C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIC Buttons Not Working

Old 10-20-2017, 01:36 PM
dannyzabolotny
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default DIC Buttons Not Working

Hi all,

My newly acquired 1998 Vette has non-working DIC buttons which makes for some difficulties, like not being able to program a new key fob and having the tire system warning pop up constantly.

I've done a bit of reading on the matter and I've tried some of the basic troubleshooting steps. I've tried pressing the buttons on the DIC numerous times to try and un-jam them (some have said that could be the issue) but no luck with that.

Would replacing the DIC module fix the issue? I see a good used condition DIC module on eBay for like $80 that I could try. Or is the issue in the cluster itself? I've heard of that being the cause too.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:39 PM
FX VETTE
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Winner 2020 C7 of the Year - Modified

I would replace the DIC switch. I've replaced mine before - purchased from the same place you mentioned (fparts) . It's not hard to do - but it is time consuming.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:29 PM
dannyzabolotny
Advanced

Originally Posted by AE Guy
I would replace the DIC switch. I've replaced mine before - purchased from the same place you mentioned (fparts) . It's not hard to do - but it is time consuming.
Good to hear you've had a good experience with that! That fixed your issue? I have no problem taking apart a cluster, I've done that with both my Mustang and my BMWs.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:38 PM
FX VETTE
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Winner 2020 C7 of the Year - Modified

Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny
Good to hear you've had a good experience with that! That fixed your issue? I have no problem taking apart a cluster, I've done that with both my Mustang and my BMWs.
My problem was bulbs flickering in the DIC. Replaced the bulbs and still had the same issue. Replaced the DIC switch itself with one from fparts, which was listed as used but actually looked new when I got it. I could tell that the metal contacts on the old switch were loose after I took it out. Anyway, yep - problem solved.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:06 PM
dannyzabolotny
Advanced

Originally Posted by AE Guy
My problem was bulbs flickering in the DIC. Replaced the bulbs and still had the same issue. Replaced the DIC switch itself with one from fparts, which was listed as used but actually looked new when I got it. I could tell that the metal contacts on the old switch were loose after I took it out. Anyway, yep - problem solved.
Gotcha. My issue is that the buttons straight up don't work. Sounds like the panel could be acting up since it's probably original from 1998. At only $80 for the DIC switch set, it's worth a shot. Worst comes to worst I can just return it or resell it if I don't need it.

I don't think my cluster itself is the problem, since everything still works properly on it and I can still see the mileage along with other messages that come up, like for the active handling and cruise control.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:30 PM
SilverC54me
Melting Slicks

Received 411 Likes on 333 Posts

More than likely it is an issue with the IPC itself. I have just replaced 2 IPCs for friends that had issues with the DIC buttons. I had tore the IPCs apart looking for crap on the contacts causing a short but did not find anything. Took a bit of watching the parts for sale on the forum and Craigslist to find an IPC but got them at reasonable prices.

If you have access to a Tech II use it to read the IPC error codes. This will tell you which button is bad and possibly help narrow down the issue. You can clear the code in the IPC with the Tech II after disconnecting the DIC buttons. If the code still remains as a C H then the IPC is bad.

Gary
Old 10-20-2017, 06:09 PM
dannyzabolotny
Advanced

Originally Posted by SilverC54me
More than likely it is an issue with the IPC itself. I have just replaced 2 IPCs for friends that had issues with the DIC buttons. I had tore the IPCs apart looking for crap on the contacts causing a short but did not find anything. Took a bit of watching the parts for sale on the forum and Craigslist to find an IPC but got them at reasonable prices.

If you have access to a Tech II use it to read the IPC error codes. This will tell you which button is bad and possibly help narrow down the issue. You can clear the code in the IPC with the Tech II after disconnecting the DIC buttons. If the code still remains as a C H then the IPC is bad.

Gary
I don't have access to a tech II, unfortunately. Though maybe I could find a local Corvette shop that could take a look at my car to diagnose whether it's a DIC issue or an IPC issue.

Get notified of new replies

To DIC Buttons Not Working

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIC Buttons Not Working