C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front shocks - supposed to be like this?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 09:00 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Received 197 Likes on 171 Posts

Default Front shocks - supposed to be like this?

This may be a dumb question but while finishing up a tie rod change I notice my drivers side shock sits quiet a bit closer to the control arm than the passenger side. The plastic guard actually touches it but the shock itself barely clears it. The passenger side has a bigger gap. There is no load on the suspension on either side. Anyone know if this is normal? Here is a pic for comparison.
Old 06-30-2018, 09:03 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

One more...

Old 06-30-2018, 10:30 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Not so dumb of a question.

Have you checked the mounting bolts at the top and bottom of the shocks to make sure that the shock is seatged/aligned properly?

Has the car ever been in an accident?
Old 06-30-2018, 10:40 PM
MSUGTO
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Something to keep in mind too is that it looks like the suspension is at full droop in that picture. With the car sitting on the ground you'll have more clearance between the A-arms and shocks.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:42 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
Not so dumb of a question.

Have you checked the mounting bolts at the top and bottom of the shocks to make sure that the shock is seatged/aligned properly?

Has the car ever been in an accident?
Yeah the bolts seem to be seated properly. It's never been in an accident since I've owned it but I did buy it used. It had a clear carfax when I bought it, so I don't know.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:46 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MSUGTO
Something to keep in mind too is that it looks like the suspension is at full droop in that picture. With the car sitting on the ground you'll have more clearance between the A-arms and shocks.
True, but with the suspension being at full droop on both sides shouldn't the clearances between the shock and control arm be the same on both sides?!
Old 06-30-2018, 10:50 PM
MSUGTO
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bwill03z
True, but with the suspension being at full droop on both sides shouldn't the clearances between the shock and control arm be the same on both sides?!
Should be, how's the clearance of the body of the shock, yellow part, look? The blue part is just a shield.
Old 06-30-2018, 11:04 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MSUGTO

Should be, how's the clearance of the body of the shock, yellow part, look? The blue part is just a shield.
The body of the shock is not touching the control arm but it is definately alot closer to it than the passenger side is. I know it's hard to tell from the pics, I will try to take better ones tomorrow. Looking at it - it is the right side of the shock I'm comparing. I just happened to look at it and see how close it was to touching so I checked the pass side and it was a very obvious difference. If you look at that second set of pics I posted I pulled the shield close to the shock body so you could get an idea of how close the body was.

Last edited by bwill03z; 06-30-2018 at 11:06 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 12:23 AM
Dbl_D718
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 93 Posts

Mine is the same way. I actually was just reminded of it today because I was changing shocks. Don't worry about it though, the difference is probably due to different numbers of washers under your control arm mounts on each side. My passenger side has two washers, driver's side has one.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:31 AM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dbl_D718
Mine is the same way. I actually was just reminded of it today because I was changing shocks. Don't worry about it though, the difference is probably due to different numbers of washers under your control arm mounts on each side. My passenger side has two washers, driver's side has one.
I will take a look today and see if mine also has two washers on pass side and one on drivers side. Hopefully thats all it is.

Get notified of new replies

To Front shocks - supposed to be like this?

Quick Reply: Front shocks - supposed to be like this?