C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nasty Noise..Pulley or worse?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 06:44 PM
Mitsumark
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Nasty Noise..Pulley or worse?

99 Vette..Driving normal at slow speed and started hearing a loud knocking sound..Does it in gear or neutral..Popped the hood and the sound is very loud..Coming from the area midway down the front of the engine..I happen to see some sparks coming from behind the area of the large pulley and tensioner area..Its not throwing belts yet and everything is normal as far as oil pressure,temp,volts,,ect..Car also has a fairly new GM balancer with pin kit..I dont see any wobbles anywhere..So I have loud noise and sparks..I know Im gonna have to dig in but looking for possible clues..Car has 62K on it...Thanks..
Old 10-19-2017, 08:16 PM
jim993
Drifting

Received 523 Likes on 334 Posts

Remove the main belt and check the water pump, other accessories by hand. A water pump or other accessory bearing can make quite a lot of noise when going out.

If that doesn't find it, the AC belt is next.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:42 PM
Mitsumark
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Gonna do that tomorrow..Ran out of daylight...I'm really leaning towards a bad WP..

Last edited by Mitsumark; 10-19-2017 at 08:51 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Nasty Noise..Pulley or worse?

Quick Reply: Nasty Noise..Pulley or worse?