C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the most common issue with the HUD?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 08:25 AM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Received 577 Likes on 366 Posts

Default What's the most common issue with the HUD?

I bought a 2004 C5 a few years back, and the HUD was not working. This was not a problem at the time, but after my recent heads/cam upgrade, it's hard to shift at redline with any consistency (it's a manual). I did a search for HUD, but didn't see anything. Does anyone know, or know of any threads, on how to troubleshoot the HUD in a C5?
Old 07-17-2018, 08:29 AM
Mickeyrx70
Melting Slicks

Received 680 Likes on 570 Posts

Old 07-17-2018, 05:35 PM
JBB
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sstonebreaker
I bought a 2004 C5 a few years back, and the HUD was not working. This was not a problem at the time, but after my recent heads/cam upgrade, it's hard to shift at redline with any consistency (it's a manual). I did a search for HUD, but didn't see anything. Does anyone know, or know of any threads, on how to troubleshoot the HUD in a C5?

Look at an angle see if you see the green light at all. Mine was cranked way down. Honestly (while it is kinda cool) it is probably not what you need for high perf use. The stock tach is much clearer to read.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:01 PM
rock_man
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Perhaps you need to change the display page to see the digital tach better?
My HUD is stuck is on the lowest, down position and cannot be moved up. This is due to a plastic part inside that cracks and needs to be replaced with a DIY metal screw. Here is the post:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-display.html

I still need to fix mine, but I'll wait for crappy weather for the downtime.

Cheers!
Old 07-18-2018, 09:29 AM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JBB
Look at an angle see if you see the green light at all. Mine was cranked way down. Honestly (while it is kinda cool) it is probably not what you need for high perf use. The stock tach is much clearer to read.
I took a look this morning through the windshield before I drove to work. No light coming from the HUD at all, and I fiddled with the controls to see if I could make it come on.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:51 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Randall, probably the most common problem with the HUD is when the plastic hinge pin breaks (one of the two hinge pins is metal and rarely fails) and the HUD 'drops'. This prevents you from being able to raise the HUD high enough to see it. However if this does occur, you can stand outside of the car when the HUD is on, and look down into the projector through the windshield and see the projector is working. If you do this and see nothing at all, the HUD is probably not powered up.

Attached are a couple of papers that were posted here in the past and may prove helpful. One covers installing a HUD in a car that did not come equipped with one and the other shows how to repair the projector when the plastic hinge pin breaks and the HUD drops. If you read through them, you will at least have a better understanding of how the HUD works and the various pieces that interface to make it work. Basically the HUD is taking information supplied by the instrument cluster and displaying it on the windscreen for you to view. If your instrument cluster is working correctly, the problem probably lies within the projector or the cable that carries the data from the cluster to the projector.

The first thing I would do is verify that the HUD is operational by looking into the projector from outside the windshield.

Good luck, and let us know what you find... GUSTO
Attached Files
File Type: doc
C5 HUD Instal.doc (391.0 KB, 37 views)
File Type: doc
C5 HUD REPAIR.doc (1.50 MB, 44 views)
Old 07-19-2018, 08:34 AM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Has anyone ever tried to install a C6 or even a C7 HUD in a C5?
Old 07-19-2018, 08:41 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by sstonebreaker
Has anyone ever tried to install a C6 or even a C7 HUD in a C5?
You might want to contact Marc at Marc@Vettenuts.net, he would probably be able to answer that question and may even have what you need to accomplish the job.

Good luck... GUSTO
The following users liked this post:
sstonebreaker (07-19-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 02:52 PM
craigp40
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agree with what Gusto said on the hinge pin. I had to fix mine a little over a year ago and it wasn't fun. Probably took me 6-7 straight hours to do, but most of that was tearing the entire dash apart to reach it. It was my first time so I took it slow. Even if the HUD is dead, you'll have to do the same thing to get to it.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:04 PM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

The HUD id definitely dead. I can see the screen of the projector when I look through the windshield. I was hoping to troubleshoot it before I tore into the dash.

Last edited by sstonebreaker; 07-20-2018 at 03:05 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To What's the most common issue with the HUD?

Quick Reply: What's the most common issue with the HUD?