C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver Information Center DIC switch Internal

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 05:53 PM
bryanrj
Navigator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Driver Information Center DIC switch Internal

Shortly after I bought my '99 C5, the push buttons quit working on the DIC switch. I still get information on the message panel, i.e. startup mileage, tire pressure info, door open, and more. But I cannot select fuel, gages, trip, and such. As such, I cannot call up the OBD II data as described elsewhere on this forum, nor program a key fob.

Thinking I may have had a bad switch, I found another used one and installed it while I was doing the ignition switch repair as posted by Bill Curlee while I had the console and dash area pulled apart.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ch-repair.html

Anyway, I dissected my old switch to see if there was some internal issue preventing it from operating. Bottom line, I could not find anything wrong, but did lightly clean the contact areas.

Here are some pictures of the insides. Besides the four tabs around the perimeter of the back of the switch, there are two plastic points welded to the back cover that must be released to get inside. I used a 1/4 inch drill to cut the welding away, allowing the back to be separated from the main housing body.

Note in the last photo, I transferred the pin numbers onto the other side of the board for clarity and tracing of the circuits.
Attached Images     
Old 09-08-2017, 05:01 PM
bryanrj
Navigator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Connection between DIC switch and IPC

Continuing my now intermittent DIC, I removed the Instrument cluster to see where the other end of the cable connects to the IPC itself. I want to clean the contacts and maybe verify the individual wires for continuity. Haven't found how to release the connector at the IPC end. It may need some further disassembly. The 10 lead, white connector, is the one that goes to the DIC switch.

Edit: Other end just pulls out, but it took some force. Continuity check in progress...

Last edited by bryanrj; 09-10-2017 at 03:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Driver Information Center DIC switch Internal