C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misfiring Now what

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 06:07 PM
DeadEndDan
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misfiring Now what

Hey guys been reading the forums for a few years never had an issue I could not find the answer to until now. Some people have has similar problems but have found very few to come to a strong conclusion.

A few weeks ago I was just going to get some gas when this SRT4 avenger was in front of me with a fart can on it driving like (explicit adjective). He got stopped at a light so when it turned green I gave him the business. He flipped me off for my trouble. Anyway went straight to the gas station got gas started it up and realized my car was missing like hell. A few days later I got plugs and cylinder 6 was black and gas soaked all other plugs were fine. Got a new wire set and a coil pack just in case changed everything and still missing. I went under the hood and checked on the grounds that Bill Curlee has went in depth about causing problems and they were pretty clean. For good measure I shined them up and still missing.

When I bought the car after poking around on the forum I looked at the PCM and it looked as it had been hit with some battery acid nothing to bad but it still had the AC Delco Battery that leaked in there. Immediately cleaned all that up and got a yellow top. That thing went crazy on me and lasted a little over a year. If I did not drive the car everyday the battery would die. Took it back to Sam’s club and got a Duracell AGM battery. Have had it in the car for a few months without problem until it started missing.

When driven The car is throwing all kinds of codes most are loss of communication codes. It is missing to the point of almost stalling. It has a heavy odor of gas like cylinder 6 is still not firing. I don’t want to drive it anymore because I don’t want to hurt it.

It is a 2002 auto the only thing I have done was change to Z06 shocks and put a BBK CAI on it and threw a tune on there from a super chips handheld tuner that I have since removed. I miss my car can somebody point me in a direction on where to go next.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:34 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

This might be a little "off the wall", but since you mentioned the problem seemed to coincide with a trip to the gas station, I'd be looking at A) a bad fuel filter; or B) a dirty fuel injector......
Old 10-19-2017, 09:04 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by DeadEndDan
Hey guys been reading the forums for a few years never had an issue I could not find the answer to until now. Some people have has similar problems but have found very few to come to a strong conclusion.

A few weeks ago I was just going to get some gas when this SRT4 avenger was in front of me with a fart can on it driving like (explicit adjective). He got stopped at a light so when it turned green I gave him the business. He flipped me off for my trouble. Anyway went straight to the gas station got gas started it up and realized my car was missing like hell. A few days later I got plugs and cylinder 6 was black and gas soaked all other plugs were fine. Got a new wire set and a coil pack just in case changed everything and still missing. I went under the hood and checked on the grounds that Bill Curlee has went in depth about causing problems and they were pretty clean. For good measure I shined them up and still missing.

When I bought the car after poking around on the forum I looked at the PCM and it looked as it had been hit with some battery acid nothing to bad but it still had the AC Delco Battery that leaked in there. Immediately cleaned all that up and got a yellow top. That thing went crazy on me and lasted a little over a year. If I did not drive the car everyday the battery would die. Took it back to Sam’s club and got a Duracell AGM battery. Have had it in the car for a few months without problem until it started missing.

When driven The car is throwing all kinds of codes most are loss of communication codes. It is missing to the point of almost stalling. It has a heavy odor of gas like cylinder 6 is still not firing. I don’t want to drive it anymore because I don’t want to hurt it.

It is a 2002 auto the only thing I have done was change to Z06 shocks and put a BBK CAI on it and threw a tune on there from a super chips handheld tuner that I have since removed. I miss my car can somebody point me in a direction on where to go next.
QUOTE" The car is throwing all kinds of codes most are loss of communication codes.

PLEASE list all those DTCs. It will tell us a LOT!!

Before you make the list,,, Clear ALL of the DTCs and then list the ones that come back. Make sure that you read them without turning off the ignition.

bc
Old 10-19-2017, 10:09 PM
DeadEndDan
3rd Gear

Thank you for the response Bill. The last time I drove it threw these out. I have since cleared and they will not come back unless driven. When driven it will throw codes and check engine light will flash and also have the heavy smell of gas

BCM B0508,BO503
PCM PO300,P0200
RFA U1000,C2105,U1096
RDMC U1064, B2285,B2283,B2265
LDMC, B2284,B2282,U1064
IPC U1040,U1176
Old 10-20-2017, 05:07 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Thank you for the response Bill. The last time I drove it threw these out. I have since cleared and they will not come back unless driven. When driven it will throw codes and check engine light will flash and also have the heavy smell of gas

BCM B0508,BO503
PCM PO300,P0200
RFA U1000,C2105,U1096
RDMC U1064, B2285,B2283,B2265
LDMC, B2284,B2282,U1064
IPC U1040,U1176

LOL!!!!! See, I told you that it would work! PCM P0200!!!

That means that the COIL primary 12 VDC is not working. There are TWO fuses on each bank. Two for the drivers coils and two for the passengers coils.

Check them. 16, 18, 22

If the fuses are good, check the VOLTAGE at each of those fuses to GROUND using the test points on top of the fuses.

BC

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 10-20-2017 at 05:08 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:41 PM
DeadEndDan
3rd Gear

Checked the fuses all were good. With the engine on they all had 14.35 volts. Since this has started after a very spirited piece of driving on my part I think I broke or tore or chaffed something. Just don't know where to look...

Last edited by DeadEndDan; 10-21-2017 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:32 AM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,314 Likes on 886 Posts

Praise thee to Bill Curlee in whom we trust. May Bill Curlee bless thee and keep thee. Amen!
Old 10-22-2017, 12:24 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Checked the fuses all were good. With the engine on they all had 14.35 volts. Since this has started after a very spirited piece of driving on my part I think I broke or tore or chaffed something. Just don't know where to look...
If you have misfiring cylinders, they will be COLD or COLDER than the one that are firing. If you have an inferred laser thermometer, measure the temps of each exhaust manifold pipe and see what one are colder than the rest.

That will be the cylinders that are having issues.

SPARK, FUEL, AIR or COMPRESSION

Something is missing. Just got to figure out whats wrong.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 10-22-2017 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:33 PM
punz
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

Pull valve covers and check the valve springs?

Get notified of new replies

To Misfiring Now what

Quick Reply: Misfiring Now what