C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 misfire 5 cylinders randomly

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 11:00 PM
Carla Diffee
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 misfire 5 cylinders randomly

Just had all of the following things done to my 2002 Z06 Corvette.

New rotors and brake pads
Brake system flushed
Cleaned Master Cylinder
Replaced Valve Springs .600 lift performance
Valve stem seal
New water pump and gasket
New thermostat
Coolant dex cool
New Flywheel and Pro Gold Series performance clutch
New slave cylinder
Replaced fuel filter with regulator
New shocks
R&I transmission/differential
Resealed rear tail shaft on transmission
So basically a transmission overhaul
Resealed Differential
Steam clean transmission, differential and rear cross member.
New drive shaft

Picked it up from the shop which they only work on Corvettes. It is a full shop for Corvettes they rebuild them from the bottom nothing they don't do to them. This shop is rated top 100 shop in Corvette fever magazine. The issue happens on 3 different cylinders of the eight and not the same ones. And then all of a sudden all 8 cylinders will work for a minute. When I drive it bogs down with now power and all of a sudden it takes off like normal. Then back to bogging down again.
The mechanic put it on the scanner and it shows the misfiring on the cylinders. He doesn't know what is causing it. Help any ideas I want my car back.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:45 AM
04zjimc
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Carla Diffee
Just had all of the following things done to my 2002 Z06 Corvette.

New rotors and brake pads
Brake system flushed
Cleaned Master Cylinder
Replaced Valve Springs .600 lift performance
Valve stem seal
New water pump and gasket
New thermostat
Coolant dex cool
New Flywheel and Pro Gold Series performance clutch
New slave cylinder
Replaced fuel filter with regulator
New shocks
R&I transmission/differential
Resealed rear tail shaft on transmission
So basically a transmission overhaul
Resealed Differential
Steam clean transmission, differential and rear cross member.
New drive shaft

Picked it up from the shop which they only work on Corvettes. It is a full shop for Corvettes they rebuild them from the bottom nothing they don't do to them. This shop is rated top 100 shop in Corvette fever magazine. The issue happens on 3 different cylinders of the eight and not the same ones. And then all of a sudden all 8 cylinders will work for a minute. When I drive it bogs down with now power and all of a sudden it takes off like normal. Then back to bogging down again.
The mechanic put it on the scanner and it shows the misfiring on the cylinders. He doesn't know what is causing it. Help any ideas I want my car back.
Do you have a check engine light? If so did you check for codes? I had the same problem when i installed headers.. I had false misfired but the main problem was my 02 sensors were bad..the power would come then I had no power back and forth. I hooked up my tech2 and my o2 froze up. No check engine light..
Old 02-08-2018, 07:51 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Were the plugs in or out when all the work was done? Don't see new plugs so I might look for damage plug insulator or possibly wires. There is nothing in the work list that would be a direct cause unless they steam cleaned the motor as well.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:19 AM
04zjimc
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 98 Posts

I could be wrong, but I was told sometimes aftermarket clutches and flywheels can cause false misfires something the tuner can take care of..
Old 02-09-2018, 10:33 AM
killian96ss
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 181 Posts

Sounds like one of the engine sensors got water inside. This is why I never recommend steam cleaning engines or transmissions. High pressure water causes water to get forced past the seals into the sensors or harness causing random misfire and other odd problems. The problem may fix itself once everything dries out or you could unplug the cam/crank and other engine sensors to help dry everything out faster .

Steve

Get notified of new replies

To C5 misfire 5 cylinders randomly

Quick Reply: C5 misfire 5 cylinders randomly