C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV/Catch Can routing for LS3/L92 C5

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 04:54 PM
nsogiba
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 233 Posts

Sorry, I misspoke. The system is plumbed as shown in the first diagram. It's the driver's front valve cover port that leads into the air bridge. No baffles, valves, or catch cans in that line.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:37 PM
mikehimself
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You did a track day and didn't invite me?
Old 07-09-2018, 09:34 AM
nsogiba
Drifting

Originally Posted by mikehimself
You did a track day and didn't invite me?
Didn't know you had the C6Z all ready to go! I'll be going again this month once I get this oil consumption figured out.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:32 AM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Common issue on the track. I will be testing this setup on the 22nd.

Holley raised covers.
-10an lines tapped in the MIDDLE of the cover running into a catch can

-I added an Ls3 valley cover with pcv (it was removed before) and going to run a standard EE catch can. Debating on running the EE to atmosphere (away from the motor) or going into the intake manifold.

Old 07-10-2018, 01:36 PM
nsogiba
Drifting

Another user on the other LS forum suggested this, my concerns are attached

Originally Posted by 01camarosstx

this will keep it from happening!
Originally Posted by lq4-e39
so essentially just vent each valve cover into an air/oil separator, then cap the intake manifold and air bridge ports?

What is going to drive continuous evacuation of gases/vapors from the crankcase, and is that necessary on a street car that's driven hard (<212f oil temps every time i drive it ?

Last edited by nsogiba; 07-10-2018 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:17 PM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Pcv catch can is still installed from the valley cover on my setup.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:52 PM
nsogiba
Drifting

Right - which I think seems to be the best place to connect to the crankcase. However, I am running an L92 valley cover which doesn't have the port on the valley cover. If I decide to try that out I could probably just install an LS6 cover since my DoD bosses are tapped and plugged.

I ordered an air/oil separator that I'll mount (somewhere) and run the valve covers to, using the factory barbed connections, in addition to a catch can that ventilates the crankcase

Old 07-13-2018, 01:20 PM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

So swap the l92 cover to an ls3
cover with the pcv and the dod “plug” seals. Then run into a standard catch can. I’m running a setup like you have pictures from the valve covers only. Then an EE catch can from the valley
Old 07-13-2018, 01:21 PM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Ls6 cover won’t work on the L92 block.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:19 PM
nsogiba
Drifting

Ok, an update, with another setback.

I installed this:

Behind the driver's fender, on the frame, and ran a 3/8" hose from each valve cover directly to the ports on that air/oil separator to allow the crankcase to breathe.

Nipples on the air duct and intake manifold were capped off to eliminate any change of oil being ingested into the intake during high vacuum situation (high revs, decel, throttle shut).

I ran the car up to 6500rpm in 3rd gear and let off, and am still getting clouds of smoke out the back as oil is consumed. Since the intake tracts are capped there isn't any way for oil to get sucked in, so I'm somewhat stumped on how oil is entering the combustion chamber.

Valve seals are brand new, bottom end (original rings, etc) has about 80,000 miles on it. Thoughts?
Old 08-07-2018, 09:52 AM
David@MMS
Supporting Vendor

Received 221 Likes on 153 Posts

may take more than one time to clear out old build up, but if it keeps coming back i would look for the oiliest spark plug and put a new one in, if the oil comes back your work on the engine is not done.

even on the best setups you could have a whisp of oil smoke on severe engine braking like that. oil rings are not perfect seals.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:12 AM
nsogiba
Drifting

Sounds like I just need to go beat the snot out of it, and get it nice and hot.

I have no problem replacing any components that aren't working properly, but it's frustrating knowing everything except the rings is brand new.

I will take it out this Friday and flog it for a couple hours on the back roads, then throw in new plugs that evening.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:43 AM
nsogiba
Drifting

Friday night I took the car out with a couple buddies on the back roads and flogged it for a couple hours. Many WOT pulls, lots of high rev no load decel, lots of blue smoke. Never any smoke on WOT, only during the decel from high revs.

Changed out the plugs Saturday morning:

Driver's Side

Passenger Side

They don't look like they have any oil fouling to me, but then again I had a long drive home without any high rev decel which could have "burned them clean". Although, you'd figure they'd have all sorts of residue along the base.

Also worth mentioning is that I drained the air/oil separator immediately after the Friday night beatdown; to my surprise 2 cups of clear water (condensation) came out. No oil whatsoever.

Quick Reply: PCV/Catch Can routing for LS3/L92 C5