C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Procedure for Restart/Drive After Long Term Storage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 03:32 PM
Andy H
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Procedure for Restart/Drive After Long Term Storage?

Hi guys,

I am getting ready to get my '99 'vert back on the road after several years of it being stored. Does anyone have any advice as to what procedures I should carry out before attempting to restart it? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Andy
Old 01-31-2018, 09:14 PM
killian96ss
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 181 Posts

Good battery, fresh gas, fresh oil change. Crank engine without starting to build oil pressure and lubricate all parts. You should be able to pull fuel pump fuse to prevent the engine from starting, but maybe someone who has done this will chime in?

Steve
The following users liked this post:
Andy H (02-01-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 10:13 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

How many years?
Did you add fuel stabilizer before storage?
Otherwise pretty much above; but I'd try to change the oil before cranking if you can.
PDQ after (or before); check/change coolant, hoses, belts. Then rear and tranny fluids...
Andy H (02-01-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 08:03 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Personally, my preference would be to change the oil after you start it unless it is known to be total crap. Changing prior is only going to drain many of the galleries that still are holding oil and I wouldn't want to start it that way.

One thing you can do is unplug the injectors and pull the plugs. You can then spin the motor to a high enough RPM that you will see oil pressure. When I did this after a cam swap the oil pressure showed up after I released the key, not while it was spinning. Not sure if that was because the starter was taking so much juice but you could see the oil pressure register. Then you can put things back together and start.

Also depends on what you did with the fuel prior to storing. I would also throw some injector cleaner in the tank once it is running.

Please post how it goes.

Last edited by vettenuts; 02-01-2018 at 08:03 AM.
Andy H (02-01-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 11:07 AM
Andy H
Instructor

Thanks, grantv. It has been two years since it ran. I didn't intentionally store it so I did not treat the fuel with stabilizer. I'm wondering whether I should attempt to drain the tank?

I had planned on changing the fluids, but not the belts and hoses, though I do like that idea.

Originally Posted by grantv
How many years?
Did you add fuel stabilizer before storage?
Otherwise pretty much above; but I'd try to change the oil before cranking if you can.
PDQ after (or before); check/change coolant, hoses, belts. Then rear and tranny fluids...
Old 02-01-2018, 11:31 AM
Andy H
Instructor

Hi vettenuts. The oil is Mobile 1 synthetic, and changed just prior to the car getting stored. It's probably good. Thanks for the insight into starting prior to draining. I had not thought of that.

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Personally, my preference would be to change the oil after you start it unless it is known to be total crap. Changing prior is only going to drain many of the galleries that still are holding oil and I wouldn't want to start it that way.

One thing you can do is unplug the injectors and pull the plugs. You can then spin the motor to a high enough RPM that you will see oil pressure. When I did this after a cam swap the oil pressure showed up after I released the key, not while it was spinning. Not sure if that was because the starter was taking so much juice but you could see the oil pressure register. Then you can put things back together and start.

Also depends on what you did with the fuel prior to storing. I would also throw some injector cleaner in the tank once it is running.

Please post how it goes.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:04 PM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 446 Likes on 328 Posts

We're the tanks full during this time? If yes, add some dry gas treatment and maybe some octane boost. Then drive the car like your every day vehicle until you get fresh gas. Then you can play. The other option is to drain what you can and fill with fresh.

Sounds like the oil is fresh. It may have moisture on top of it though. Build the oil pressure as suggested then start it up. Once the engine is up to temp, let it run for 30 minutes or so to boil the moisture out. You can drive it during this time which will get it up to temp faster.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:34 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

There is no need to be pulling fuses and relays or disconnecting wiring. Hold the pedal to the floor and the injectors will not be fired and the engine will get no fuel.

I would just fire it up. If you're really worried then pull the plugs and put a little oil in each cylinder, crank it over a few times and then re-install the plugs and fire it up.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:39 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Two years isn't that long, I thought it was something like seven. Just had a friend go through the same thing. He just turned the key, all was fine. He ran out some of the gas and put in fresh. I think you are OK just firing it. Like stated above, you can hold it to the floor and crank it for a bit to get the oil in the pump but if the oil was fresh let her rip.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:13 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

If it were my car, I'd do two of the things that were mentioned above. 1) pull the plugs, and squirt a little oil in each cylinder; 2) hold the gas pedal to the floor, and crank it for a few seconds, to build oil pressure. Then let it fire up.

The above, of course after either fully charging the existing battery, or installing a new one.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:17 PM
92GA
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
Oldtimer

Did you have premium gas in when stored? If so I'd just start it, let it run for a few minutes and take it for an hour drive to get the moisture out of the engine IF there is any. I wouldn't drain the oil if it had new oil before storing. If you do, you will have to fill the oil filter ect before it gets oil to the bearings, not a good idea.

Get notified of new replies

To Procedure for Restart/Drive After Long Term Storage?

Quick Reply: Procedure for Restart/Drive After Long Term Storage?