C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch fluid change.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 11:19 PM
2000 black c5
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default clutch fluid change.

So doing maintenance stuff on 2000 C5 with 31,000. mi on it. Not a big time mechanic. Was going to change as much clutch fluid (probably not able to get much) using "ranger method" as car probably has original fluid from 18 years ago. Understand suck out as much fluid as possible from master with turkey baster type thing but not dry to bottom to keep from letting any air into system, refill with fresh then pumping clutch pedal 30+ times and repeat till clear.

Dot 4 synthetic any better than regular old dot 3? Anything else to consider? No clutch problems at present or at least until I start messing with.

Appreciate any input from owners who actually know what they are doing,

Thanks!
Old 09-12-2018, 12:18 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Ranger method is pretty worthless. I ended up installing a remote bleeder after doing it the hard way a couple of times. You have to drop the h pipe and tunnel pan to access the stock bleeder. Do that though and the fluid will stay cleaner much longer than the ranger method. I didn't even get around the block and my fluid was black again. I must have performed 20 fluid exchanges and the result was the same every time.
The following users liked this post:
2000 black c5 (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 12:50 AM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

I've done the "ranger" method 3-4 times over 20 years.
I use the "GM Clutch fluid".. not sure if it has an additive, but I think it's not straight brake fluid??

I can't say that it helped for sure.. but it sure didn't hurt! 80K miles and 20 years later.. original clutch, original fluid (other than partial flushes).
Old 09-12-2018, 09:59 AM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

My dad has worked at a GM service department for 30 some years.
He recently advised me that yes, GM fluid has an additive, and further advised failure to use same may cause issues with the clutch hoses/seals.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:10 PM
2000 black c5
Advanced

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
Ranger method is pretty worthless. I ended up installing a remote bleeder after doing it the hard way a couple of times. You have to drop the h pipe and tunnel pan to access the stock bleeder. Do that though and the fluid will stay cleaner much longer than the ranger method. I didn't even get around the block and my fluid was black again. I must have performed 20 fluid exchanges and the result was the same every time.
Yeah didn't think ranger method was going to do much but as another member said, probably can't hurt. Your method sounds like way to go but lots of work. Probably go lazy man route for now as clutch seems to be fine.
Thanks.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:20 PM
2000 black c5
Advanced

Originally Posted by SDVette
I've done the "ranger" method 3-4 times over 20 years.
I use the "GM Clutch fluid".. not sure if it has an additive, but I think it's not straight brake fluid??

I can't say that it helped for sure.. but it sure didn't hurt! 80K miles and 20 years later.. original clutch, original fluid (other than partial flushes).
Sounds like a good testimonial for following your example.
Manual say use "Hydraulic Clutch Fluid GM part no. 12345347 OR equivalent DOT 3 Brake fluid" so makes me wonder if additive in the GM stuff. Who knows.
New problem in that I've searched web for the GM stuff but with part number, keeps coming up as "discontinued"
Always something. will check with dealer.
Thanks.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:38 PM
2000 black c5
Advanced

Originally Posted by aj98
My dad has worked at a GM service department for 30 some years.
He recently advised me that yes, GM fluid has an additive, and further advised failure to use same may cause issues with the clutch hoses/seals.
Thanks for that valuable insight.

Been trying to find the GM fluid. Manual say use " Hydraulic Clutch Fluid (GM Part No. 12345347 OR equivalent DOT-3 Brake fluid) keeps coming up at different sites as "discontinued" with GM part number.

If there is an additive in the GM stuff wonder why they also recommend DOT-3? Maybe they figure let the hoses and seals take a beating so you'll come in for the repairs.

Also saw somewhere that GM now recommends DOT-4 (I think synthetic) for all corvette clutch fluid. Could definitely be wrong about that as i can't even remember where i read it.

Any idea where I might be able to find the GM fluid? I will call dealer to check. Or should I maybe just go with DOT-4 synthetic? Might be only choice.

Thanks again.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:57 PM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

Idk. Earlier this year when I told him my clutch was acting up / sticking to the floor / not releasing and I was doing the ranger method with dot4, thought he was going to have a cow. Amongst other things, thats when he told me about whatever additive in the GM fluid - IIRC, it was a silicone based - which is what causes the fluid to become dark.

ultimately had to replace the slave cyl. Been fine ever since.

Last edited by aj98; 09-12-2018 at 11:58 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To clutch fluid change.

Quick Reply: clutch fluid change.