C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing O2 Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 11:33 PM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

Default Changing O2 Sensors

Lately I've been getting O2 codes on the DIC of 133 and 153. I plan to go to ECS to get Doug to check my tune, but I figure since I have an oil change due, I would put new sensors in before I head down there. Besides, the exhaust smells more than it used to and gas mileage has gotten worse. I have LG headers with two sensors deleted and the rears moved forward. My question is, is there a particular brand of sensor that seems to work better than others? Denso, Bosch? I had no luck with AC. Looking for educated opinions from people who have changed theirs. Since it is a real pain to get under my car (lowered) I'd like to do this only once.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:12 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,300 Likes on 13,973 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Moved to C5 Tech.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:00 AM
bravo29
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Bosch. Don't buy the universal ones. Direct connect for the vehicle.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:33 AM
midnight01
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by striper
Lately I've been getting O2 codes on the DIC of 133 and 153. I plan to go to ECS to get Doug to check my tune, but I figure since I have an oil change due, I would put new sensors in before I head down there. Besides, the exhaust smells more than it used to and gas mileage has gotten worse. I have LG headers with two sensors deleted and the rears moved forward. My question is, is there a particular brand of sensor that seems to work better than others? Denso, Bosch? I had no luck with AC. Looking for educated opinions from people who have changed theirs. Since it is a real pain to get under my car (lowered) I'd like to do this only once.
I get those codes too, Sometimes they go away and sometimes they come back. Its because of your headers. I have them set to not trigger the cel but still report to me after the second failure. I use the stock rear O2 sensors up front, I tried the denso's and also some generic ones and they only lasted less then 2K miles and literally died on me and my car was misfiring and running like crap. Its also all in how you are tuned, If you are on the rich side, the O2's seem to burn up faster. I got mine to start not throwing the codes as much by tuning my MAF and altering my ve tables.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:30 PM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,689 Posts

Hello my NJ Bud !!
You starting getting the 133/153 after the header install ??...I don't like to fiddle with "tuned" cars but if you still get the DTC's after your tune I'm not all that far away so I can probably check it out for you !!...my '01 O2'S are starting to get a little lazy but I'm too lazy to change them !!
Old 09-12-2018, 03:11 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

The issue with LT headers is that the front 02's are moved futher back then the stock locations as much as 3' The front 02's are designed to only worl the best in the stock locations This is whu LT's are illegal in most stares----It causes the front 02's to not heat up or read correctly and your engine will run rich at P/T and the mileage suffers--- There is no 100% fix for this however some good results have been had by lowereing your front 02 switching points to make the 02's oscilate at a leaner AFR--It is a trial and error process only accomplished using a widebamd 02 set-up I would start by lowering the switching points by "100" to the whole table and using a wideband see if your P/T AFR's get leaner closer to the stoich 14.68-1---( typically LT's will make your P/T fueling go very rich into the 12's)
The following users liked this post:
1luckyVette (09-25-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 06:23 PM
FL1BY
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I just replace my O2s, and I have LG long tubes also. Used Bosch. I had similar codes and also PO305 (#5 cylinder misfire). Car idled terrible while in gear. Cured all of its issues.

Bosch 13111, 47 inch connection lead. worked like a charm.
striper (09-14-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 01:09 AM
1luckyVette
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tblu92
The issue with LT headers is that the front 02's are moved futher back then the stock locations as much as 3' The front 02's are designed to only worl the best in the stock locations This is whu LT's are illegal in most stares----It causes the front 02's to not heat up or read correctly and your engine will run rich at P/T and the mileage suffers--- There is no 100% fix for this however some good results have been had by lowereing your front 02 switching points to make the 02's oscilate at a leaner AFR--It is a trial and error process only accomplished using a widebamd 02 set-up I would start by lowering the switching points by "100" to the whole table and using a wideband see if your P/T AFR's get leaner closer to the stoich 14.68-1---( typically LT's will make your P/T fueling go very rich into the 12's)
Wow ! Good info. never thought about that after my long tube header install . Ongoing research and check engine light that points to O2's.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:36 AM
FreeC5inAZ
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That isn't all necessarily accurate. I'll start with O2's not heating up...maybe that was true with old narrow-band single wire units, but ours have heated elements in them so they are hot enough to work within just a few minutes. They will work fine with LT's without needing to tweak the tune.
1luckyVette (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 09:12 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Ahhh,,, That is,,, IF, your O2 Heater Circuit/s are working properly.

The C5 can have a couple of problemsthat prevent the heaters from functioning correctly or functioning at all. One is the ignition voltage that powers the circuit that comes out of the ignition switch and the other is the actual circuit ground. It can become corroded at the splice pack behind the battery. I strongly recommend the anyone who is having O2 sensor troubles, at a minimum check the VOLTAGE and CURRENT to the sensors and the ground path out of the sensors for proper continuity.

Check the OXYSEN Fuse test points (on top of the fuse) to chassis ground and insure that there is full battery voltage at both test points. I would also recommend LOAD testing those fuse test points with a test light to see if there is adequate current flowing through that circuit to support heater operation. A standard automotive brake light bulb will do the job fine.

If the ignition switch electrical contacts are burnt/carboned up, it will limit current and voltage. Very common problem in the C5.

Bill
FreeC5inAZ (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 07:12 PM
FreeC5inAZ
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee

The C5 can have a couple of problemsthat prevent the heaters from functioning correctly or functioning at all. One is the ignition voltage that powers the circuit that comes out of the ignition switch and the other is the actual circuit ground. It can become corroded at the splice pack behind the battery. I strongly recommend the anyone who is having O2 sensor troubles, at a minimum check the VOLTAGE and CURRENT to the sensors and the ground path out of the sensors for proper continuity.

Check the OXYSEN Fuse test points (on top of the fuse) to chassis ground and insure that there is full battery voltage at both test points. I would also recommend LOAD testing those fuse test points with a test light to see if there is adequate current flowing through that circuit to support heater operation. A standard automotive brake light bulb will do the job fine.

If the ignition switch electrical contacts are burnt/carboned up, it will limit current and voltage. Very common problem in the C5.

Bill
All true and excellent diagnostic info.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:31 PM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,689 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee

Bill
Agree 100% !!...”load testing” O2 heater circuits and really any circuit is the way to go !!...I use a few bulbs...4.5A and a #7440 bulb for O2’s at 1.75A ....works great !!
Old 09-26-2018, 01:04 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

I ordered a pair of Bosch 13111 O2 sensors. Since it is such a pain to get under my car, I've waited until it's time to change my oil. No change in the code situation, so I've got a few things to do at one time while under there. Tuner says once I change them he'll go over the tune and make sure everything is okay. I'm not having any problems with the car running but it stinks worse than it used to and mileage is down a bit. I'm hoping I can get this fixed. The car has run better so I'm hoping to find out what has changed.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:32 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by FreeC5inAZ
That isn't all necessarily accurate. I'll start with O2's not heating up...maybe that was true with old narrow-band single wire units, but ours have heated elements in them so they are hot enough to work within just a few minutes. They will work fine with LT's without needing to tweak the tune.
All stock front 02's are all NARROWBAND 02's
Old 09-28-2018, 11:15 AM
FreeC5inAZ
Advanced

All stock front 02's are all NARROWBAND 02's
My statements are still 100% true.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:07 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

My statements are still 100% true.
Yes that may be true with a stock exhaust manifold if you are getting incorrect 02 voltage readings However with LT headers being that the front 02 bungs can be moved as much as 3' aft they will never ever read 100% accurately again---The stock narrowband front 02's are not designed to read correctly with LT headrs installations--Again that;s why they are illegal in most staes---as when the 02;s read wrong and don't heat up they will read erroneous 02 data and that is always make your engine run PIG RICH at P/T
Old 10-02-2018, 12:27 PM
FreeC5inAZ
Advanced

Yes that may be true with a stock exhaust manifold if you are getting incorrect 02 voltage readings However with LT headers being that the front 02 bungs can be moved as much as 3' aft they will never ever read 100% accurately again---The stock narrowband front 02's are not designed to read correctly with LT headrs installations--Again that;s why they are illegal in most staes---as when the 02;s read wrong and don't heat up they will read erroneous 02 data and that is always make your engine run PIG RICH at P/T
They are HEATED. There are smog legal headers that relocate the O2's so I don't know where you are getting the information about LT's being illegal. Yes, there are LT headers that are legal even in CA and they move the O2 sensors and the O2 sensors are fine because they are HEATED. They are not like the old single wire that relied on exhaust to heat them up. Research it.

Get notified of new replies

To Changing O2 Sensors

Old 10-05-2018, 02:12 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

They are HEATED. There are smog legal headers that relocate the O2's so I don't know where you are getting the information about LT's being illegal. Yes, there are LT headers that are legal even in CA and they move the O2 sensors and the O2 sensors are fine because they are HEATED. They are not like the old single wire that relied on exhaust to heat them up. Research it.
A;ll LS based engines 4.8 5.3 5.7 6.0 6.2 use heated 02 sensors
LT headers are all ILLEGAL in Calif and smog states PERIOD
Stock exhaust manifollds and shorty headers retain the stock front 02 locations about 18" from the head--However due to the long tubes of LT's there is no way you could have the 02's 18" from the head ---Otherise the 02 bung would have to be placed in a single exh. tube That makes no sense----
Not only will the P/T fueling become rich so will the WOT become rich with LT's--You can try to correct the P/T fueling by lowewring the switching point as I mentioned BUT at WOT the use of a wideband and tuning will allow you to correct the WOT fueling via tuning
Old 10-05-2018, 11:59 AM
FreeC5inAZ
Advanced

A;ll LS based engines 4.8 5.3 5.7 6.0 6.2 use heated 02 sensors
LT headers are all ILLEGAL in Calif and smog states PERIOD
Stock exhaust manifollds and shorty headers retain the stock front 02 locations about 18" from the head--However due to the long tubes of LT's there is no way you could have the 02's 18" from the head ---Otherise the 02 bung would have to be placed in a single exh. tube That makes no sense----
Not only will the P/T fueling become rich so will the WOT become rich with LT's--You can try to correct the P/T fueling by lowewring the switching point as I mentioned BUT at WOT the use of a wideband and tuning will allow you to correct the WOT fueling via tuning
Well crap, I hope no one tells the smog inspectors here in AZ that my LT's aren't legal because they have been passing them with no issues.

I know all I need to know about you based on this and a few other replies you have given to stuff. I truly hope no one listens to your drivel because you are way off base on some things. I guess it is just time to block you so I don't have to get aggravated listening to all the incorrect crap that you spew.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:09 PM
DRR
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is just my 2 cents...
It may be hard to believe but here in Cali they set up random smog checks where they funnel one coned off lane thru a mobile inspection station. CHP runs the inspection and they first do a visual.
So yeah, you don't want to get your car impounded. But this is Cali, and so there are people who take the risk.
But cars that came without smog are treated differently. Old vintage car smog rules are not the same here in Cali. They are exempt.

But here is my question-
I just changed my pre cat o2 sensors. I used an o2 sensor socket that has - I think a torque multiplier- won't that make the torque reading different?
How do I figure out how much torque I put on the sensor?

Last edited by DRR; 10-05-2018 at 11:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Changing O2 Sensors