C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Z06 Driveline Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 02:18 PM
wayneinvirginia
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Default 2004 Z06 Driveline Noise

Coming back from a long road trip in my 2004 Z06 I started hearing what started out sounding like a slight chirping noise that would come and go which I thought might be belt related (new belts were just installed). As I traveled farther the noise got slightly louder and more consistent, sounding like a bearing failing to me. Ultimately I was able to determine that the noise stops when the clutch is disengaged, the noise only happens over 50 mph in 4th through 6th gears. The transmission shifts smoothly. If you are driving around town 45 mph and under you would have no indication there was any problem. I am not sure what I may be looking at, my first thought was possibly a torque tube bearing but I would think that would be noisy at all speeds.

Has anyone had a smiliar issue or can point me in a possible direction?
Old 02-20-2018, 02:45 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by wayneinvirginia
Coming back from a long road trip in my 2004 Z06 I started hearing what started out sounding like a slight chirping noise that would come and go which I thought might be belt related (new belts were just installed). As I traveled farther the noise got slightly louder and more consistent, sounding like a bearing failing to me. Ultimately I was able to determine that the noise stops when the clutch is disengaged, the noise only happens over 50 mph in 4th through 6th gears. The transmission shifts smoothly. If you are driving around town 45 mph and under you would have no indication there was any problem. I am not sure what I may be looking at, my first thought was possibly a torque tube bearing but I would think that would be noisy at all speeds.

Has anyone had a smiliar issue or can point me in a possible direction?

Well,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Its very difficult to pin point it exactly BUT,,,,, you know it coming from the CLUTCH and ANYTHING wrong with the clutch means a total replacement of all the wear parts.

How many miles on the clutch???

It really isn't worth trying to fix just one thing. If I had to point to a bad component it would be the pressure plate fingers being worn and not even at the same height. Several fingers are or could be higher than the rest. Very common issue on an OEM Pressure plate.

When that happens your driving the throw out bearing even when it released. Applying full release pressure doesn't cause the noise.

It could also be a damaged TT front bearing.

ONLY WAY to really know is to maybe drop the inspection cover and do some sleuthing inside the bell housing.

You can most likely drive it for a while longer but the issues will just get worse over time..

Bill
Old 02-20-2018, 02:53 PM
wayneinvirginia
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Well,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Its very difficult to pin point it exactly BUT,,,,, you know it coming from the CLUTCH and ANYTHING wrong with the clutch means a total replacement of all the wear parts.

How many miles on the clutch???

It really isn't worth trying to fix just one thing. If I had to point to a bad component it would be the pressure plate fingers being worn and not even at the same height. Several fingers are or could be higher than the rest. Very common issue on an OEM Pressure plate.

When that happens your driving the throw out bearing even when it released. Applying full release pressure doesn't cause the noise.

It could also be a damaged TT front bearing.

ONLY WAY to really know is to maybe drop the inspection cover and do some sleuthing inside the bell housing.

You can most likely drive it for a while longer but the issues will just get worse over time..

Bill
63,000 miles on the original stock clutch.

Is it worth a fluid change in the transmission and differential to see if anything changes?
Old 02-20-2018, 03:11 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

WELL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, If you have NEVER before inspected the levels, it sure cant hurt to pop out the fill plugs and see where the levels are.

FOR SURE changing the trans fluid to a full synthetic will greatly improve the shift feel!!

I don't see the differential making that noise but a fluid change is justified due to age and miles.

IMHO, you have the GM OEM clutch wear noises and it will soon need to be disassembled/inspected and replaced.
The following users liked this post:
wayneinvirginia (02-20-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To 2004 Z06 Driveline Noise

Quick Reply: 2004 Z06 Driveline Noise