C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

c5 cam change

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 01:22 PM
99ghostvette
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default c5 cam change

my name is joel i have an arctic white 99 m6 and like every other ls1 out there delco balancer is walking. since i have to pull the balancer anyway how much harder is a cam change with engine still in place? ive done many cam swaps in ls engines on a stand but never in a chassis.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:31 PM
Carl Timonen
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

If you plan on changing the lifters and trays (recommended), you'll need to pull the intake manifold and heads.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:43 PM
99ghostvette
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C5 cam change

Originally Posted by Carl Timonen
If you plan on changing the lifters and trays (recommended), you'll need to pull the intake manifold and heads.
I have a really low mileage car and j just want a little thump at idle i was gun a go with the tsp stage 3 low lift kit with a 111lsa. You think i still should pull the heads?
Old 02-19-2018, 06:36 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 370 Likes on 317 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

The heads have to be pulled if you swap the lifters and trays
Old 02-19-2018, 06:43 PM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 981 Likes on 624 Posts

after you get the balancer pulled, you're close pull radiator hold the ac condenser out of the way and you can get the cam out. If you don't plan on changing the lifters, there's a way to hold them out of the way with a couple of wood dowels or rods. not much more work as long as you're replacing the balancer
Old 02-21-2018, 01:35 AM
evolmotorsprt
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Not sure if it's still the best choice, but the GM Hotcam should give you a nice bump in power without having to change the valve springs.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:35 PM
Time for a C-5
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 179 Posts

Changing the lifters is not required (although not a bad idea) but the valve springs and pushrods are necesary. How many miles? A ls2 timing chain for $45+\- and maybe a new oil pump since you're removing the old one. Maybe consider a little more cam since your going throught the effort and you have a manual trans. My 222/226 .600 112 drives nice and easy.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:43 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Have you factored in that you will need to have the PCM tuned to get the idle straight and the most out of the cam install??

New timing chain LS2 or better..
Timing chain dampener
Recommend new Melling oil pump
New valve springs
Pushrods
Front cover gasket,
dampener seal
Valve rocker arm bushing kit! ( highly recommended)
Old 02-26-2018, 04:30 PM
Route99
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 863 Likes on 667 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

If you're wanting "a little more thump at idle, the Hot Cam" would work.
Time for a C-5, and Bill Curlee are both correct. You need to change the springs and push rods. I believe Chevy recommends the LS6 springs for the Hot Cam and typically has kits with both the cam and springs together. Or, pick up replacement springs from any of the forum sponsors who offer engine parts.
Even though it is more money (but not a huge amount), Bill's recommendations for other parts are valid. You are already there; the front of the engine is disassembled for the cam, so go ahead and add these few parts when putting it back together. No point in doing it twice. If you're doing the work, your time is valuable. If you're paying a shop to install the cam and dampener (balancer), you'll pay several hundred dollars more if you have to go back later to replace a timing chain, oil pump or whatever else. I even went a little farther during my rebuild and added the water pump, too.
The only challenge I see, is that some '97-99 engine blocks had holes for mounting the timing chain dampener and some blocks did not. There are kits you can buy that have an adapter plate for the chain dampener if you have to go that way and if you chose not to drill the holes in your block.
Best wishes with your modding.

Look at ATI or Powerbond for your replacement harmonic balancer/dampener. I'm not aware of anyone that has had great results putting a replacement GM dampener on.

Last edited by Route99; 02-26-2018 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:46 PM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,314 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by 99ghostvette
my name is joel i have an arctic white 99 m6 and like every other ls1 out there delco balancer is walking. since i have to pull the balancer anyway how much harder is a cam change with engine still in place? ive done many cam swaps in ls engines on a stand but never in a chassis.
Check out LS1HOWTO.com. They have a C5 cam install write-up with pictures. The main parts are you have to remove the radiator and the steering rack. You have to remove the steering rack anyway to change the balancer. But it can be done on jackstands in a driveway in a weekend.

If you are low miles, you do not have to change your lifters, so not need for head removal.

You would also need a tune to take full advantage of any cam.

This rabbit hole is bottomless.

Get notified of new replies

To c5 cam change

Quick Reply: c5 cam change