C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT4 in a C5 corvette ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2002, 09:05 AM
LT4_383
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT4 in a C5 corvette ?

I am seriously thinking about buing a C5 corvette. There is how ever one catch ... I just bought a very powerfull engine witch is about 550horsepower and is built for about 270hoursepower uppon in NOS (gas). This engine is soon to arrive here to Iceland and I had planned to put it in my current car witch is camaro Z28 1993 4th g.
Now I have spent all this money in this engine and I dont want to sell it. I how ever have fallen in love with the C5 and would very mutch like to get my self one.

Is it possibul to replace the LS1 with my LT4 if I use all the LS1 boltons ? As in altenator powersterring etc ... I know the LT4 is a bit heavyer, that could be solved by stiffening the front damper up and I allso know the gearbox in the corvette is rear axle mounted.

One man told me he didn´t think the gearbox would fit on the LT1/LT4. Well how can that be if the 700R4 fits on bouth LT1 and LS1 ?

In your opinion would it be possibul to replace the LS1 by my LT4 sucsessfully ? And one otherthing, is it possible to get a 6 gear manual gearbox that handles up to 700horses ?

Bottom line questions ...

1. Is it possibul to fit the LT4 into the C5 body ? If so, what is requerd to do ?

2. What manual 6gear box can handle up to 700horses ?

PS. I´m sorry about my grammer, I´m from Iceland you know ...

:chevy F O R E V E R :chevy
Old 10-17-2002, 10:19 AM
Walt Donovan
Racer

Default Re: LT4 in a C5 corvette ? (LT4_383)

How many years do you have to complete this project? Nothing will fit. If you have a machine shop, you could build all the adapters you'll need, or else pay someone to do this. Getting it to run.... that's gonna be tricky. Completely different computers and engine management systems. The engine won't like the LS1 computer (nothing to fire the ignition for one). The car won't like the LT1 computer (for similar reasons). Good luck and let us know how you make out. I don't envy you.
Old 10-17-2002, 11:04 AM
thunderbolt47
Instructor

Default Re: LT4 in a C5 corvette ? (Walt Donovan)

In reading about the development of the LS1 and the corvette I read that chevrolet had trouble getting LS1's for testing and they tried to put LT4's in the c5 body for testing purposes. It didn't work because the LT4 is a longer engine. So besides the other issues about computers and incompatible parts, I think the older moters will not fit physically without really really radical changes.
Old 10-17-2002, 11:47 AM
kewlbrz
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Anything is possible with time and money. But I think it would be a waste.

If you have to have a C5, bite the bullet, and stay with the LSx technology.
Old 10-17-2002, 01:45 PM
LT4_383
Cruising

How about the C4 ? That should be a peace of cake ? Where can I find a manual 6 gearbox to handle the 700horses ?
Old 10-17-2002, 03:12 PM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,333 Likes on 1,956 Posts

1st - if you're looking for a Corvette, go with the C5. Don't waste time with the C4.

2nd - putting an LT1 in the C5 would not be impossible. In fact, I think the only "hard" part would be fabricating the engine mounts to work correctly. After that? Wiring it up to work with LT1 engine management or a DFI system is not difficult AT ALL.

3rd - The cost of swapping your built LT1 into the C5 would be prohibitive and, quite frankly, wouldn't make much sense. For the money it would cost between wiring, fabrications, customizations, etc.... you could get a serious heads / cam kit for the C5.

I know you want to run the engine you've just built, but it really doesn't make common sense or $$$$$ sense to put the LT1 in a C5 if that is the car you want. I say sell the LT1 engine and buy/build what you want for the Corvette's LS1. That is the best route. You'll have NONE of the headaches of a swap like you are suggesting, your car won't be out of commission for several months while you figure stuff out with a swap. And you won't have things under your hood jury-rigged.

And believe me, in most situations I advocate swaps - just look at my sig! But an LT1 into a C5 is really working backwards. Maybe for a C4, but that is a WHOLE other breed of Corvette from the C5. I suggest that you drive a C4 and a C5 and decide which you prefer. Then the decision on the engine is made by default.
Old 10-17-2002, 03:40 PM
Phil-tha-Rush
Le Mans Master

Default Re: LT4 in a C5 corvette ? (Brett C5 SCCA)

1st - if you're looking for a Corvette, go with the C5. Don't waste time with the C4.

buy a C-4 at HALF the price of a C-5... then install your engine and mop up the street with C-5s, while the rest of us C-4ers WASTE OUR TIME!
Old 10-17-2002, 03:57 PM
NJVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Default Re: LT4 in a C5 corvette ? (kewlbrz)

Anything is possible with time and money. But I think it would be a waste.

If you have to have a C5, bite the bullet, and stay with the LSx technology.
Old 10-17-2002, 04:06 PM
Untouchable00
Melting Slicks

Hey, Iceland is a beautiful place, I have plans to go there next June.
Old 10-17-2002, 04:22 PM
Z06er
Intermediate

Why not put the new motor where it belongs...into the Z28? Sell or keep it...buy the C5 and enjoy it the way it is or (if you want more power) do up the LS1 or LS6. You would have two good buggies then instead of a patched together, make shift, sorta Corvette C4.5.
Just my opion.
Old 10-17-2002, 07:36 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: LT4 in a C5 corvette ? (Z06er)

Years ago someone put a big block in a C5

Get notified of new replies

To LT4 in a C5 corvette ?

Quick Reply: LT4 in a C5 corvette ?