C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Column

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 11:26 PM
Lando25
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Column

Sorry if this has been asked as I did not see anything on here while searching. Just bought a 03Z and want to instal the LMC5 module. When I take my key out I can hear the motor buzzing within the column. However the wheel still turns freely. My question is was part of the GM recal leaving the motor to run the lock wired up? Im trying to figure out whether I need an unlocker kit along with the LMC5 module.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:14 PM
Lando25
Cruising

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
There was a variation of the GM Column Lock Recall Service that replaced the lock ring with one that was smaller in diameter so that the column did not physically lock when the lock motor did its thing.
Did GM do that on every applicable C5? Seems lazy to me to leave the motor working.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:23 PM
Lando25
Cruising

No they did NOT and there were very technical as well as business reasons they did/could not.

In fact relatively few C5's ever got the variation of the recall service that was done to your manual trans C5. That is because that variation did NOT come out until early 2007 and by then almost all the C5's that qualified for the column lock recall service already had been serviced under the earlier variations of the recall and GM was NOT required to retrofit any cars already serviced. The original NHTSA recall came out in Jan. 2004.
So it would be a safe assumption that the recall was done long after the initial NHTSA recall? I think ill still put the LMC5 module in there just to be safe.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:12 PM
Lando25
Cruising

I absolutely would install an LMC5 and when you install it do the "brown wire mod" described on page 2 of the install instructions as optional. Do it now and save the revisit....

None of the GM recall services were ever permanent solutions to the C5 Column Lock FUBAR. They are guaranteed to fail. NOT a matter of IF, just a matter of when..............
Sounds good, thanks for the help.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:50 PM
Lando25
Cruising

I absolutely would install an LMC5 and when you install it do the "brown wire mod" described on page 2 of the install instructions as optional. Do it now and save the revisit....

None of the GM recall services were ever permanent solutions to the C5 Column Lock FUBAR. They are guaranteed to fail. NOT a matter of IF, just a matter of when..............
Installed the LMC5 + brown wire mod and shift skip eliminator tonight. Took it out for a check drive and everything worked like a charm.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:23 AM
ArtClassShank
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 100 Posts

My column lock is still active and working. Have the LMC5 sitting around, too lazy to mess with it. That and a locked column comes in handy when doing stuff like SWPS and crank pulley job. I'm sure my laziness will bite me in the *** one of these days. Also don't have the unlocker.....going to need that.

Get notified of new replies

To Column

Quick Reply: Column