C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing PCV Lines - Pulling Intake Manifold Necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 08:41 AM
K9Leader
Burning Brakes

Received 373 Likes on 181 Posts

Default Replacing PCV Lines - Pulling Intake Manifold Necessary?

So I've searched both messages, on this forum and several others, and for videos related to this question - Is it necessary to pull the intake manifold in order to change out the PCV lines? I've found information on how to pull the manifold, and information on how to replace the PCV valve, and a few that mention replacing or repairing the PCV lines (but either in addition to other jobs requiring pulling the manifold or not specifically saying whether the manifold was pulled). I've found diagrams of how the PCV lines fit onto the engine (doesn't look complicated other than not being clear whether the manifold has to be pulled) but no mention if the job can be done with the manifold in place.

So, anyone who has done this, is it necessary to pull the manifold? Or is it possible to do it without pulling the manifold? Or is it possible in theory but I will end up wishing I had pulled the manifold?

It may all be moot as it looks as though the oil pressure sending unit or its wires have gone over to the Dark Side so a manifold pull may be unavoidable (and maybe it is time to upgrade to an LS6 or Fast 90 manifold).

K9Leader
Red cars are faster.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:54 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by K9Leader
So I've searched both messages, on this forum and several others, and for videos related to this question - Is it necessary to pull the intake manifold in order to change out the PCV lines? I've found information on how to pull the manifold, and information on how to replace the PCV valve, and a few that mention replacing or repairing the PCV lines (but either in addition to other jobs requiring pulling the manifold or not specifically saying whether the manifold was pulled). I've found diagrams of how the PCV lines fit onto the engine (doesn't look complicated other than not being clear whether the manifold has to be pulled) but no mention if the job can be done with the manifold in place.

So, anyone who has done this, is it necessary to pull the manifold? Or is it possible to do it without pulling the manifold? Or is it possible in theory but I will end up wishing I had pulled the manifold?

It may all be moot as it looks as though the oil pressure sending unit or its wires have gone over to the Dark Side so a manifold pull may be unavoidable (and maybe it is time to upgrade to an LS6 or Fast 90 manifold).

K9Leader
Red cars are faster.
Why do you want to replace the PCV lines? I did mine b/c I had to replace the passenger side pcv valve (code 1416)? I repositioned that valve so it could easily be replaced. Real good youtube, "how to" on it.
So, I replaced the hose from the back of the head to the side of the engine.

AND, red cars are faster.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:37 AM
K9Leader
Burning Brakes

Received 373 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by runner140*
Why do you want to replace the PCV lines? I did mine b/c I had to replace the passenger side pcv valve (code 1416)? I repositioned that valve so it could easily be replaced. Real good youtube, "how to" on it.
So, I replaced the hose from the back of the head to the side of the engine.

AND, red cars are faster.
When I was attempting to replace the PCV valve, the plastic tubing broke off. I've temp fixed it by just running 3/8 hose to a new boot and new valve but my Type A instincts won't let me not "make as it should be." Also, based on how deteriorated the valve boot was, I am concerned that the other connectors are also in bad shape.

Anyway, the oil pressure sending unit replacement is likely to be happening and I will also relocate it. I've seen that video and also the extensive write up on that process from the other forum.

K9Leader
Old 12-08-2017, 09:51 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

I replaced the air system with 5/8" heater hose...purchased 5 feet.
Kill a few minutes and look at YouTube "C5 Corvette pcv check valve replacement...alternative".
Old 12-08-2017, 10:36 AM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 981 Likes on 624 Posts

pulling the intake gives you easy access to both, not a hard job at all, no gasket scraping like the old days, no fluid draining.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:26 PM
foggy
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Pulling the intake will make it way easier. Plus you get the bonus of
cleaning up all the garbage that's accumulated.. You can even check the
condition of your knock sensors and wiring.
You'd be surprised at all the junk that's there... IF you do pull intake,
I'd do the oil pressure sending unit while in there too

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing PCV Lines - Pulling Intake Manifold Necessary?

Quick Reply: Replacing PCV Lines - Pulling Intake Manifold Necessary?