C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EBCM removal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 08:02 AM
zeke2u
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Default EBCM removal?

Now that MA inspection wont allow any ABS lights, and after driving for 4 years with no ABS or Traction Control, I'm ready to resolve the "No communication" issue and resolder the EBCM. My only problem is getting the module off the ABS pump. I've removed the four machine screws but am having difficulties getting the module seperated. I don't want to damage anything so here I am asking for the collective wisdom on the forum.....
Old 11-28-2017, 06:34 PM
zeke2u
Racer

Thanks for the link to ABSFIXER - a picture is worth a thousand words. My difficulty is that there are 6 screws, not 4, that hold the EBCM to the pump.....my bad! I'll get those other two screws tomorrow - thanks again!
Old 11-28-2017, 07:30 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

ya,the last 2 might make a little diff
Old 11-29-2017, 08:46 AM
awches
Pro

Received 158 Likes on 106 Posts

I took mine apart last month and re-soldered the contact solder joints. Success! About 1000 miles since and no more dash lights for ABS and Traction Control. But, lost one center screw going back together and didn't worry about it. Had applied a coat of silicone seal on all mating surfaces.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:00 AM
zeke2u
Racer

That's good news awches! If I were smarter, I would have attempted this in a warmer season. Plus, not having a whole vehicle lift makes it that much more difficult to access the bottom screws. I should have it out later this afternoon, after I get out of work.....
Old 11-29-2017, 11:15 AM
awches
Pro

Originally Posted by zeke2u
That's good news awches! If I were smarter, I would have attempted this in a warmer season. Plus, not having a whole vehicle lift makes it that much more difficult to access the bottom screws. I should have it out later this afternoon, after I get out of work.....
Had mine up on jack stands and did all from underneath.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:06 AM
zeke2u
Racer

I'm still stuck! I removed the EBCM and resoldered the 5 spots on the board/relay. Still get "No communication". I've tested the connector and get 12 v at pins A and B and l get continuity at the ground at pins F and G. The fuses in the engine (5 and 52) are fine and the IP, fuse 8, too. Should I just assume that the processor is bad? If I send the unit out to ABSFixer, can they resolve the issue? This has been rather painful......
Old 12-03-2017, 07:19 PM
awches
Pro

Beyond my knowhow, I would send it to ABSFixer or try to call him before hand.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:40 AM
dproto09
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm stuck also. The two middle bolts head snapped off. I was able to remove the EBCM. But now I cant remove the two bolts. I tired to use wd40 rust penetrate with vise grips and I got nothing yet. I have no clue how the middle ones broke off and the top and bottom came off with no problem. I have no clue what to do next. especially. I don't think a drill can fit down there.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:09 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by zeke2u
I'm still stuck! I removed the EBCM and resoldered the 5 spots on the board/relay. Still get "No communication". I've tested the connector and get 12 v at pins A and B and l get continuity at the ground at pins F and G. The fuses in the engine (5 and 52) are fine and the IP, fuse 8, too. Should I just assume that the processor is bad? If I send the unit out to ABSFixer, can they resolve the issue? This has been rather painful......
What year car do you have? 2001 - 2004? I am not sure ABSFixer can actually repair the problem you are experiencing the web site says they can repair failures that generate the following codes: C1214, C1217 and C1218 which basically means replacing the relay inside the module. Be sure to ask them what their capabilities are.

Bill
Old 01-14-2018, 09:13 AM
zeke2u
Racer

Hi Bill - my Z' is '03. Sent the module to ABSFixer and they repaired whatever was causing the "no communication" issue. They didn't give any detailed explanation of what it was they replaced. I did speak with them before I sent it out and they seemed confident that they could repair it. I reinstalled the module and it appears to be working with no error codes. I still have a question about the adhesive sealant that GM uses to mate the module with the BPMV: it seems to be more an adhesive than a sealant. Man, it was difficult to remove the module and to clean the remaining adhesive. The service manual gives no clue as to what kind of gasket material is used. Anyway, I used a Permatex product called Ultra Grey, advanced formula for rigid torque and high vibration applications. I hope I used enough for this particular application - my concern was over applying material and having it contaminate any of the 12 cylindrical cases on the solenoids. I've started the vehicle a dozen or so times and there's still no error messages. Part of my make-up is to be skeptical and I'm wondering if my gasket sealing skills are sufficient to keep corrosion from creeping into my work. Also, I'm just waiting for the roads, here in MA, to clean-up a bit before I take it to have the state inspection.

Get notified of new replies

To EBCM removal?

Quick Reply: EBCM removal?