C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I Need to Replace My Valves?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 12:02 AM
Imamotohead
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Do I Need to Replace My Valves?!?!

So we were in the process of replacing the valve springs on my ‘03 Z. Once we got the rockers off this is what I found.

Pretty severe looking wear to the tips of the valves where the rockers ride. All of the valves are showing similar wear. Some worse than others. My friend whose a master level professional technician, is STRONGLY recommending that I replace the valves. I was definitely not expecting anything like this because the car only has 31,xxx miles. I really don’t want to pull the heads but certainly will if necessary. Opinions from the group as always are much appreciated!!

Thanks!!
Old 03-12-2018, 08:26 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Hard to tell how bad they are from the photo because photos tend to make things look worse than they are. Not sure if you could use lash caps or if they would even fit. You may need to shim the rockers and increase pushrod length with lash caps. As I recall, valves are 8mm diameter but don't trust my feeble memory >>>> 8mm Lash Caps

Other issue is that I'm not sure the LS6 valve are still available from GM, which means heavier valves and stronger springs to control them at the higher LS6 RPM capability.

Last edited by vettenuts; 03-12-2018 at 08:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 06:37 PM
hatewhatownsyou
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Why can’t a machine shop resurface the end of the stem?
Old 03-12-2018, 06:42 PM
hawk4077
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 53 Posts

what I would look for is what caused it so it didn't happen again ?
Old 03-12-2018, 09:05 PM
Imamotohead
Advanced

Originally Posted by hawk4077
what I would look for is what caused it so it didn't happen again ?
My guess as to what caused it is too many start ups after the car had been sitting for extended periods of time. Considering it’s an ‘03 with only 31,xxx miles it has spent a lot of its 15 years sitting around. After sitting awhile the valve train dries out. Then maybe on start up the car is not even driven or allowed to warm up properly. Wear over time. PITA now!
Old 03-12-2018, 10:47 PM
foggy
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

That's one of the biggest reasons to go to a full roller rocker..
I know that the stock ones work fine... But there are advantages to
a full roller (with roller tip too)..
Old 03-13-2018, 10:19 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by hatewhatownsyou
Why can’t a machine shop resurface the end of the stem?
Don't think the hardened surface thickness is enough to allow this.

A photo will really magnify things so not sure how bad they are. I took pictures of an issue I had with a cam several years ago. The lobes definitely had some morkes on them but when I took the photos they looked like they were totally destroyed and the surface of the moon.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:58 AM
midnight01
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Thats what happens when the roller rockers flex from bent pushrods/improper clearance/loose roller rockers/defective valve guides. Check your pushrods and make sure they are all straight, also check the geometry of each. You do that by taking off the rockers and applying a dye to the tip and then turn over the motor by hand and that will show you the wear pattern. if it is not centered you may need new rockers and/or pushrods
Have you checked the roller tip for excessive wear? Replacing the valves does not fix the underlying problem. Valve stems usually have wear its an abused part of the valvetrain.

Take a look at this article.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ctrp-...rain-geometry/

Last edited by midnight01; 03-13-2018 at 12:05 PM.
ArmchairArchitect (03-13-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 12:37 AM
foggy
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by midnight01
Thats what happens when the roller rockers flex from bent pushrods/improper clearance/loose roller rockers/defective valve guides. Check your pushrods and make sure they are all straight, also check the geometry of each. You do that by taking off the rockers and applying a dye to the tip and then turn over the motor by hand and that will show you the wear pattern. if it is not centered you may need new rockers and/or pushrods
Have you checked the roller tip for excessive wear? Replacing the valves does not fix the underlying problem. Valve stems usually have wear its an abused part of the valvetrain.

Take a look at this article.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ctrp-...rain-geometry/

Factory LS rocker arms do NOT have a roller tip... I suggested going
to a roller tip (&fulcrum) rocker arm to avoid this issue..
Old 03-14-2018, 06:49 AM
midnight01
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by foggy
Factory LS rocker arms do NOT have a roller tip... I suggested going
to a roller tip (&fulcrum) rocker arm to avoid this issue..
I meant rocker tip not roller, I am aware they are not roller tips.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:24 PM
apex26
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Your friend is giving you good advice. That's 16 wear surfaces creating metal shavings, not to mention if it's causing excessive wear on the 16 rockers. It's the highest PSI pressure in the motor, and the surfaces are too rough for the oil film to protect, sorry to say.
ArmchairArchitect (03-18-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 10:35 PM
Imamotohead
Advanced

Originally Posted by apex26
Your friend is giving you good advice. That's 16 wear surfaces creating metal shavings, not to mention if it's causing excessive wear on the 16 rockers. It's the highest PSI pressure in the motor, and the surfaces are too rough for the oil film to protect, sorry to say.
Thanks Apex. That’s an explanation my pea brain can understand. Looks like I’ll be pulling the heads this weekend. I’m a little intimidated but will have some help and will soldier through. I really wasn’t planning to do many mods to the motor but now that I’m gonna be in there anyway.....
Old 03-18-2018, 10:17 AM
redzg
Melting Slicks

Received 665 Likes on 533 Posts

With that level of wear -- too much to ignore, but not beyond hope -- why not try the lash caps first? Not terribly cheap, since it would seem likely you will need new push rods too, but significantly less work and time.

Get notified of new replies

To Do I Need to Replace My Valves?!?!

Quick Reply: Do I Need to Replace My Valves?!?!