C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Body bypass kit!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 11:13 AM
My1stONE
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Throttle Body bypass kit!

I live in southern Arizona where 100°+ temp's are the norm. My car usually runs around 220° or close to it with the AC on, which is always in the spring summer and early fall!!!

I saw this bypass kit for the coolant that runs through the throttle body and it sounds like it would help cool the air entering the throttle body. It's a simple fix consisting of a brass double ended nipple and two clamps. So I'm wondering if anyone has tried this kit and if so did you notice any difference? I would think that anything that takes heat away from the throttle body would help with performance. So if you have tried this please let me know how you like it. Its not expensive but I don't want to do anything if it doesn't change things for the better. Thanks for your help with this.

Last edited by My1stONE; 07-19-2018 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Missed word
Old 07-19-2018, 11:38 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

the only thing it will do is make it easier and less messy when you remove the intake since you won't have to remove that coolant line... there is really no performance gain
Old 07-19-2018, 12:58 PM
My1stONE
Advanced

Hi so living in southern Arizona you know exactly what I'm talking about. My engine doesn't overheat but it does run very warm! The thought of that heat going through the throttle body confuse me. I don't know why they designed it that way. So I thought that lowering the temperature youdy be doing the engine a big favor. I too can put the kit together myself for about half the price of the one I was looking at. But if everyone thinks that it won't make a difference in the running of the engine or the performance then I guess I won't bother putting it in. Thanks for your reply. Stay cool!!!
Old 07-19-2018, 01:59 PM
My Vette Life
Safety Car

Received 240 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by My1stONE
I live in southern Arizona where 100°+ temp's are the norm. My car usually runs around 220° or close to it with the AC on, which is always in the spring summer and early fall!!!

I saw this bypass kit for the coolant that runs through the throttle body and it sounds like it would help cool the air entering the throttle body. It's a simple fix consisting of a brass double ended nipple and two clamps. So I'm wondering if anyone has tried this kit and if so did you notice any difference? I would think that anything that takes heat away from the throttle body would help with performance. So if you have tried this please let me know how you like it. Its not expensive but I don't want to do anything if it doesn't change things for the better. Thanks for your help with this.
go to home depot and pick up the part you need to connect the hoses together. Spend Less that $5.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:33 PM
pjdbm
Drifting

Received 291 Likes on 228 Posts

It does make it much easier to take off the throttle body to clean it thoroughly, ill be doing it just for that and no other reason.

Last edited by pjdbm; 07-20-2018 at 03:20 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:14 PM
My1stONE
Advanced

Default Throttle Body Bypass

Thanks everyone for your post and advice. I think I'm going to put on my own kit this way I can make sure it looks like it belongs there and then I can take care of cleaning the throttle body. It's not terrible but it could stand to be cleaned properly. And I don't plan on changing the intake unless I get a great deal on a stock LS6 one. Otherwise ill stick with the stock one that's on there. Thanks again for your time and help.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:21 PM
rock_man
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, don't expect ANY performance improvements. This shade tree mechanic "mod" was already done to my 04Z when I acquired it, so it will stay that way. I don't drive it in the winter anyway. Good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To Throttle Body bypass kit!

Quick Reply: Throttle Body bypass kit!