Do I need a diff brace? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need a diff brace?

Old 09-17-2018, 03:14 PM
dork
CF Senior Member

Default Do I need a diff brace?

I don't drag my z06. Once in a great while I'll track it, but I doubt that makes any difference... Aside from replacement valve springs, headers, a Callaway Honker CAI and a Chuck Cow Tune, the engine is bone stock. When the clutch died I replaced some of the components with a Tick Master, MacLeod RST, a 14-lb Lwt flywheel, and 4.10 gears.

Before I finally decided on the 4.10 gears, I was considering an H/C/I build targeting ~470rwhp, but decided against it. However, during that time, I found a PFADT differential brace for sale and bought it as I stocked up on parts.

Would the car benefit by my installing it? I know most guys install them to cure wheel hop and as their mods cross the 450rwhp mark, but my car is mostly stock as far as HP goes, so I wonder if it serves any purpose to install the PFADT? I don't think it'd help save the differential whatsoever, but I thought I'd ask them who'd know.

Thanks, Guys!
The Following User Says Thank You to dork For This Useful Post:
Chuck CoW (09-20-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 04:46 PM
grantv
CF Senior Member

I guess the question goes back, do you ever get wheel hop? I know with my close to stock 04Z I do. Depends on time of year, temps, road conditions... and my right foot.
I'd install one if it was in my possession.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:07 PM
neutron82
Bangin' Gears
Support Corvetteforum!

if you already have it then install it in my opinion
Old 09-17-2018, 08:19 PM
Route99
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '17-18

Agree - you have it and might as well install it.
It won't hurt to have it on and with 4.10 gears you have increased the likelihood that you might get some wheel hop.
And, who knows, you might get the crazies one day and take it to the strip.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:31 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 1,226 Times in 973 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

From what I understand, the brace does not limit, stop or eliminate wheel hop. Nor does to prevent the damage caused by wheel hop. The brace helps clamp the trans to the diff and differential side covers to prevent them from trying to separate under high HP/Tq applications.

When you have enough traction the differential ring gear and the pinion try to push apart. The brace helps the cases resist that force.

If you are experiencing wheel hop, you need to address the following things to help prevent it:

- Better tires
- Better differential mount
- Better engine mounts
- Better shocks
After all of that, you can still have some drivetrain shake/wheel hop but it will be more controlled..

Once you get all the traction that you can, no wheel hop, your next week link is the weak C5 parts in the differential. (output shafts, belieview springs and clutches.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:59 PM
dork
CF Senior Member

ARGH. I meant I have a PFADT "transmission mount", not a "transmission/differential brace"... what I've got doesn't resemble a "frame" to bolt the tranny and differential together. I don't have the DTE-type "brace" like the one below

My brace looks like this:

Duh. I'm sorry for the error. And thanks again for all ya'lls advice!

So... the question again... do you think the car would benefit if I installed this yoke? I don't ever remember ever experiencing any wheel hop when I've hammered it.

Thanks again!

Last edited by dork; 09-18-2018 at 06:10 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:42 AM
JHrinsin
CF Senior Member

I good friend of mine runs C5's in NASA and said he has video from one of his cars on track where they put a camera in the back to monitor just how much the trany/diff assembly moved around on the stock rear mount. He was amazed by the amount of movement. Personally I think the C5 rear trany/diff mount is a fairly **** poor design engineering wise - this was addressed by the factory with the C6. The PFADT rear mount brace addresses this shortcoming. But, not without any side effects - from what I understand is that in a street driven car you may not like the increased amount of NVH that will be transmitted into the interior cabin due to the installation of the brace. So as always, YMMV.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:19 PM
Chuck CoW
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14
Default in my opinion.....

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee View Post
From what I understand, the brace does not limit, stop or eliminate wheel hop. Nor does to prevent the damage caused by wheel hop. The brace helps clamp the trans to the diff and differential side covers to prevent them from trying to separate under high HP/Tq applications.

When you have enough traction the differential ring gear and the pinion try to push apart. The brace helps the cases resist that force.

If you are experiencing wheel hop, you need to address the following things to help prevent it:

- Better tires
- Better differential mount
- Better engine mounts
- Better shocks
After all of that, you can still have some drivetrain shake/wheel hop but it will be more controlled..

Once you get all the traction that you can, no wheel hop, your next week link is the weak C5 parts in the differential. (output shafts, belieview springs and clutches.
All good points to consider. I'm not a fan of changing good GM original engine or diff mounts unless they are broken and C6ZO6 shocks and sway bars along with good tires

should fix you up right......

The light weight flywheel is a NO NO in any street driven car in my opinion for a few reasons.

The brace sound nice, but after you listen to it rattle against your exhaust for a few thousand miles... you'll want to kill yourself.

Unless you simply WHEEL HOP or HAMMER your car to death (both of those reasons cause the same problems) you should have no reason to

install a diff brace or rigid mounts.

Chuck CoW

WE ARE AN EDELBROCK AUTHORIZED E-FORCE
SUPERCHARGER DEALER and INSTALL FACILITY.

CLICK HERE: To go to the full magazine story.

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: