C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Best type of Air Intake
OEM C5 Intake?
20.93%
Aftermarket Intake Systems
79.07%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Air Intake System C5

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 07:46 PM
Johnny the Greek
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Air Intake System C5

After several months of searching for different air intake mods, I found a company from Southern California aFe Power.
I am very pleased with the product, easy simple installation it looks, and sounds good! Please view the short video and comment. Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: wmv
aFe.wmv (3.16 MB, 83 views)
Old 02-13-2018, 08:42 PM
Route99
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 863 Likes on 667 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Easy to install. Liked the background music.
I notice the video said "24 max horsepower." But there is no minimum HP gain stated, so if I only gain 2HP I'm within the parameter of 24HP maximum. Also, is this horsepower at the flywheel or rear wheels? It may have been reflected in the video and I overlooked it.
I don't know if you're planning on doing a before and after dyno comparison, but I'm sure many Corvette enthusiasts will be very pleased if this intake does provide a 24HP increase since it is relatively easy to install. Please let us know what you find out.
Best wishes with your project.
The following users liked this post:
Johnny the Greek (02-15-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 10:47 PM
sirdano
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts

I think everyone says that if you are not bring in outside air then it a hot air intake and very little hp again.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:54 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Best intake for HP? By a small margin aftermarket.
Best for looks? Aftermarket.
Best for avoiding water ingestion? Stock.
Best for reducing noise? Stock.
So best for what?
All just my opinion.
The following 2 users liked this post by grantv:
Johnny the Greek (02-15-2018), JohnYoung58 (02-18-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 10:48 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by sirdano
I think everyone says that if you are not bring in outside air then it a hot air intake and very little hp again.

I have a VARARAM Cold Air Intake system. It works well.

I like the noise, performance and the way its installed.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:28 PM
Sam Handwich
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee

I have a VARARAM Cold Air Intake system. It works well.

I like the noise, performance and the way its installed.
Bill, with nearly 30,000 posts on CF your advice carries a lot of weight. Regarding the Vararam I keep hearing it is a horrible fit and needs lots of finagling to get it to seal up correctly.
Have you done a post that would help with the finer points of installing a Vararam?

Thanks
Old 02-14-2018, 07:02 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

I voted for the stock set-up and here is why: I don't track or race.
It's not a DD and other then the Corsa Sport cat back with their x-pipe, it's bone stock. I did, however install a Z06 air intake filter cover on mine to allow it breath a little better.

Last edited by SG Lou; 02-14-2018 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:46 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Handwich
Bill, with nearly 30,000 posts on CF your advice carries a lot of weight. Regarding the Vararam I keep hearing it is a horrible fit and needs lots of finagling to get it to seal up correctly.
Have you done a post that would help with the finer points of installing a Vararam?

Thanks
Not a Vararam fan due to my fear of water ingestion mainly, as my Z is my DD. That said cool air has obvious benefits, and water fears aside it is the best fresh air intake IMO.
The fit'n'finish is known to be questionable, but as long as it is completely sealed after the filter, some leaks are not really that much of a concern. Again; IMO.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:05 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

My VARARAM System fit fine. HOWEVER,,,,,,,,,,,, The FOAM Filter that came with the system, SUCKED. I switched to a GREEN FILTER and that porvided superior results with fit and filtering. The supplied FOAM filter is HORRIED and should NOT be used!!

WATER ... I have driven in many BAD rain storms without any issues. I DO NOT drive thru any DEEP water.

BC
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Curlee:
Sam Handwich (02-14-2018), VaraRam Industries (02-16-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 11:48 PM
Sam Handwich
Burning Brakes

My VARARAM System fit fine. HOWEVER,,,,,,,,,,,, The FOAM Filter that came with the system, SUCKED. I switched to a GREEN FILTER and that porvided superior results with fit and filtering. The supplied FOAM filter is HORRIED and should NOT be used!!

WATER ... I have driven in many BAD rain storms without any issues. I DO NOT drive thru any DEEP water.

BC
So is this Green Filter of which you speak similar to the K&N filters?
Old 02-15-2018, 08:05 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

So is this Green Filter of which you speak similar to the K&N filters?
Better, IMO. They use a woven material rather than mat so the thickness is consistent. Also, they don't bleed the rubber into the filter area so for a given filter size the actual filter available is larger.
Sam Handwich (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 08:11 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Based on the video, think I would just do the Donaldson.

I am running the Callaway Honker. Like the good quality of the setup and it moves the MAF to just in front of the throttle body. I have the green filter and bought an extra to swap so when the filter needs cleaning I can just swap them since most of the filters require washing and air drying so the car is down for a while.

Callaway now comes with the K&N filter, which I think is a downgrade. I spoke to someone at Callaway about this and it was a question of supply, i.e., Green Filter couldn't supply the filters fast enough for Callaway to meet sales.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:17 PM
Johnny the Greek
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by vettenuts

I am running the Callaway Honker. Like the good quality of the setup and it moves the MAF to just in front of the throttle body. I have the green filter and bought an extra to swap so when the filter needs cleaning I can just swap them since most of the filters require washing and air drying so the car is down for a while.

Callaway now comes with the K&N filter, which I think is a downgrade. I spoke to someone at Callaway about this and it was a question of supply, i.e., Green Filter couldn't supply the filters fast enough for Callaway to meet sales.
Did not knew about this manufacturer, $499.00 little bit more that I wanted to pay, but it seems good product. I pay for my system $340.10 so far I am pleased. In addition, I wanted to eliminate the "accordion" type coupling to intake,it disrupts the air flow.

Last edited by Johnny the Greek; 02-15-2018 at 01:21 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-15-2018, 01:24 PM
Sam Handwich
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vettenuts

What video?
thanks
Old 02-15-2018, 04:45 PM
MisterG
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I put the same aFe intake on my car recently. It was an easy 30 minute job. It looks great and sounds better than the stock intake. I doubt there's much gain in power. A small gain at best and nothing I could notice by seat of the pants feel.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:18 PM
Johnny the Greek
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by MisterG
I put the same aFe intake on my car recently. It was an easy 30 minute job. It looks great and sounds better than the stock intake. I doubt there's much gain in power. A small gain at best and nothing I could notice by seat of the pants feel.
I can say that I noticed any increase of power. I did noticed better response from dead stop with auto-trans.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:28 PM
Johnny the Greek
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Route99
Easy to install. Liked the background music.
I notice the video said "24 max horsepower." But there is no minimum HP gain stated, so if I only gain 2HP I'm within the parameter of 24HP maximum. Also, is this horsepower at the flywheel or rear wheels? It may have been reflected in the video and I overlooked it.
I don't know if you're planning on doing a before and after dyno comparison, but I'm sure many Corvette enthusiasts will be very pleased if this intake does provide a 24HP increase since it is relatively easy to install. Please let us know what you find out.
Best wishes with your project.
No dyno, I am not planning to do one. I am pretty happy so far. The project was simple, economical, quick and I believe functional. I received allot of good information from the forum and from many members. We all agree our intake mod is (was) a good investment.

Last edited by Johnny the Greek; 02-15-2018 at 07:30 PM. Reason: typo

Get notified of new replies

To Air Intake System C5

Old 02-16-2018, 11:09 AM
VaraRam Industries
Supporting Vendor

Received 154 Likes on 117 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'11-'12

BC
The foam filter has not been part of the system for over 12 years now.
All our units use the Green High Performance filter -great filter!
Old 02-16-2018, 11:11 AM
VaraRam Industries
Supporting Vendor

Received 154 Likes on 117 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'11-'12

Thanks
Here is a link to our installation video that may help!

Old 02-16-2018, 07:22 PM
Johnny the Greek
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by VaraRam Industries
Here is a link to our installation video that may help!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdcDC3-qtGg&t=9s
As an Engineer, I liked the idea of "true" cold air system that VaraRam provides. However, we basically have to take apart the front end of the vehicle to properly install, while assembling several pieces, that according to users many of the pieces did not fit good. I just do know if it's worth it?

Quick Reply: Air Intake System C5