instant fast clutch/shift changes...

clutch kits cost $$$ for a vette of course...

I've run cerametallic puck clutches before in other cars just not the vette... chromoly and aluminum flywheels... in my track car the chatter was hell but then the entire car was so loud... and i could bear it... but im older now... but i still liked how fast my car would shift... as i enjoyed driving aggressively...

so... ceramic puck clutches... it seems there's monster level 3, spec stage 3 and 3+... what else?

Aluminum flywheels seem a no no with everyone... but the 18lbs chromoly ones seem okay... even the ebay one thats a hundred bux got some good reviews... not so sure id want to try the stage 3 puck cerametallic ebay specials... as the labor involved in a clutch swap is a nightmare... and costly.... do it right once...

everyone seems to be concerned with stock feel.. i hate the stock feel... its crap... its stepping on a marshmellow and shifts are slow... i missed the instant shifts and downshifts of my other cars...

it seems both the monster level 3 and spec stage 3 have reviews that mention no chatter or very little with proper break in...

so are my only options in the cheaper price range monster level 3 and spec stage 3?

I also read monster level 3 only lasted some guy two years.... they are not balanced from factory?
I've heard that Luk Ls7 clutches are pretty good and very reasonable in price but if you shop around for the right website.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:46 AM
sabastian458
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I had the monster single disc level 3.5 (full face) and the 3.0 (puck style) both with their 18lb chromoloy flywheel. The full face had a little chatter during break in but when away after. They do not make the full face anymore. Years ago when I put that setup in my C5 I replaced the disk with a new one, which is where the puck style came into play. Car ran great with it. I loved it.

This time around I went with a Monter billet twin level 2 with custom spec'ed disks. It is a work of art. Going with the 28ln flywheel with this twin, it is still lighter than the single disk clutch with the 18lb flywheel.
Old 07-29-2017, 06:52 AM
HPS MASTER TECH
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Nurburgring
I've heard that Luk Ls7 clutches are pretty good and very reasonable in price but if you shop around for the right website.
that what i put in mine. LUK 04-905 i think is the number. about $240 on amazon.

Last edited by HPS MASTER TECH; 07-29-2017 at 06:53 AM.
Old 07-29-2017, 07:36 AM
a_ahmed
Burning Brakes

so far i am leaning towards the monster level 3 and 18lbs flywheel... just need to find a way to get it to canada (shipping customs...)

for 50 bux more they offer the 18lbs flywheel which is a no brainer and i think for 50 or 80 bux more premium gm slave and tob... so i seems to be he most complete solution.

I was just confused with the clutch line and bleeder line (they offer that as an extra opion).

I was looking on tick website.

I recently installed the tick master, pedal feels properly solid compared to the stock garbage...

also looking to find mgw shifter... missed a smoking deal on one for cheap (used for 1000km)... now back to square one on that.

If only i lived in texas lol... seems like everthing for vettes is cheap down south

Get notified of new replies

To clutch recommendations

Quick Reply: clutch recommendations