C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Install Questions!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 08:49 PM
scales4576
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Install Questions!

I am planning to do a cam install in my 01 z06 in the next couple of months and i'm trying to figure out logistically if it is more cost effective to do it myself or have it done by vengeance racing (already pretty much decided on the VRX4 cam). I'm pretty experienced working on motors, have built a few small block fords, so I know I COULD do it but i'm not sure if I SHOULD.

I have already contacted vengeance and i'll be honest I was quoted some very reasonable prices (I think at least). I was told they could do the budget cam kit install for $2500 including tuning (comes with cam, springs, retainers, and pushrods) on top of that I would have them install a C5R timing chain because why would you not. Or I could do the cam kit plus (same as basic but add oil pump and trunion upgrade) for $3500.

The questions: I have heard an LS6 oil pump is perfectly fine for a moderate cam, so is an aftermarket melling one really necessary? Also the trunion upgrade, I can do that easily in a weekend so I don't see any point paying someone the labor to do it, and is that even a crucial thing? Seems more like a peace of mind upgrade.

Let me know what you think. Considering the cost of the cam kti, gaskets, new head bolts, crank bolt, tuning, etc. their price for labor is right around $1000 which seems very reasonable to me and if it means I don't have to tear apart the car in the garage i'm fine with paying the money.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:17 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

$1k more just for an oil pump and trunnion upgrade is pretty steep... the oil pump they shouldn't charge you any labor on since removal and reinstall is part of the cam job and on the trunnion upgrade I could see them charging maybe an extra hour labor for that... so whatever parts cost plus an hour labor, I'd say more like $350-400 would be reasonable
Old 08-10-2017, 10:30 PM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

To do the cam install yourself you have to either remove the steering rack or drop the motor cradle. Both are not fun, but doable. I removed the rack myself in my 2 car garage. Then you have to be able to torque the balancer bolt to 240 lbs torque. Got to have the right tools to do that. I paid $500 for my tune after cam install. Take the $2500 job and enjoy.

Last edited by Paul 75 L82; 08-10-2017 at 10:33 PM.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:03 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Just a CAM????????????????? You already have the heads off,,,, Why not up grade there too?

If it were ME,,,,,,,,,, I would save up the cash and do the heads at the same time. You will be amazed at the difference in performance.

What are your EXPECTED HP/Tq figures of just a cam and tune?

Make SURE that you have them install NEW LIFTER TRAYS/RETAINERS.

Note!!! Youre old lifters may not be happy with new lift and seat pressure of the new cam and srings. Seen that toooo many times.

Bill
Old 08-11-2017, 09:43 AM
scales4576
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies...well Paul I see you're in Georgia too..wanna help put a cam in? lol.

And Bill as of right now I'm not planning to have the heads pulled for the cam install. I agree with you having them ported and cleaned up would be a big improvement but i'm on a budget. The motor only has 36k miles on it so the lifters I think would be ok even though not ideal. Like I said I am pretty competent in the garage so I could pull the heads at a later date and do the lifters and all that pretty easily myself. The guys at vengeance told me a VRX4 228/230 .588/.592 112LSA on a ls6 with stock heads should get me to around 420whp

Get notified of new replies

To Cam Install Questions!

Quick Reply: Cam Install Questions!