C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Squeak

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 08:54 PM
josh00saleen
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine Squeak

I have an engine squeak on my 2000 Corvette. I've changed both belts and now the power steering pump (thought for sure that was the culprit). No luck. Any ideas? Its tough to track down. It sounds like it's coming from the drivers side. It's just really hard to tell for sure. I read about it and others reported the Power Steering pump. I had someone else look at it and they thought it was the pump as well. One thing, I did buy a rebuilt pump. The one that came out didn't feel bad to me just by manually turning the shaft.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:58 PM
Corvette#2
Safety Car

Received 394 Likes on 247 Posts

Could be one of the belt tensioners. Or one of the idle pulleys.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:11 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Pull the belts and check the pulleys out. They should turn nice, the same, no wobble if you try to wobble them. Could also be the HB. Run the motor without the belts; does the noise stay? Does it wobble at all?
Old 02-22-2018, 10:56 AM
Yokesc5
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Using a stick of wood, squweegee handle works great, as a sythescope ,go around the areas, you will hear the good n bad so when the squeel comes you will definitly know it. Sound transmits through solid objetcs well so explore around until you are certain.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:34 PM
bahamasair
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When you replaced the power steering pump did you re-use the old pulley?
Old 02-22-2018, 05:22 PM
josh00saleen
Heel & Toe

Ok I've tracked it down to the Harmonic Balance Pulley. I did this by pulling both belts (no squeak), adding only ac belt I get squeak, adding only serpentine belt I get squeak. I spray WD40 on the harmonic balancer w/ only the serpentine belt squeak goes away for a minute. My question now is why? What could go wrong with it? Its seated on the shaft correct? Could I have more damage that is unseen? I'm a little worried as to the what all could be wrong. Do I just replace the harmonic balancer pulley and go on? Any ideas appreciated. Thanks...
Old 02-22-2018, 10:25 PM
Route99
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 863 Likes on 667 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Is the harmonic dampener (balancer) wobbling when the engine is running?
When you say, replace the harmonic balancer pulley, are you meaning replacing the balancer?
If you think about a common link to your trouble shooting above, (with just the ac belt you get a squeak and with just the serpentine belt you get a squeak), I believe the single major common engine part involved is your balancer.
Look to see if you balancer wobbles when the engine runs. With the engine off, see if there is any play in the balancer if you try moving it back and forth by hand.
Hopefully, that will help you determine if your balancer is good or bad. After that, check the belt tensioners and idle pulleys as Corvette#2 suggested.
Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
josh00saleen (02-23-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 10:42 AM
josh00saleen
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Route99
Is the harmonic dampener (balancer) wobbling when the engine is running?
When you say, replace the harmonic balancer pulley, are you meaning replacing the balancer?
If you think about a common link to your trouble shooting above, (with just the ac belt you get a squeak and with just the serpentine belt you get a squeak), I believe the single major common engine part involved is your balancer.
Look to see if you balancer wobbles when the engine runs. With the engine off, see if there is any play in the balancer if you try moving it back and forth by hand.
Hopefully, that will help you determine if your balancer is good or bad. After that, check the belt tensioners and idle pulleys as Corvette#2 suggested.
Good luck.

Yes I'm fairly certain it is the harmonic balancer that needs replaced.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:46 AM
Fast one
Safety Car

Received 348 Likes on 220 Posts

Does the squeak go away shortly after you start driving or is it continuous?
Old 02-23-2018, 11:40 AM
josh00saleen
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Fast one
Does the squeak go away shortly after you start driving or is it continuous?

Yes at first it did (all last summer) after about 10 minutes of driving it would go away. But in trouble shooting I sprayed WD40 on the harmonic balance pulley (which DID make the squeak go away for a minute or so) and now the slight squeak is WAY worse and in driving for 15 minutes it did not go away.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine Squeak

Quick Reply: Engine Squeak