C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine shutoff at 1-2 mph w column lock error 🤨 HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 06:51 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by ztheusa
I'm sure a CLB has failed, but I've never heard of it. One thing for a new owner.............it would be a good time to also remove the climate control head and send it in for soldering and new LEDs.....................since the same bezel has to be removed. At least there are no fasteners to break, the bezel is all screws.
Also would be a good time to install a hyperflash harness and eliminate the possibility of the hazard switch failing and loosing turn signals

Not really gonna go wrong with either choice.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:19 AM
UM Rebel
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts

Jumping these cars is a good way to cause all kinds of electrical problem. My personal experience, destroyed EBCM. If battery is dead, disconnect and fully charge before trying to start
Old 03-16-2018, 07:48 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Still NOT "used to"....having a problem and getting it answered completely, with absolutely no response....like... thanks, I'll get one, or anything else. I'll get over it.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:55 PM
Jeremiah Pasternak
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, I got my kit today. I feel like I followed the directions to a T with the exception of not unhooking the relay (because there were 3 units where there should have been 2 and all were the wrong color and based on the directions this seemed more a recomdation than a necessity). it took a good hour plus (unless your 5 ft tall these are pretty hard to get to) and when I turned the key, ‘wait 10 seconds...’ ah, NO! I went back and did the brown wire thingy, turned the key and....NO! I went back and looked through the 3 relays (pictured) and after removing some tape determined that one had the right color wires, so I unhooked that and turned the key...and still nothing. Outside of the directions the only thing that I can think of is the passenger fuse 23, which is missing (i’m guessing I removed it last week and misplaced it). Do i need this fuse in? Could this one little thing be causing the error to still show up? Could one of the wires have gone in the wrong pay?
I’m not going to sugarcoat it, i’m not technically / mechanically inclined so if there may be a way to troubleshoot, feel free to dumb it down 😉
Old 03-16-2018, 06:26 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,054 Likes on 2,030 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff T.
People need to understand, there is NO dealer fix!!

Install a CLB or LMC5 and if you only drive it on ocassion then keep the battery fully charged with a Battery Tender or similar while the car is not in use.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:38 PM
m4bgringo
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by oharal
LMC5 is crazy easy to install...instructions are very clear and simple to follow.
Took me 10 minutes, I was slow.........
Old 03-17-2018, 07:13 AM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by Jeremiah Pasternak

So, I got my kit today. I feel like I followed the directions to a T with the exception of not unhooking the relay (because there were 3 units where there should have been 2 and all were the wrong color and based on the directions this seemed more a recomdation than a necessity). it took a good hour plus (unless your 5 ft tall these are pretty hard to get to) and when I turned the key, ‘wait 10 seconds...’ ah, NO! I went back and did the brown wire thingy, turned the key and....NO! I went back and looked through the 3 relays (pictured) and after removing some tape determined that one had the right color wires, so I unhooked that and turned the key...and still nothing. Outside of the directions the only thing that I can think of is the passenger fuse 23, which is missing (i’m guessing I removed it last week and misplaced it). Do i need this fuse in? Could this one little thing be causing the error to still show up? Could one of the wires have gone in the wrong pay?
I’m not going to sugarcoat it, i’m not technically / mechanically inclined so if there may be a way to troubleshoot, feel free to dumb it down 😉
Call Richard at Compliance. Very helpful and will walk you through the installation.
http://www.complianceparts.com/contactus.html
Old 03-17-2018, 07:51 AM
steig
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 197 Posts

LMC5 is best 40 bucks you can spend for your C5.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:58 AM
wdcraig
Pro

Received 277 Likes on 163 Posts

I'd too would advise giving Richard of Compliance Parts a call if you need help troubleshooting (855) 565-8388. I spoke with him before buying the LMC5 and I found him to be very knowledgeable and helpful! By the way- while not a mechanic, I can follow instructions and I work on watches as a hobby (can take one completely apart, clean, repair and put it back together again) and it took me quite awhile to install my device. So my hat is off to anyone who can do this the first time without reading the instructions a couple of times and get this installed in under a half an hour. My car had only the first recall performed (computer reprogram) and my wheel locked, so I had an extra step to perform. Most of my time spent was due to the access to the car's computer being cramped. Also some of the connections can be a bit stubborn to release (at least that was my experience). .

By taking my time, following the instructions to the letter, I have not had the "Pull Key Wait 10 Seconds" error message.

Last edited by wdcraig; 03-17-2018 at 08:59 AM.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:52 PM
Dbl_D718
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 93 Posts

Install of the LMC5 today took me almost exactly 20 minutes, from arriving at my car in the dealer's parking lot, to turning the key the first time after install. If you read through the instructions once before, then follow them during, it's very easy. I'm good at these types of jobs from my car stereo days, but anyone should be able to handle this.

No problems since installing the LMC5! I did not do the brown wire mod.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:01 AM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Make sure to read all instructions as the brown wire mod is not shown. Call Richard at Compliance if you have any questions.

Old 03-19-2018, 04:56 PM
bikemiser
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by ztheusa
I'm sure a CLB has failed, but I've never heard of it. One thing for a new owner.............it would be a good time to also remove the climate control head and send it in for soldering and new LEDs.....................since the same bezel has to be removed. At least there are no fasteners to break, the bezel is all screws.
What is CLB?
Old 03-19-2018, 07:43 PM
oharal
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by bikemiser
What is CLB?
Column lock bypass
Old 04-18-2018, 06:30 PM
daveven
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Lcm5

Make sure you use the brown wire. Mine still stalled until I connected the brown. No problem since.

Quick Reply: Engine shutoff at 1-2 mph w column lock error 🤨 HELP!