C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

air condition

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 10:02 PM
who928
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default air condition

My 01 vert. It seems i'm getting cool air out of passenger side only and hot air out of drivers side with air condition on. any easy fix or dealer ? thanks Joe
Old 01-24-2018, 10:51 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,292 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Moved to C5 Tech.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:39 PM
mrlmd
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

Possibly low on freon.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:51 PM
who928
Advanced

Default air condition

Originally Posted by mrlmd
Possibly low on freon.
checked for codes , no codes have cold air on pass side warm air on driver side. It has a duel system
Old 01-26-2018, 09:47 PM
grassblaster
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

hijacking. I too have a ac issue. it gets cold for a bit but think it freezes up. can i buy a can of coolant and do it myself? or is this something for a service shop?
Old 01-27-2018, 11:11 AM
mrlmd
Drifting

There are no codes for "low on freon".
Old 01-27-2018, 11:31 AM
mrlmd
Drifting

I meant that post for the thread starter, sorry if you thought it was for you.
With no codes, - It's just so much easier to check the freon first and refill if necessary than to start to rip up the dash looking for something else, or getting ripped off at the dealership..
Old 01-29-2018, 07:58 PM
who928
Advanced

Originally Posted by mrlmd
I meant that post for the thread starter, sorry if you thought it was for you.
With no codes, - It's just so much easier to check the freon first and refill if necessary than to start to rip up the dash looking for something else, or getting ripped off at the dealership..
will check freon
Old 10-25-2018, 01:30 PM
SoCalSteve
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem, with a twist. At idle, after warm-up, air conditioner blows warm to hot air on driver side, very cold (depending on setting) on passenger side. Problem is complex with multiple failures contributing to trouble with diagnosis. Steps taken to date on my 2003 Z06:

1. Entire new AC system installed: compressor, dryer, and other components. This to correct original failure of entire AC (both sides).
2. After about 6 months, this hot on driver / cold on passenger side issue started NO CODES.
3. Diagnosis showed low on Freon (equivalent - can't remember its name). System recharged and actuators reset. System 'seemed' OK for short while.
a) dark fluid in drip pan seemed to be power steering fluid.
b) power steering leak found and fixed
c) power steering leak/ fluid color masked Freon leak. Couldn't see the colored dye due to PS fluid
4. 'Freon' recharged (again). Again, system seemed OK, but it didn't last.
5. Found faulty gasket from new AC install. Repaired (warranty), refilled Freon, no leaks.
6. IMMEDIATELY, hot driver / cold passenger problem persisted
7. Reset actuators again 3 times. Symptom during reset: flaps move to full hot no problem. You can feel the full hot air. Then flaps move to full cold. At this moment, get warm air from drivers, cold air from passenger
8. During 2.5 hour drive home, experienced FULL COLD air from both sides when at freeway speed. Held my hand in front of passenger and driver outlets and it felt the same. Still no codes!?
9. When in stop and go slow traffic, got warm to hot air from driver side, while passenger remained cold?????

So, it seems that I have no problem at speed, but have the hot driver side during stop and go?! We are stumped. Any ideas welcome!

Thanks
Old 10-25-2018, 08:16 PM
pjensen
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like the a/c compressor install was done poorly - not testing for leaks.

I replaced my a/c system this suumer. Ran into several problems with leaks. The o-rings that came with the condenser were the wrong size. Also had issues with o-ring at the evaporator. I used a nitrogen bottle to pressure the a/c system to 100 psi and see if it held that pressure for several hours. Then I used a vacuum pump for 5+ hours to get the system down to 750 microns (using a gauge to monitor it). Then I put in R134a refrigerant to break the vacuum.

I went through several different o-rings before I got the right one that did not leak. If your mechanic didn't do this checking, no wonder you have a massive leak.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:33 AM
Simtech
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 69 Posts

This could just be the blend doors. A quick and simple thing to do is disconnect the battery for a few minutes then hook it back up and start the car. Do not adjust the temp setting for several minutes while the blend doors calibrate them selves. I had a Tahoe that the blend door actuator were going out on and this would fix it for a while but I eventually had to replace them. Good Luck

Get notified of new replies

To air condition

Quick Reply: air condition