C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

column lock bypass issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 08:31 AM
johnhm85
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default column lock bypass issue

i installed a CLB on my 99 vette but still get the "service column lock" in the DIC. Can anyone help??
My wheel is stuck unlocked which i thought would make it a bit easier on me but it appears not.
any guidance is GREATLY appreciated!
Old 08-10-2018, 09:43 AM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

1) Which CLB do you have installed?

2A) If the answer to number 1 is the LMC5, then you probably need to do the brown wire mod.

2B) If the answer to number 1 is not the LMC5, then you probably need to install the LMC5 and perform the brown wire mod.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:00 AM
johnhm85
Heel & Toe

I got the CLB kit from corvette world in Houston...they guy who sold it to me said “should be simple” “I’ve installed hundreds”.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:02 AM
johnhm85
Heel & Toe

Made by “tick performance”
Old 08-10-2018, 10:10 AM
mmartinez
Melting Slicks

Received 508 Likes on 425 Posts

You state that your steering wheel is stuck unlocked, that is what a CLB does, it prevents the steering from locking but also prevents the Service Colum Lock message and the 2 mph fuel shut off. You may have wanted to say that your steering wheel is locked? Install the LMC5 and do the brown wire mod, and have no more problems.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:35 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Can someone elaborate on the "brown wire mod".
Is this to stop the "remove key for ten seconds" message?

Old 08-10-2018, 02:54 PM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by johnhm85
I got the CLB kit from corvette world in Houston...they guy who sold it to me said “should be simple” “I’ve installed hundreds”.
As 8VETTE7 alluded to above, that style CLB can have issues with 99-00 model cars because of how recall issues were handled. Sometimes, like on my '99, you can install those CLBs and there are no issues. Other times issues can creep up.

The LMC5 is usually the end-all product for any column lock anomalies that arise.

​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach
The LMC5's brown wire mod is used when you have the LMC5 installed but are still receiving column lock related messages. Performing the action can help to eliminate pull key messages.
The following users liked this post:
JrRifleCoach (08-11-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 02:56 PM
Golfingbob
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 2002 6 speed that has the CLB already installed. It is the one from Corvette World in Texas. Should I replace this with another unit?
Old 08-10-2018, 08:26 PM
johnhm85
Heel & Toe

I appreciate all the feedback and help. I have ordered the lmc5 as I believe you’re right 8vette on the 99-00 models being slightly different. It will be in on Monday and I will install.

Thanks again....I will update Monday
Old 08-10-2018, 08:33 PM
Golfingbob
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
The answer is "It Depends". What were the symptoms that cause you to get a CLB installed? Did you ever actually experience the 2mph fuel shutoff on the car?

The CLB is functionally similar to an LMC5 but it does require a higher battery voltage to function correctly than does an LMC5. That is important because the CLB like the LMC5 is responding to column lock commands from the BCM in place of the lock motor. If the cars battery goes low and the CLB does NOT respond to a BCM unlock command, the BCM sends an "enable fuel shutoff" command to the PCM. Then when you start the car and attempt to drive off the PCM shuts off fuel to the engine and the car stalls. The 2mph fuel shutoff was part of the flashing of the PCM that was supposed to happen when a stealership did the column lock recall service. Other than with a tuning tool like EFI Live or HP Tuners there is no easy way to know if the reflash of the PCM was actually done. And if it was done and the car received a "tune" it is possible that the 2mph value was altered to be a high number like 200 or 255.

If you don't know what the original symptoms for installing a CLB were and/or you want assurance that you won't get left stranded by the 2mph fuel shutoff if/when the battery goes low then get an LMC5 installed and do the "brown wire mod" described as "optional;" on page 2 of the LMC5 install instructions. The LMC5 responds correctly even at battery voltages that will not crank the engine so the chances of getting stranded with an LMC5 installed are virtually none.

The LMC5 abandons all column lock wiring after the BCM so you don't need to worry about a CLB that might be installed or which of the multiple GM Recall Services was done to the car. LMC5 installs right at the BCM so any wiring AFTER the BCM doesn't matter.
Thanks,
Don't know what issues caused it to be installed or if there were any. I know the factory recall Was done also. So I just leave the CLB hooked up and install the LMC5.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:52 PM
mike schanuth
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by johnhm85
i installed a CLB on my 99 vette but still get the "service column lock" in the DIC. Can anyone help??
My wheel is stuck unlocked which i thought would make it a bit easier on me but it appears not.
any guidance is GREATLY appreciated!
I also installed the clb on my 1999 frc about 9 years ago and it just failed I think cause im right back to only moving 2 miles an hour and service colum lock anyone else had this failure??
Old 08-13-2018, 01:37 AM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

When you install the LMC5, you should no longer see the "wait 10 sec. message. The original instructions state that the brown wire mod is optional. It appears that after LMC5 installation, some cars still get the message so it's better to do the brown wire mode preventively.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:51 AM
johnhm85
Heel & Toe

Ok so i installed the LMC5 a few days ago with NO issues at all...quick and simple process and good to go now!! Thanks to all for the support!!

Also, it is worth mentioning that Richard from Complianceparts was AWESOME! I called to ask about ordering and he is EXTREMEMLY knowledgeable about this issue and this part!! if you have questions, he is more than willing to help you troubleshoot AND he has pretty much seen it all from what i can tell....he knows differences between 99,98,01, etc....Great guy and a ton of help!

Thanks again!! If you are experiencing the "service column lock" or "pull key" message, get on amazon and order the LMC5! after 20 minutes you will have no more issues!!

Get notified of new replies

To column lock bypass issue

Quick Reply: column lock bypass issue