Notices
C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Evaluate my C5Z rear window seal

Old 06-19-2018, 10:30 PM
FYRARMS
CF Senior Member

Received 754 Likes on 535 Posts
Default Evaluate my C5Z rear window seal

Car only has 25K miles, and while the rear window seal looks perfect, I noticed this when doing some cleaning. The seal is still in the channel between the glass and roof, the ends of the seal are still bonded tightly, but this part along the middle is loose.

What would you guys do? Leave it alone, or use some type of adhesive? I am a little OCD about this car, so I am ready to buy whatever adhesive I am supposed to use. Suggestions?
Attached Images  
Old 06-19-2018, 11:04 PM
oneandgone
CF Senior Member

Received 96 Likes on 77 Posts

I think they have a C channel that goes onto the glass, all the way around, before the glass goes into the car. Therefore, the molding isn't actually attached to the car, just the glass, which is glued to the car. Mine can be lifted the same way. When I get around to a repaint I plan to eliminate the molding completely.
The following users liked this post:
FYRARMS (06-20-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 12:12 AM
FYRARMS
CF Senior Member

That makes sense, as I see no signs of adhesive anywhere. Just kind of bugs me that it is so loose. I never noticed it with my previous C5Z. Damned GM quality. LOL
Old 06-20-2018, 08:53 PM
jeff7251954
CF Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

My '04 does the same. Lays flat, but can easily be lifted as your pic shows.
FYRARMS (06-20-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 09:34 AM
mykream
CF Senior Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Here is the window reveal molding. You can replace this with the window in the car still.

I plan to just have my window removed and replace it then.

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-pa...lding-88948473
FYRARMS (06-21-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 09:40 AM
FYRARMS
CF Senior Member

At just 25K miles, I am hoping it doesn't need replacement. I was just curious about why a portion of it appeared to be loose.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:45 AM
mykream
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by FYRARMS View Post
At just 25K miles, I am hoping it doesn't need replacement. I was just curious about why a portion of it appeared to be loose.
It is loose because it is basically stretched/torn from itself.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:46 AM
mykream
CF Senior Member

Now mind you, it is not the actual window seal.. It is just a molding to cover the seal.

I need my actual seal redone as a good amount of high pressure water in the lower right corner will spritz some water past the seal into the car.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:29 PM
FYRARMS
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by mykream View Post
It is loose because it is basically stretched/torn from itself.
Originally Posted by mykream View Post
Now mind you, it is not the actual window seal.. It is just a molding to cover the seal.
Mine is definitely not torn or separated, as it can't be pulled up from the body channel. It is definitely still intact and is seated under the lip of the glass. I was also under the impression that the reveal molding IS the seal. I always thought the molding was attached to the window, and then the window was installed using windshield adhesive. In the side-view picture below, you can see the groove the window sits in on the right. The left side of the molding shown is where mine is loose. Just where that sits on the body.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:23 PM
oneandgone
CF Senior Member

Received 96 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by FYRARMS View Post
Mine is definitely not torn or separated, as it can't be pulled up from the body channel. It is definitely still intact and is seated under the lip of the glass. I was also under the impression that the reveal molding IS the seal. I always thought the molding was attached to the window, and then the window was installed using windshield adhesive. In the side-view picture below, you can see the groove the window sits in on the right. The left side of the molding shown is where mine is loose. Just where that sits on the body.
The molding is only for pretty, the seal is made by the urethane between the glass and the body. We actually have "rope" tape that we tuck under the lip of the molding where it meets the body. It's used to pull the lip up so that we can prep for and paint as far under it as possible. Over time the moldings shrink, lose flexibility, and crack. Yours sounds similar to mine, just a little looser fitting maybe. Mine gets water trapped under it that seeps out after a wash and seeps out seemingly forever. If you blow dry the car you'll see it lift up when you pass by it.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:24 AM
FYRARMS
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by oneandgone View Post
Mine gets water trapped under it that seeps out after a wash and seeps out seemingly forever. If you blow dry the car you'll see it lift up when you pass by it.
Yep, mine flips up when I use my blower. Bugs the hell out of me. Time for a little light adhesive...
Old 06-22-2018, 12:28 AM
FYRARMS
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by oneandgone View Post
The molding is only for pretty, the seal is made by the urethane between the glass and the body.
That is what I thought. There is no separate "seal", just the urethane adhesive. Then this damned flappy-flap molding that is annoying me. LOL

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Evaluate my C5Z rear window seal

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: