C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 C5 loses its memory on the DIC

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 05:40 PM
nylben
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 1998 C5 loses its memory on the DIC

In the past I have had intermittent problems with the fuel gauge showing empty when the tank is full. I was advised that I needed to add Techron, which I have done and that seems to keep that issue under control, but lately I have developed some additional issues. The car has almost 110,000 miles on it and lately it doesn't seem to want to retain information on the DIC - i.e. average fuel consumption goes to 0, trip computer goes to 0 and the DIC displays the actual mileage on the car. I've also, on occasion, gotten the "Pull key and wait 10 seconds" message. I've spoken with some other owners who have told me that I might have a bad fuel sending unit, others the ECM or BCM and still others that I might be having issues with bad grounds. I live in Wyoming and that limits the amount of driving time that I get because of weather and also limits my knowledge of what makes my C5 tick. If anyone has some ideas that I might try or steer me in the proper direction, I would appreciate it.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:58 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

It really sounds as if your battery voltage is low. I would perform a battery voltage test over a 24 hour period of time.

I would start by disconnecting the underhood light and waiting about 20 minutes to take a direct battery voltage reading. Without opening any doors or activating any systems check the voltage about every couple of hours until you go to bed and then the first thing in the morning.

If the battery is good, the voltage shouldn't drop more than about a volt. If it drops to below 11 volts, that could explain the issues you're experiencing. If the voltage remains above 12 volts, I would start checking some of the grounds on your car.

Good luck... GUSTO
The following users liked this post:
nylben (10-05-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 09:16 PM
SilverC54me
Melting Slicks

Received 411 Likes on 333 Posts

If the battery is over 3 years old replace it. These are the symptoms of a battery that does not have enough capacity to keep all the IPC preferences while cranking.

While replacing the battery have the connection inspected for corrosion not only at the terminals but at the starter terminals. Also look for signs of battery acid spills in the battery tray. If there were any signs of this pull the battery tray and inspect the wiring harness under it for damage.

Gary
nylben (10-05-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 10:02 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
100%

Symptom of a bad battery whose voltage takes a big hit during cranking causing memory retained items to return to default.......
100% ALSO!!

Your battery voltage is dropping too low when you first crank the engine and all the cars MEMORY erases its self and goes back to factory default settings.

You will also find that the cars emissions reset to the NOT READY state and will require the drive cycles to get them to the READY STATE.

Bill
nylben (10-05-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 12:00 PM
nylben
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the input - the battery is a red top and is almost 6 years old - time for a new one. Thanks for all the help!!!
Old 10-05-2017, 02:31 PM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Can you guys do anything the help me from losing MY memory????? It may be a moot point as my wifey regularly tells me that I'm beyond help....

Get notified of new replies

To 1998 C5 loses its memory on the DIC

Quick Reply: 1998 C5 loses its memory on the DIC